When is a solo a solo

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Goodnight Irene, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Goodnight Irene

Goodnight Irene New Member

This may sound a stupid question but what in your opinion constitutes a solo?
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hehe, that's like asking how long is a piece of string :)

I guess it depends on if the piece is actually a solo piece with band accompaniment, or if it is a solo per sé within a section of a larger piece. Both are technically 'solos' I guess...
  3. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

So if you have a bit that says "one only" on a solo cornet part, would that constitute a solo, or does the composer just want less sound from the front row?
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

If it says 'only one' rather than 'solo' - then on the face of it personally, I'd interpret that as less sound. Then again - it depends on the music yeah?
  5. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

Can't argue with that!
  6. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

When it's not a duet?
  7. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

When you have to stand up to play it?
  8. oddbod

oddbod Member

When, having stood up to play it, you don't get 16 or more very slow bars rest in the middle, then making one knee go with the off beat to try and look cool, as if you are actually enjoying the (yawn) tutti....

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

In my opinion, the idea of a solo is that it is a bit or whole piece of music for one (or more) person(s) to play with or without accompaniment.

List of types of solos

Whole pieces

One instrument only, no accompaniment. Might have been described as sonata (if grand enough) in the old days
    One instrument with keyboard (or guitar) accompaniment (Also sonata)
    One instrument with orchestral or band accompaniment (sometimes described as concerto)
    A piece for a particular rank of instruments. This kind of piece is often described as a 'feature' but might be considered equivalent to a 'concerto grosso'

Parts of pieces

A short section of a piece, specifically marked 'solo'.
    The part of a traditional march where the 'bottom end' get a tune - often referred to as the bass solo.

Any others I've missed?
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Solos within pieces may not be actually marked as "solo", but it will normally be apparent that a particular instrument is being featured.

An interesting variation on the idea of solo within pieces can be found in some of the works of Schoenberg and some of his followers, where the score and parts may well highlight which is the main (or subsidiary) theme. This can add to the clarity of a performance, particularly if the music is atonal, when the "theme" might not be immediately identifiable. In the hands of someone like Webern, with his concept of "Klangfarbenmelodie", each instrument may only carry a couple of notes in the formation of the melody.
  11. onebandman

onebandman New Member

I don't think it's a stupid question. It's something I've wondered about for a while.
    We were talking about this at band the other night when playing the second movement of 'Carnival'. There is a bit in the second cornet part that is only two bars long and nothing particularly fancy or exposed, and third cornets and some others play as well. But those two bars are marked 'Solo'.
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'd have though in that instance, where there would normally be two on the part, it means that only one should play.
  13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

In the orchestral world (which carnival really comes from) solo on a part means something slightly different than in a BB context, so I'd agree with Peter on this one.
  14. sale

sale Member

When it says solo at the top of the page and you play the melody on your own without trying to make mistakes!!!!!!
  15. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Prelude and Jubilate, bar before 'A', playing Flugel...

Not marked 'solo', but everything else suddenly goes quiet :eek:
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  16. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Downland Suite by John Ireland solo: About half the piece involving the lines that are in the faintest way unique yet still accompanied by half the band. ;-)
  17. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

That's that "Oh my god, I can't hear anyone else" moment isn't it. I remember that happening to me at a concert when the trombone player who had the same part was off ill. :eek:
  18. sale

sale Member

Same thing!
  19. MaxPressure

MaxPressure Member

:oops: how about that bit in resurgam..... when you go very red in the face cuz you didnt count right :biggrin:
  20. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

There is a similar solo in Journey Into Freedom ;-)