When to play National Anthems

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Jun 14, 2011.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

TBDBITL Active Band are coming to the UK for the Durham Miner's Gala.

If A visiting band were coming to the US and wanted to play the National Anthem it would be standard to open the concert with the USA National Anthem, Followed by visiting band's national anthem.

What is the protocol in England?

Open with God Save the Queen and then Star Spangled Banner?

Thanks

2. SteveT

SteveT Member

It depends on venue. For example is there is drink being consumed during the concert, Anthems aren't normally played.

The miners gala is unlikely to require anthems, but best check with them first.

3. DublinBass

It's not for the Gala, but for our concert in Bowburn the evening before.

4. Backrowmike

Backrowmike Member

The Hymn tune "Gresford" is the miner's anthem.

5. DublinBass

We've got that one ready. Bowburn March has Gresford in it as well.

6. Backrowmike

Backrowmike Member

Enjoy the Gala it is a very special event.

7. fsteers

fsteers Member

No, it isn't:

8. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Probably best to check with the concert organisers as to whether they have a preference, or set form to follow.

I've found audiences are sometimes puzzled by hearing the anthem first, particularly if they're not used to hearing it at all! It's a good way to close down a concert (before 24-hour broadcasts, it's how radio and television stations used to sign off, after all) - especially if you've been very well received and have run out of encore items/lip...

9. DublinBass

Thanks for those. I was just going by my experiences at Baseball and Hockey games.

@cockaigne - thanks for the tips. We have indeed decided to contact the concert organisers.

10. fsteers

fsteers Member

Can't speak for the NHL (not a hockey fan), but as a long-time Blue Jays, and prior to that, Expos, fan, I can say that in 30 years of attending Major League Baseball games in Toronto, Montreal, Boston, NY, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and Washington DC, the anthem of the visiting team's country has ALWAYS been played first.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Durham Miner's Gala
    Star Spangled Banner
    US
    God Save the Queen
    National Anthem
  12. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

well going from many years experience in playing concerts around the Durham Mining areas, I can count on one hand the amount of times we have played the National Anthem. The only time we usually play it, is when we are playing at sporting events. For ordinary concerts we never play it, unless the organisers specifically request us to do so.

13. fsteers

fsteers Member

I don't know what the common practice is in the UK, but it's a fairly common practice in some areas of the US and Canada to open a concert with the national anthem, especially concerts that coincide with or take place during the week immediately preceding national holidays such as Independence Day (US)/Canada Day, Memorial (Remembrance) Day, Veteran's Day, Flag Day, Presidents' Day, 9/11, etc.

Since the OP mentions a visiting band from the US, his/her experience at baseball and hockey games, and asks what anthem protocol is in the UK, I presume he/she at least resides in, and is likely a citizen of, the US.

14. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

And Michelle gave the most relevant answer yet seen in this thread...