What's your worst blob?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, May 9, 2005.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

What's been people's most obvious, or worst timed, or most embarrasing mistake while playing in a concert or contest?

Mine was in a concert a few weeks ago depping for a band playing a James Bond medley, where I missed a repeat of a quiet slow tune and launched straight into the driving bass line of a loud fast number. Don't think they'll be asking me back.

2. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I had a very embarassing moment at a wedding last summer.Halfway through a very exposed flugel bit in some lovely piece my trigger decided to break, the slide then proceeded to fall further and further out having a hideous effect. Took me a while to wonder what was going wrong, thought I was playing the wrong piece of something!

3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Not particularly embarassing, but the one that always haunts me is a split top G at the end of the euph duet in Revelation during the 1995 Open - relief at being so close to the end of it caused me to stop thinking, and I missed it clattering through an E on the way up....it doesn't help that copies of it were circulated to the Band so it still finds it's way onto the tape deck every now and again. Still makes me cringe in the build up....

4. andyp

andyp Active Member

I missed out a crotchet rest at the end of a "TV cartoon"-type piece while guesting a few years ago, thus smacking a ff top C right in the middle of the silence, which rang around the church for several seconds. There's never a trapdoor under you when you need it................!

Funniest one I've ever seen while playing was Whit Friday about 10 years ago, forget where we were, but it has a stone stage that you play on. Playing "Viva Burkenshaw", our bass trom decides (why, he and we have no idea!) to repeat the bass solo 3 times instead of two, thus wapping out 4 fantastic pickup quavers............right over the quiet trio.
    All I heard was "WAP WAP WAP WAAP..........Oh, ******"
    He got a huge cheer from the audience when he left the stage, though!

5. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

I played in a concert once where we played one of the Dvorak Slavonic Dances....can't remember which one but it's 3/4 conducted 1 in bar. The euphs should have had 3 bars rest then come in with the melody, but our solo euph decided to come in after 4 instead. Not only that but 6 bars later (yes 6!!!) when he realised his mistake and having done much elbow flapping and eyebrow wiggling at his partner, he stopped playing and held his hand in the air shouting "sorry"!!!

Oh god, the pain suffered from us on the front row trying not to laugh!

:clap:

6. ari01

ari01 Active Member

Always use a pencil

Back in the mid 90's I played Solo Baritone with Rothwell Wallace Arnold and due to another engagement I had to miss a concert and a dep was brought in.

Afterwards I found out that during the bands performance of "A Disney Fantasy" the unfortunate dep, due to my lack of scribbles, had not realised a silent bar was missing and blazed out "Zip a dee doo da" in said silent bar all on his very own.

Apparently it took the band several minutes to regain it's composure!!!!

Whoever you were I sincerely apologise

Remember: always use a pencil

7. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Worst Blob...

Yates's Blackpool!!

8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Last night at our Club Concert - two "FF" quavers a bar early in a quiet bit of "Mr Lears Carnival"
    It's such a weird piece that the audience and most of the band thought it was one of the effects !!
    My mate laughed for the whole of the rest of the spot, positively wetting himself.
    Then he went around the bar at break time making sure everyone knew about it, laughing all the time so much that he was gasping for breath.
    I mean, I was very embarrassed and ashamed !!
    Do you have heartless insensitive "Mates" like this ?

9. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Not that anyone noticed Daniel, apart from the assorted bandspeople sat in the 2 front rows who all cringed in unison..... :biggrin:

10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Blobs - where to start? - most recent was whilst depping for GC above at a joint concert with Barnsley Building Society and Worsborough Brass. We had a joint band item playing the "training band music" of Muppets. All nice and easy until the last bar when the whole band paused and I blobbed in the last note FF. Couldn't really look left and blame the training bands EEb as they'd got a dep in from Stocksbridge (Don Jones).:oops:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    blob
    example
    drummer
    solo
    looks
  12. Soppy

Soppy Member

Hell, where do I start?

