What's your wettest ever band job?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

On Saturday Dronfield pllayed at Eyam in the Peak District. It started off wet, and got wetter as the march(a long one progressed) went on, plus we played for 20 minutes before with nobody listening to us. By the end I had litres of water down my bell, was soaking wet and couldn't see a thing through my glasses. Was quite impressive that they still had 2 brass bands, a pipe band and loads of floats in the carnival full of people,m despite the appalling weather. What's the worst weather people have had on a band job?
  2. bandcampgal

bandcampgal Member

a couple of years ago i had 3 marchs on one day, 2 with my band, 1 with Golbourne band squeezed inbetween.

in the 1st march the band decided as it wuz only a short walk, it probably wouldnt rain in that time so no need for waterproof jackets so guess what?! it wuz so bad that i was turning my instrument over every 20seconds 2 empty water, i had the taste of hairspray and make-up in my mouth and i could hardly see the music never mind play it!

Golbourne were more sensible; we had macs on. and surprise surprise the weather cleared up so as i dried out steam wuz rising off me! finally dried off in the very long sunny march that afternoon! british weather eh?!

did a march couple o months ago where ther wuz a church service in the middle. the band wer huddled outside under trees for over an hour trying, and failing to keep dry!
  3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

A massed band at the Anglesey Show ( Beaumaris , Menai Bridge) in 1988/89...I think it was the most rain in one day the band were there from 11.00 -5.00 playing a few stints during the day , I remember spending most of the day chowing down Pig Butties and hot tea , with a few bars of Bandology and Mood Indigo , I remember we had a few rehersals in Bangor at the Conference Room at the place I work at now , at the time Menai Bridge Bandroom was going through a refurbishment and the Old Beaumaris Bandroom was smaller than a matchbox , was a real good laugh ,we are lucky our new sponsers provide us with Waterproof jackets for outside jobs.
  4. Pastit

Pastit Member

Who are your new sponsors??
  5. I think i would have to agree with you there Daniel (as I played with the "other band")!

Not only was it a really long march, but the rain worsened with every step!
    My "waterproof" jacket became saturated and began to leak through, the rain dripped off the hood and into my eyes, and the water dripped down my sleeves, leaving a lovely puddle of water at the elbows. :(

Also, the wind made the job fun. While marching under some trees a gust dislodged some sticks, which hit me in the face, along with a number of wet leaves which i had to peel off my face. :(

When marching and not playing my mouthpiece gathered water, so every time a went to play i got a mouth full of water. :(

Can't wait until next year!! :clap:
  6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

When drawn late at the Yorkshire Area - it's hot on the St Georges stage after upmteen bands!
  7. postie

postie Member

You would think a day in July you would think the weather would be guaranteed WRONG. Bestwood played in 2004 at the Dukeries Garden Centre in NEMBBA entertainment contest. The band was playing at Newark Castle later in the day. So we played number 1 beautiful sunshine. Come band 3 poaring down with rain, it was one of those glorious summer days sun, one minute rain the next. I had to stay behind to get the band's result. It got the point where the adjudictaor had to stop the concert for a while. What a day can't remember anything to match that.
  8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Cowdenbeath gala 2005. Marching down the high street with a tuba strapped to you and a lightning storm overhead - lovely.

We did the DDDC concert in Eyam on Sunday and had about as much luck as you did on Saturday by the sounds of it! Started the first piece in bright sunlight, at the end of the second piece we were drenched, music was all floppy and we made a hurried dash for the bus shelter. After watching it for 5 mins and deciding there was no way it was going to let up we gave up and went home!
  10. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Stannington played at the under water hockey championships at Ponds Forge in August!

No the band didn't play under water:rolleyes: however they did want the band to MARCH over the top of the covered pool while playing. That could have been interesting:eek:

From what i hear it was so hot and humid in the pool area, that they might have been drier playing in the pool. (I missed this job as i was on holiday...so much for the 'C' word i hear you say:biggrin: )
  11. alks

alks Member

A few weeks ago we got completely soaked playing marches while being pulled by a tractor through the villiage, stsrted off sunny then it poured down with thunder and lightning etc, but the band played on and on and on....... yes 30 minutes of getting completely drenched , all th music went floppy and broke apart and had to be thrown away. Everyone was complety soacked through ....then we had to do an hour concert almost straight away in the field for the agricultural day. Most had no change of clothes so had to do the concert wet. Oh well its all fun.....

