When singing hymns/carols....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by stephen2001, Dec 26, 2004.

What do you sing?

1. The tune

2. How my part goes

3. I'm a solo cornet player so both!!

1. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

...do you sing the melody or how your part in the Salvation Army books goes?
    I've noticed that if I'm singing along to something I know, I won't sing the melody, I'll sing however the Trombone/Euph part goes :p
  2. groovy

groovy Active Member

I never sing hymns/carols as I'm always playing them!
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

The tune... If I tryed to sing the drum kit lines it wouldnt go down too well I don't think :p
    (ok, so there arent any kit parts in the Savy army books... but hey!) ;)
  4. HBB

HBB Active Member

I feel sorry for the male sopranos...
  5. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

or a weirdo range person like me.

descant one minute, tenor the next!

i cant sing bass thou, unless its above a middle bass clef D

kel x
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Well I basically can't sing so I try to stick with the main melody line. Although I suppose that's pretty inconclusive as I normally play solo cornet when we're carolling and the flugel part in the SA books in such a mixture, so someone of my non-existant singing ability just couldn't cope with trying to sing that part.
  7. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

There is certainly a percussion part. They even provide a separate timpani part, though I have never seen any bands playing carols in a town centre, or on a street corner, or in a supermarket or shopping centre playing carols with a set of timps!
  8. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Back on topic...

Many years of conditioning in the SA mean that I tend to put in the bass line.
  9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yes, I'm aware of this.
    We used these Savy Army books in my first band!... ;-) naff snare drum lines... I never bothered playing them.... :p just set up slowly before rehearsal started... (or grabbed a cornet or bass or something).... :-D

The day I see a set of timps with a brass team playing carols is the day I approach the timpanist to ask this one worded, simple question.....

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Going off the topic slighty but on the same lines:
    when i have got a test piece to play mainly the area, i put on a recording of it and sing my part to it whilst having part infront of me, this does help a lot mainly when you have got bars rest.:)
  11. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

well me bein principal cornet (there's only one other player in the front row), i'm usually playin and don't hav many bars rest....however when i get to rest/get too tired.... i luv to sing the harmony parts
  12. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Usually sing the tenor part, as bass part is generally a little low for me. But I don't sing too often, as I'm usually either in front of or in the band (I've had to break myself of singing while conducting, having been advised by several in my group that it confuses them!)
  13. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I'm on solo cornet now, but I always sing the backrow cornet part!! It's because I was brought up with it I suppose! :D
  14. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I voted "Sing my part", but I lied. But then I rarely play the exact part as writ anyway. I usually just make something up in congregational carols and sing the written part (Tenor, Baritone or Bass) when singing with a choir where people could tell or where people are relying on me. (It's a long story and I wouldn't want to cause embarassment ;) )

Just a bit of boasting, I can sing the Eb bass part at pitch as long as it keeps above concert Bb (below the bass clef staff). When I get a head cold I can usually make a concert G below that. At the top end I can get a screetchy G above the bass staff, but I need tight pants and a degree of luck. If I go falsetto, well, it's anybody's guess, :shock: but I'm out of practice, anyway - there's not much call for castrato sound these days!:shock: :shock: :oops:
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  15. Pookiyama

Pookiyama Member

Mmmm... I'm a percussionist so I usually don't have much to play during carols/hymns - maybe a bit of cymbals here and there... if I ever hear Jingle Bells again I'll disappear from the earth!

So, yes. I usually sing the words to the whole tune, particularly the original words... for example, Silent Night in German - deliciously beautiful!
  16. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

When it comes to carol singing, I usually sing either the alto or tenor part for sheer entertainment value because the tune gets a tad repetitive.....

Hymns - depends. I love singing (love here doesn't tally with ability by the way) and I sing from the music edition hymn book in church. So, depending on mood and hymn I'll either belt out the tune (badly but with gusto!) or concentrate on the alto or tenor part and embarrass those stood round me (badly again, but with enthusiasm!).
  17. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Since my vocal range tends to mimic the range of the 2nd baritone/ EEb bass part that I normally play (only a bit smaller)...I typically just sing my part.
  18. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I dont sing!