When is a Brass Instrument not a Brass Instrument 2

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Cornet Nev., Sep 24, 2011.

1. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Wow that is pretty impressive! Although he's got the final bell flare wrong, but anyway I'd like to hear a proper player have a go on this to see how it sounds in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.

As for me... well, sadly my skills are strictly metal based (although I very much doubt I have the skills to build anything that makes any sort of decent noise, even in metal) so I won't be building the genuine wooden flugel, so until someone does you'll have to put up with WoodenFlugel the player instead of wooden flugel the instrument. Sorry and all that.... :D

PS: the wooden spring manufacture looks like a health and safety nightmare!

3. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Not the same trumpet, but a different one being played. "Amazing Grace" at that, the sound is pretty dire, but to be expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiVNaT6hG1M&feature=related

Wood can sound good, as I commented on this vid, the Swiss have alpine horns off to a fine art. While there I visited a factory where they make them, and of course they have a demonstration horn for you to have a go on, quite a nice tone from it too, but no valves so only a certain range of notes.

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Someone made a glass trombone once as well. Pretty sure there's a vid of that on youtube. And of course, there's the recently released and frequently sold-out pbone, a trombone made from the same epoxy that they use for motorcycle crash helmets.

Plus Courtois have been making Tubas out of cotton wool for years.....

5. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Andi - I do wish TMP had a "like post" button! The wooden trumpet looks hilarious to play - but my cat wasn't impressed at the music (woke her up when she was asleep next to the laptop). In all seriousness though it's a mad amount of craftsmanship and skill for something that in reality won't have much use.......

6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I thank you.... ;)

7. Dackdack

Dackdack New Member

I have one of those afore mentioned p-bones...and they are suprisingly good, great sound, but they obviously don't have the same "ring" as a brass instrument.

8. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

So that's why they have 7 water keys ;)

9. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

A Lot of those appeared at Delph last whitsun

10. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Some of those may have been quite late in the day, attached to certain members of the University of York Brass Band's trombone section! (i.e.. All of them! *Ahem!*) :-D

Darryl
    (And yes, I do have one as well!) :-D

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Flugel
    wooden trumpet
    Brass Instrument
    genuine wooden Flugel
    url
  12. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

A surprising number of what should be brass instruments made from other materials can be found with a search of Youtube as I have found, the glass trombone mentioned is there too.
    Reminds me of the guy who made a bell from cow muck. When struck it went dung.