What's your favourite recipe?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ginge, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Ginge

Ginge Member

I've been looking for things to cook for a quick and easy evening meal and thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to collate everybody's favourite recipes.

Please add your recipes with ingredients and instructions below.

Thanks! :D
  2. Ginge

Ginge Member

I'll start with one of my favourites

Serves up to 4 people

2lb Chicken winglets
    1 large onion
    soy sauce
    cooking oil
    noodles (1 nest per portion)

Preheat oven to 180c/gas mark 5
    Split the chicken wings in half
    peel and slice onion
    mix the chicken and onion in an oven proof dish
    pour oil over the chicken until lightly coated
    add the soy sauce liberally to coat the chicken and onion
    cook for approx 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked, turning throughout so that chicken remains coated in sauce.
    Serve on a bed of noodles.

If you want to add something extra to this dish, consider stir frying some vegetables of your choice.

Love it!
  3. on_castors

on_castors Member

I would get on a lot better with it if it had something more Chinese-ey about it other than Soy sauce... which tends to make everything taste very "same-y" try adding finely sliced fresh Ginger and a clove or two of crushed or finely sliced garlic to it. A splash of Chinese rice wine/dry sherry will go even further to lifting it a notch or two! Maybe a star anise or two would go well, particularly if marinating the meat first.

My personal preference for chicken would be strips of thigh meat, I can't BEAR bones and chicken skin, and breast meat is nice, but can be dry without careful handling, which can make it more of a chore! (par-boil/marinate in egg white & corn flour as some Chinese do)

A favourite of mine, although not somethign I can eat now as I have to have a LOW GLYCAEMIC LOAD diet to control my Insulin intolerance! :eek:

This is an ultra quick Italian spaghetti dish maybe as a starter?......

Olive oil or olive oil & half butter in a saucepan, on a low heat; crumble a few dried chillies to taste, add a couple of cloves of crushed garlic and warm gently to lightly cook the garlic (not brown it) add chopped fresh parsley, little salt, some fresh ground black pepper then add the freshly cooked spaghetti, toss and stir, and serve with fresh grated parmesan.
    Cheap and easy.

Takes minutes, but reeks & annoys your friends and family no end, unless they eat it too! ;-)
  4. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Mince 'n' tatties - ye cannae beat it!

Dry fry 1lb lean mince with one chopped onion.
    Add stock made of 1 chicken, 1 beef and 1 veg stock cubes (no salt needed now as cubes can be very high in salt) and enough water to cover the mince.

Simmer for about twenty minutes then thicken the gravy with cornflower - or gravy granules for the uncouth....

Mashed tatties: Use which ever tatties you like best and add a wee cupful of warm milk and a generous dollop (HUGE) of butter when mashing and they'll be lovely and fluffy! :D

Carrots an' neeps: Chop and boil same amount of carrots and turnip (swede to any sassenachs) and then mash together.

Some folks like brown sauce with their mince but I think that's sacrilage, or however you spell it... :eek:

If anything's left over you can always use it to make stovies the next day - but that's another recipe... ;)

5. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Anything Essex Elvis cooks ;)

(I have to say this - he is master chef in our house!)
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Quickie Lamb/Beef Curry :- in a pressure cooker

2 or 3 chopped garlic cloves
    Some root ginger finely diced

One or two crushed cardamon pods
    1 tsp Cumin powder
    1 tsp Coriander powder
    1 tsp chili powder (or whatever to taste)
    Salt/pepper to season

1 tin chopped tomatoes
    chopped coriander leaf

- Put some oil into the pressure cooker and lightly fry ginger/garlic until soft. Add meat to brown and then add spices (add a little water or beef stock shortly after to avoid burning). Add chopped tomatoes and stir. Put lid on pressure cooker and turn up the heat. When pressure is set and lid sealed, reduce heat and leave for 20-25 minutes. Meat will be tender and spices infused. Chop some of the coriander leaf to garnish.

- other spices/veg can be added to vary the taste, but I would cook the veg separately as it may disintegrate when cooked with the meat. Instead of tomatoes, stock can be used to add cream, yoghurt or coconut milk later on. For a Morroccan style curry, just add lemon juice, hungarian paprika, caraway seed and roughly chopped turnip and carrot to the cooker. Green peppers ... prepare and add later.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  7. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Fish Supper

Walk around the corner.

Enter Chippie.

Say 'Fish Supper, salt, no sauce or vinegar'

Hand over £6.

Collect change, and fish and chips.

Walk home.

(PS - Quick and easy, but luxury item :eek:)
  8. floppymute

floppymute Member

One of my band colleagues put me on to this one. Don't be put off by the main ingredient - this is gorgeous!

Haggis Casserole

Chop an onion & slice a carrot then put them in the base of a good sized casserole dish.
    With a sharp knife slice the haggis into discs of about 1cm thickness and layer them over the onion & carrot. (I prefer to use what my wife calls the 'plastic haggis' you can buy in Tesco rather than those closer to the original concept)
    Then pour over the contents of a tin of Baxter's Royal Game soup. Re-fill the tin with water and add that as well.
    Top the whole lot with layers of sliced potatoes, season the potatoes and cook at about 180C for about an hour.

