When you're all grown up!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Tinkabell, May 21, 2006.

1. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Ok, so I've had quite a few changes in my life this last year or so, for the better may I add. But, it got me thinking about when I was a little Tinkabell, and what I wanted to be when I was all grown up.
    I wanted to be a Graphic Designer or an Art Teacher. But after finishing collage, I took a job in the civil service, just to get a bit of experience in the grown up world of work, and have been in the department ever since!

So my questions to all you tMPers:
    • What did you want to be when you're all grown up?
    • What have you turned out to be? (apart from banding geeks and drunken bums!!):tongue:
    • Would you change it if you could?
  2. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

I wanted to be a forensic scientist just like Quincey!! Except I wanted half naked men on my boat :tongue:

But that didn't happen as I discovered what exactly was involved & I'm a bit squeamish. This was proved one day in college when we had to remove a sheeps eye from its orbital socket in order to examine the extrinsic muscles. Apparantly I went a lovely shade of green.

So now I'm a Dispensing Optician serving the optical needs of people in Bolton!! :rolleyes: Sometimes I really, really, really wish I could change what I do. Especially after days like I had yesterday. Jo Public can be a real pain in the you-know-what. But generally speaking, pretty happy with it.
  3. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I never knew what I wanted to be. Still don't. Although I think at some stage I wanted to be a rally driver.
    What I am is a library assistant in a 6th Form college which at the moment I rather enjoy.
    I did always want to play in a band from the age of 7 when my Dad went back to it on cornet.
  4. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I wanted to be a Farmer, my big sister wanted to be a pilot and my little sister wanted to be a boxer! None of us went on to meet those early career goals!

I'm not a Farmer (although am always open to a bit of sheep tending when I go home!) Like BMB I'm not sure what I really wanted to be and after trying pharmacology for 2 years and drinking and partying pretty much constantly, I had a 'change' of career and I'm currently trying my hand at primary teaching and doing much better!

As for would I change it - I wouldn't take away my failed 2 years at Leeds for anything, I had an awesome time. Not sure if I'd change from teaching - think I need to qualify first before I can answer that!
  5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I wanted to be a copper or a racing driver...

I am now a Mechanical Engineer.

Would I change it? Well, it can be a challenging and rewarding job, but the pay is rubbish (especially considering the amount of training and knowledge needed) and in my current job I'm frequently under pressure to deliver projects with ever-shortenening lead times and ever reducing budgets, but the projects themselves are more and more complex and the baseline costs of parts is increasing (steel and aluminum is getting damned expensive!). A problem for most people maybe, but a heck of a lot can go wrong with a one-off machine made up of a couple of thousand individual parts, and churning out 1000's of products a minute, so limited time and bugets only add to this. As I say, challenging and demanding (especially recently :( ) I guess I'm happy with it, I just wish I got a bit more for it thats all!
  6. blakeyboy

blakeyboy Member

I can remember wanting to be a train driver, but I wanted to drive Thomas the Tank Engine and no other!! So, gave that up for a game of soldiers. Wanted to follow in my Father's foot steps and be a Fireman. I'm still seriously thinking about it as I feel like a bit of a hero and am not scared of risking my life for a pay check....no really though I loved going into the fire station with my dad when I was wee and I really would like to become someone that has an affect on people's lives.

I am currently working for Powergen, it's alright but I'm getting to the poiint where I don't want to plod anymore and I want to enjoy my work. Think I need to re-train.

I've also thought about primary teaching as I have all of a sudden become comfortable with children, I used to be quite nervous around them and get really stressed...haha....psychopath.

I'd also like to become a holywood star....never guna happen
  7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I think I wanted to be an astronaut when I was a little kiddie. In my 'formative' years, yes, I did wish to become a professional trumpet player. (Sigh...) Right now, I'm a membership recruiter and guide for the National Trust of Scotland at Brodick Castle and conductor of Arran's brass band.

