when was percussion introduced

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by michellegarbutt, Oct 8, 2008.

1. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I always thought percussion was a fairly recent introduction to brass bands. However i was reading through some of our old minute books and found reference as to who was going to take the xylophone to a concert in a local park. The date of the entry was June 20th 1933. So were Murton Band just ahead of their time or was percussion common place at this time :D

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    percussion
    introduction
    Murton Band
    some
    books
  3. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

It is and isn't recent, percussion was banned from the contest platform until 1975 (I think, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!) When Howarth's 'Fireworks' was used in the British Open, however primative percussion dates back right to the beginning of brass bands basic marching drums.

Personally, with the lack of original band compositions in 1933, I would have thought that a xylophone would be a luxury for bands then, with not many oppertunites for its use.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It was actually 1969 ... using Vinter's Spectrum at the Open. Although up to this point (see links below), percussion used in contests was seen as an oppportunity to hide mistakes. Vinter's vision, to add more percussion instruments to enhance colour & effect, led to performances of his works feeling empty without them on the contest stage. Championship bands were required to use percussion in 1973, youth bands following in 1974. It was 1975 when ALL bands were obliged to contest with percussion.

for above, Roy Newsome transcripts here

As for non contesting see this article here by Arthur Butterworth.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  5. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

And we have been covering up the mistakes ever since. Nothing I like better than asking the cornets if they want me to play those "fiendishly difficult" parts on xylo :)

6. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Your a funny guy Mark! if only you could play in time you would have everything.

7. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

Is this thread suggesting that percussion might actually be 'part' of the band??!!! Are we loved after all? Awww, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside!!

Funny though, cos I thought we were just a dumping ground for spare bass players and oldies?!! :tongue: