When You Grew Up to be a Man/Woman

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Hells Bones, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Hi guys.

Had my media player on random and a song came on that made me think.

"When I Grow Up (to be a Man)" By the Beach Boys.

How many people here can say that their ambitions as a teen is what they gone and done?
    Your thoughts?

HB

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    When I Grow Up
    HB
    Beach Boys
    ambitions
    song
  3. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I'll let you know as soon as I grow up Tone :wink:

4. omega56

omega56 Member

My ambitions as a teen were ; to play in a brass band,
    to play in a rock band,to keep all my hair

well two out of three aint bad

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I had no other ambition when I left school than to be what I am now - a successful and (mostly) happy music teacher in a secondary school, showing kids something of the sheer joy that music can bring.

If I die tomorrow, I know I've done what I set out to do.

One thing that keeps me going is knowing that I'm being paid loads of money to do what I want to do most in all the world. It's a great feeling.:clap:

6. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

According to my parents, when I was about 3, I announced very loudly that i wanted to grow up to be a lovely elephant.

That has not happened.

My ambitions changed slightly as I got older, I wanted to be a vet, a doctor, a lawyer, a film director, a jet fighter pilot, an international lacrosse player, an air hostess etc etc but I always came back to wanting to be a primary school teacher, which is what I do now and I love it... sometimes!

7. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Not according to the NUT!!!! ;)

8. My ambition when I was young was to go into primary teaching... that has now changed as I now can't stand children (Well, the minority that come into the shop I work in and drive me up the wall)! So, now I'm studying business at uni.

I still might do teaching after this degree... I'll see how I feel! :lol:

9. millie6589

millie6589 Member

My ambition was also to be a primary school teacher. but i also decided that i didn't like working with kids, so i now work at York University, which is just as bad, maybe even worse!

10. mikelyons

When I consider that my annual salary when I started all those years ago was less than my current monthly deductions, it is.

Besides, I'm in the NASUWT (for now, anyway);)

11. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

What? No post from JonP yet?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    When I Grow Up
    HB
    Beach Boys
    ambitions
    song
  13. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Hell's bells, I've just been looking at the pay scales on the NASUWT site - you can get nearly as much as you would if you played for...oh, oh, let's not go there :(

14. mikelyons

Thing is, enjoyiong what I do is worth far more than money - even when I whinge about the kids and their stupid and arrogant parents and what the SLT are doing etc etc. I'd never do anything else. That little frisson of delight when you see the light come on (at last!) is worth more than money. Not that I'm asking for a pay cut, you understand. :D

15. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I'm doing this ;)

16. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

or, after patiently explaining to the little treasures about note lengths, you hear the a little voice say to the long-suffering LSA sitting next to him: 'Wot the 'ells a crotchit'!?

LOL

I wouldn't like a pay cut either - but then as I am paying 4.8% on my student loan, and my pay increase was 2.45% .... you get the idea. Think that is an argument for another thread tho ;)

Anyway, on topic - I wanted to be a pilot for years and years and years. Now however, like Mike, I wouldn't change my job for anything else and mainly for the reasons he quoted above :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  17. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Like most I had a few ambitions, and also as most, they changed a bit as I grew older. The first and most obvious for a young lad in the fifties, I wanted to be a steam railway engine driver. That went when steam was retired, funnily enough I have been driving steam railway engines as a volunteer for the last twenty odd years on the Welshpool and Llanfair, a narrow gauge line in mid Wales.
    The next but most important, was started when I tried to make my clockwork train set run on electricity! A big bang and flash made me determined to find out why, so I eventually became an electrician as my means of earning a wage. As I have moved on in industry, I now work as chief factory engineer in a plastics moulding business.
    But playing brass, especially cornet was something in the background until I met with someone who later taught me the basics in the very late 1990s, eight years on at the age of 59 nearly 60, I am second cornet, and struggling at times to improve, but like everything else I try, I intend to be one of the best.

18. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It sounds rather sad now, but when I used to attend pantomimes as child - an annual visit with my fellow choristers - I used to dream of being called out of the audience to save the day on stage. It obviously wasn't to be - although my love of pantomimes certainly hasn't diminished, and Jonathan and I usually still manage to get along each year.

I have, however, portrayed William Booth on the stage at the Royal Albert Hall, played Ebenezer Scrooge in a Christmas presentation at the barn in Hadleigh and taken various roles in SA musicals and other events.

20. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

My ambition as a teenager was to become a professional trombone player. So far so good, then, but I find the precarious lifestyle of a freelancer tiring. I never dreamed I would play with the LSO and sit next to Maurice Murphy, but I have. If things don't work out and the jobs dry up, I'll always have that, and I feel very proud to have achieved that.

On the downside, being self-employed is hell. It's fun turning up to play with a different orchestra every week and not getting into the politics, but I still have to budget for the annual tax bill! Seriously considering a different line of work, as I won't be able to play the trombone forever.

21. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

I wanted to be a sound engineer. Get to do quite a bit of that for everyday work and the audio visual techie stuff is probably one of the more enjoyable aspects of my job. :biggrin:

22. six pints

six pints Active Member

Jobwise, I wanted to be a teacher, and work at my old school. I'm nearly finished my PGCE, and have a job at my old school starting in september :)

nonejobwise, well, you would have to pm me for that!