12. andyp

andyp Active Member

Tricky to think which is the wettest, there's been a few!

but probably - Bamfurlong (near Ashton) walking day a few years ago, had to knock second march off early and run for cover as heavens opened, soaked through in 30 secs flat and that was the end, thankfully. Just about the heaviest rain I've ever been in.
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not wet weather as such, but the "worst" weather on a band job in my experience was a "Karneval" parade in Germany, somewhere not far from Cologne. Not sure exactly when, but sometime early '80's. It was definitely February, though, and, as we formed up to play, wearing only a normal band uniform (except for those annoyingly prepared souls who'd brought thermal underwear), in bright sunshine, under a cloudless sky at around 1:00pm, the thermometer stood at minus 14 centigrade. Three hours later as the parade ended, it had dropped to around minus 18. The band was still playing, although I have no idea how. Trombone slides and valves on anything bigger than a cornet were all frozen solid; cornets could be kept operational only by ensuring that one blew air through continuously when not playing (and be careful not to allow the mouthpiece to be exposed to the atmosphere for more than a few seconds, otherwise there goes another layer of embouchure ...); It must have sounded interesting. Fortunately, a fair proportion of the band had consumed considerable quantities of the local "general anaesthetic" en route, courtesy of the many cafe/bar owners who took pity, and most of us were feeling no pain ...

Ah, happy days ...
  14. Ste69

Ste69 Member

About 3 weeks ago - I helped out Driffield Silver Band in York. It was fine for the first 90 minutes then good old Northern weather caught up with us and I ended up emptying my bass out (not through the water keys) but just straight out of the end to the tune of about half a pint of rainwater collected during 16 bars of music :)
  15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Going back to about 1977 the band i played with we went to a park in Wolverhampton (West Park) left home it was cats and dogs stuff coming down BIG TIME well got there rest of band were there as well it was still coming down this time more like TIGERS AND LION STYLE by now we never even got instruments out and did not play at all .
    But i hav edone some really very cold out door jobs in the past at Alton Towers in the Old Gardens where the bandstand was you just hoped you never got the first 2 and the last 2 on the list there as it was Mega Cold and you just wanted to go back to the car and back home.
  16. Di

Di Active Member

We did a "County show" a couple of years ago and although it didn't rain on the day, it had rained for most the previous week. As we trekked from the car park to the arena, we had to slide our way through deep muddy trenches where all the traffic had driven up and down. By mid day, the only thing DRIVING on the fields were tractors - pulling all the other vehicles off! We were literally up to our knees in mud.
  17. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Back in the 1980's our local council in Bolton organised an attempt at the world record for the largest marching band. Bands from all over the place were invited to participate. We played a couple of pieces in one of the stands at Burnden Park (ex home of the mighty Bolton Wanderers) led by Harry Mortimer and then followed a march around Bolton. It poured it down all the way through the march, everyone of us was soaked. We never managed to get the world record, but i think we managed the largest, wettest marching band in Europe. Did anyone else on tmp participate?
  18. 1st Position

1st Position Member

And after that, the conductor wanted us to set up again for the last ten minutes! Not a chance, I was still draining my mutes!

The wettest I have ever played was in the South of France, a place called La Grande Motte, when I gave a rendition of The Joker, starting off in (that's right IN) the hotel swimming pool! Complete with music stand.:) After the introduction I climbed out and continued poolside, dripping over the audience.
  19. agentorange

agentorange Member

A couple of years ago we played at Ferrrybridge for the bridge bicentenary celebrations. It started spitting just before we started. Halfway through the opening march it started coming down harder so we got faster, it rained harder so we got faster still, you get the idea.
    We were already off our chairs as the last note was being played and spent the rest of the the afternoon in the Golden Lion enjoying the free Tetleys. Best band job ever!

Usually worse on Band social events though. Thirsk races last saturday for one. There was a band there (sorry i haven't a clue who, too busy keeping dry in the bar!). Alton Towers, Sep 2005 was another. Think we should stick to playing!
  20. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

We (Lydmet Lydney Band) did "Newent Onion Fayre" last year (how the mighty have fallen?). We started to set up outside the church - but it soon got clear it was too wet to play so moved inside.
    After doing our first 45min set, we asked the Punch and Judy man "how long before we have to play again?". He seemed in no hurry to start and said to look outside.
    There were people now wading up the street, fire engines pumping out and the police evacuating the area! Some old biddy who had lived there for 85 years said it had NEVER flooded like that before.
    Hmm! We're there again this Saturday (09/09/06) if you fancy a blow and a soaking?
    http://www.newentonionfayre.co.uk/Onion fayre 2005.htm (some wet piccies).

Oh - and there was also Aylburton Carnival - couldn't keep mouthpiece on face or see because it chucked it down on the march.