What's your notice period?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

What period of time do you think is an acceptable amount of time before a contest to leave a band? Personally I would have big problems leaving a band between Christmas and the areas, and for smaller contests I would be uncomfortable if I didn't give at least a month's notice. I know other people feel differently. Is there a relationship between what section you are in and how long before a contest you tell your band your leaving. In other words, are people who want to play in higher sections more likely to drop their old band in it.
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

If only the three who've left us since Christmas thought the same...........................
  3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

It depends on your situation. I'm in the position where I'm moving up to Yorkshire and didn't know it would happen until the last couple of weeks. It means me being unable to do the areas for Woodfalls but this doesn't make it "unacceptable" but a necessity.

If someone decides to leave just before the areas cos they want to play for another band then that is another thing, but as with most things in life there are many factors to take into account.
  4. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I totally agree, I left my old band in early January to join my current band last year. I felt bad about leaving that close to the area, but it was a matter of necessity. I was starting to hate banding, I didn't get on with the MD, but I got a chance to play with Stannington, and loved it... and still do. :)
    If 'd stayed at my old band, I would have quit playing. Still feel bad about it, but sometimes you have to look after yourself.
  5. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Yep, people might be itching to leave and lots of opportunities arise to switch bands at this time of year.
  6. ray_ed

ray_ed Member

:-( yeh its a bad time all round - areas coming up and all that - but hey do what you gotta -

I'm half way in deciding to leave my band which I've been a member of for yrs....
    purely on personal/domestic reasons - no other band involved ( just a girl !!! )

good luck neway
  7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Bit difficult to generalise this one...but I should imaging the level of the band would have a bearing on how much notice you would reasonably need to give...

4th section bands would require quite some time to not only find a replacement but then get them up to speed on the test piece (purely because of the short supply and quality of players available and willing to play at that level) whereas Championship section bands (generally) wouldn't really struggle (i imagine) to find someone good enough to step in and be able to play the piece virtually straight away. But then again I should expect that it's much easier for the top championship section bands to be able to do this compared with the lesser known championship section bands.

Reasonable length of time? How long's a piece of string??
  8. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Maybe they wern't happy Dyl , never mind whats the point of a bad apple in the barrel? am sure you will be able to attract some players with Gav conducting you guys..good luck
  9. dyl

dyl Active Member

True - atmosphere in rehearsals so far this year has been superb! All seats have been filled and we are glad that Gav is taking us - we had no hesitation in asking him to fill in - he was our first and only choice to take to us to Swansea - and we are looking forward to our (long) trip down south!
  10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I don't think there is a hrad fast rule for fairnes, but if I were to try to make one it would be related to time before registration must be completed as opposed to time before a contest. For example, for areas the deadline is four weeks before the contest, but for smaller contests, you can often set up a day transfer as close to a week or two before the contest.
  11. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Presumably if the 4 week rule applies this weekend is going to be the deadline for most bands to sort out their movers etc before the areas.

Does it calm down then?
  12. Exiled_Janner

Exiled_Janner Member

Bottom line is (with exceptions) if you are enjoying your banding you will probably stay put. If circumstances become difficult you might try and influence things. If that has no effect ... move on. Banding is (for most) a (non-paid) hobby and personal satisfaction and enjoyment must be one of the top priorities?

Sorry - I didn't answer the question - I think you just need to ensure that the band has enough reasonable time to sort out a replacement if at all possible.
  13. postie

postie Member

I think at this time of year all you hear about is this player going to that band and so forth. But with the four weeks registration period it should calm down quite soon. Well at least till the areas have finished!!!
  14. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

I think it depends entirely on your reasons for wanting to leave. It's never an ideal time. There's always some contest or concert in the pipe-line! Personally, if I'd been treated badly in someway, I'd go immediately. No question!! But if its a case of wanting to change bands or have a break from banding, after a 'major' comp like the regionals would be best
  15. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Something you not telling us Dan?? ;)

There's never a good time to leave a band, but some times are worse than others...

At the end of a day, it is a hobby and if you're not enjoying why stick around??