My worst was probably last September in a film music concert. We were playing 'Titanic', and just after the opening bars there's a Sop solo (Never an ending absolution or something wierd like that- it's the bit played by the flute in the real music). Being a solo, it's 100% totally exposed. Halfway through, it goes up to a minim top A. I got it, although flat, but then suddenly I jsut lost the tension in my lips and it came down to some horrible E kind of note! Absolutely terrible, because I then clammed up and the rest of the solo went all quite and thin. Yuk! I was then getting top B's though later in the piece.

13. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Ooer... there are many!

Worst one was last weekend there, I helped out Standish and Coppull when I was in Manchester for the weekend, ended up playing a sop and mouthpiece I had never played before, sightreading an entire programme... not one of my best playing moments (probably my worst actually...) but the corker of the day was counting Hetty Wainthrope Investigates in 4 instead of 2... oops!!! Sorry Naomi! :oops:

14. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

In my 30 odd years of banding there are loads, but the two greatest are:

Playing with Eagley, doing Bass In The Ballroom. I always wandered around the hall in those days, leaving the music on the stand. It was usual for me to be at the back of the hall, wherever it was for the cadenza.

On this particular occasion, I forgot the cue for the band to come in so I spent then next half-century making up additions to my usual over-long cadenza, all the while watching Ernie Appleyard's face get stonier and stonier. Finally, in humiliation, I made my way (still busking) back to the stand and started the band in properly. I have to say that, although Ernie muttered "I'll never trust you again" as I passed, he did relent. I think I learned my lesson about the fragility of memory.

The latest one was a lovely rendition of Dambusters, which I started on Eb, but the other basses started on the right note (E) Realising what I had done, after two bars I slid up, in perfect imitation of a Lancaster bomber passing overhead ;)

I just remembered a similar sort of thing happening to me when I was given the wrong hymn book in a concert. I played a full hymn from the BBb bass book and was all for blaming my colleagues until I realised Gaskell had pulled a fast one :grrr

15. persins

persins Member

Blobs, What are these things? Wouldn't know anything about them!!

I must admit that I have put in a couple of impromptu solo's! Normally as a dep! How many times have there been pieces where the final 3 or so notes are individually directed accross the whole band only for me to ruin the affect by blasting in a proper good'un in the rest!
    I tend to have a couple of issues with the old #'s but no specific shockers come to mind.

16. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

A Blob is a mixture of;

Yates’ Australian White Wine (which is a mixture of wine, brandy and spices)
    sugar
    boiling hot water
    and a slice of lemon.

:D

17. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Go to a practise anywhere and at any time and you'll 9 times out of 10 find me playing in the wrong key!

Can't really think of anything major on a concert or contest stand though, although at Harrogate last year I came in at about FF when the horns and cornets (the only ones playing) were at P, got a dodgy look from the conductor.

Also something i've done a couple of times is play a wrong note on the final chord, normally FFF, and although i've had the conductor staring at me it still took about 10 seconds to realise, I normally do this at the end of Abba goes Brass

18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well Area Contest 2004 Coventry Variations Midland area(BURTON TOWN HALL).
    The band were playing so well and it was all going to plan UNTIL:
    Last Variation i came in a Quaver Beat to soon bar 287, this caused the band to go into a mini panick, by that time all the good work was lost
    I almost threw my Baritone to the back of the stage, the look from the conductor said it all:mad:
    I just disapeard the rest of the day just hoping that my ****,** would not cost us a place for the national finals , it did not matter as we were not in the first 3 when the results were given
    But i will never forget that one.
    The Burton Town Hall always seems to make me/our section make a mistake,we did a concert last year& my mate and i did not count our time on the one piece but it was in a loud passage so we pretended to play until we found where we was, no one else knows about that unless they see it on here;)
    But ever since we have stuck to our guns and have never dropped a ******* since.

19. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Playing the Trombone solo arrangment Don't Cry For Me Argentina, the 1st baritone starts off with the introduction on its own. The problem was, I forgot the key signature & played an A instead of Ab!
    That's the biggest cock-up I can remember making in a concert!

20. worst blob - in a concert blowing the water out in a silence, very embarrassing and seriously loud!! since then iv learned my lesson and i never blow down my euph when getting th water out!

21. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

My worst ever blob - going in to bat at number 11 in a tour game, with two needed to win, plenty of overs left, and getting caught inches inside the boundary first ball...

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    blob
    example
    drummer
    solo
    looks