Although there are many who would say I haven't actually grown up yet.... ;)
  8. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I did want to be a vet but I don't think I'd like slicing up animals and I'm rubbish at biology. And I wanted to write a book which will never happen becuase I get bored of things too fast. And right now I just don't want to ever grow up.
  9. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

When I was young I wanted to be a Doctor, then a chiropodist. Gave up on my 'ambition' to be a doctor when I realised I knew nothing and couldn't learn anything in science. :biggrin: As a teenager I switched between wanting to be a teacher and a police officer. My first job was as a bank clerk, that I drifted into through a YTS (Youth Training Scheme) for you 'young uns'. :eek:

It wasn't until I was in my 30s (after having my children) that I actually had a career in mind. I wanted to be a Social Worker so returned to college, but instead of going to Uni after college to continue with my training (funding etc!) I trained as an Education Welfare Officer, and am doing my Social Work degree through work (much cheaper :biggrin: ). Some say that my job now is a bit of both teacher and police :)eek: ) as my 'nickname' is 'the school bobby'! :biggrin: hah, if only my job was that simple. ;)
  10. gawber

gawber Active Member

When I was young I wanted to be an actress, and I have grown up into a drama queen, but I get paid for being a nurse.
    I wouldn't mind being a florist except that I am the worlds worst flower arranger.
  11. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I always wanted to work on a till in a supermarket (such high aspirations!) and I've always wanted to be a primary school teacher!

My first dream has been fulfilled i've been working at Sainsbury's for over a year part-time.... WHY?!!??! did i want to do that when i was little? It is mind numbingly boring.... so much so.... i get excited at the thought of coming off a till to go and do something exciting like emptying bins or putting left behinds back on the shelves :tongue:

and my second dream.... well hopefully I shall be starting a BEd (Honours) with Music at plymouth uni's exmouth campus (i'm a bit of a home bunny and quite frankly i couldn't cope in a city! i'm too little!) and then i will be a teacher! I've done millions and millions of work experience in various schools and loved every minute of it... and i still want to be a teacher! :D
  12. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

weeell, when i was about 3, i decided i wanted to be a children's nurse, and (about) 15 years on, i'm off to uni in a couple of months to do a children's nursing degree - woooo!! so i guess im one of those boring people who's known what the want to do all their life .. tehe
  13. paddo

paddo Member

Don't dispare guy's, some times when you work hard the thing you always wnated to be can some times come true.......

I either wanted to be a professional musician or a photographer, due to working in a glass factory for 16 years the pro musician never happened, really regret that but after 16 long years of quliafications and progressing through the ranks of photography I finally went full time 4 years ago, not an easy desision at the time but my god well worth it now.

And the real big plus side I have now been able to get back in to good qulity banding down at the shat band and very much enjoying it.

I was once told that if you had your second favourite choice as your job and kept your no 1 choice as a hobby you will never get fed-up, and at the moment I have totally got to agree.

Be patient

Happy photographer and BBb player!!
  14. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

When i was 5 i wanted to be a professional Musician and play on the Tv.

Now im a full time mummy and im going back to be a Sales Complaints Officer.

I wouldnt change being a mum for anything in the world but i'[d love to be a TV Presenter but im too shy :)
  15. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

When I was younger I went through various job ambitions, though the favourite was ballerina - didn't get very far with that cos I seemed to pout every time I couldn't do a backward roll in gymnastics class :( . At the start of secondary school I wanted to be an Educational Psychologist (where my 12 year old brain got that from I don't know), then later a peripatetic woodwind teacher.

Now I'm scared because I'm very nearly a proper grown up - having spent the last 3 years aiming to get a degree and not looking much further - because I haven't got a clue what I want to be! :eek: My little sis is already gloating as she's off to do a children's nursing degree in Sept so she's got a guaranteed job in the exact field she wants!
  16. sniperjp

sniperjp Member

Well, as I'm still a wee bandsman, I'll stick with my choices I;ve had since i was in year 1, i wanna be a Surgeon or Coroner
  17. Euphonomium

Euphonomium Member

When I was little I changed my mind about what I wanted to be quite often. I started off wanting to be a teacher, then decided I wanted to be a vet, then changed my mind back to wanting to be a teacher again. As I got older, I decided I wanted to be a peri teacher, and you would never catch me in a classroom for love nor money. Now, I'm studying for a degree in music with the hope of deciding on a final career at some point over the next 3 years before I finish. I'm undecided about what I want to do, but i'm being drawn to music therapy (working with disabled people) at the moment. Either that or youthwork of some description...