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

That haggis casserole actually sounds really nice to me! Despite having no scots heritage that I know of, I do like a bit of haggis...

I'll contribute....

Spicy (and easy) risotto. - Serves 2.

You need.
    1 Chorizo sausage (not sliced - has to be chunky) approx 250g but as much as you like.
    1 pack Batchelors golden vegetable rice
    1 Decent size onion
    Pepers (capsicum) to taste
    1 small pack ready cooked king prawns.
    Cayenne pepper, garlic, flaked chillies, tabasco sauce and tarragon.

Chop the Chorizo, onion and peppers into chunks.

Start the rice cooking following the instructions on the pack - but add 2tsp of flaked chillies (or more) and two finely chopped cloves of garlic to the water.

Dry-fry the chorizo until it starts to brown and strain off the resulting orange fat (it stains awfully so put it into a tin or something, not a dish or cup that you like....)

Return the chorizo to the heat, add the peppers and onions and fry for about another minute.

The rice should be nearly ready now, so add the pepper/onion/chorizo to the mix and stir.

Rinse out the chorizo pan, add a little olive oil, and fry the prawns in 1tsp of tarragon, 1tsp of cayenne pepper and a little tabasco sauce.

Serve with the prawns on top.
  10. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

not quick at all but for the ultimate chocolate cake

oil to grease
    625g (1lb 6oz) plain chocolate, 70% cocoa fat
    15 large eggs
    400g (14oz) caster sugar
    350g (12oz) ground almonds
    2 level tbsp ground coffee

Grease and line the cake tin with greaseproof paper. Wrap a band of newspaper six sheets thick around the outside of the tin. Break the chocolate into small chunks and melt in a large heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally.

2 Separate all but three of the eggs and reserve the whites. Place the yolks, the remaining whole eggs and the sugar in a food mixer bowl and whisk at high speed for 10-15min or until pale and the mixture leaves a ribbon trail.

3 Fold half the almonds and coffee into the egg mixture until evenly combined, then fold in half the melted chocolate. Repeat with the remaining almonds, coffee and chocolate until the mixture looks smooth.

4 Using a handheld whisk, whisk the egg whites until just stiff. Stir one quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the remainder.

5 Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, place a sheet of baking paper on top of the cake and bake at 170°C (325°F) mark 3 for about 1hr 20min. The surface must look set, but don't worry if the cake is slightly wobbly in the middle - it will firm up as it cools in the tin. Remove from the oven and cover with a tea-towel until the cake has cooled completely. To turn out, loosen the sides of the cake and flip on to the cake board. Cover and chill.

6 Trim off any dry or dark cake. Then, using a long cheese wire or a bread knife, carefully cut the cake horizontally into three using a sawing action. Use a flat baking sheet to lift and support the layers when sandwiching them with the Chocolate Truffle Filling

Chocolate Truffle Filling

350g (12oz) plain chocolate, 70% cocoa fat
    568ml carton double cream

1 Break up the chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl. Add 450ml (3⁄4 pint) double cream; melt over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until well combined.
    2 Remove from the heat, add the rest of the cream and mix in well. Allow to cool to a spreadable consistency, stirring occasionally.
    3 Use the Chocolate Truffle Filling to sandwich the three cake layers together by spreading a third over the cake's base layer, placing the second piece of cake on the filling and gently pressing down. Spread another third over the second cake layer and cover with the top layer, cut-side down. Spread the remaining filling thinly all over the cake and the cake board, filling in any imperfections on the surface of the cake. Chill for 15min
  11. on_castors

on_castors Member

A Scots favourite indeed, and highly praiseworthy, but raised to an even higher plane in the North East, where it is most likely also served with either Yorkshire Pudding (EVERYTHING can be served with Yorkshire Pudding in the North East, a bigger one, not those little things; but that includes roast lamb, chicken anything goes with Yorkshire!), Suet Dumplings or "Corner Puddings" which are effectively oven baked dumplings, also occasionally made into a suet (pastry) roll too. Rarer accompaniments are: steamed leek (or leek & bacon) pudding and rarer still, but MY favourite of all, a baked ONION suet pudding!
    On occasions the mince can even be "adjusted" with the addition of extra ingredients like, bacon or black pudding, and all the better for that it is too, but always accompanied in the same way by mashed Taties (note the spelling, not tatties!) Mashed Turnip (SWEDE to the rest of the country) is a common accompaniment too, just as are mashed 'Neeps in Scotland :)

Obviously all from a common origin, both the words and the food itself!

More recently the Scots "Pudding supper" is available in some places in the North East too, but I miss them exiled here in the Midlands :-(
  12. on_castors

on_castors Member

You would soon get out of that habit if you moved down to the Midlands! Or lose any concept of taste! :-(

Yorkshire, especially the North and South seem to be the last bastion of Fish & Chips here in England! (and no White Puddings or Haggis either!)
  13. on_castors

on_castors Member

Put off?... it's LOVELY!

Don't think I would adulterate it though... I get it too rarely!

We can only get the plastic ones here, they are OK, but not as good as the best. I miss the Fish Shop ones, deep fried in batter too :-(
  14. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

MichelleGarbutt's recipe sounds like a right heart attack on a plate... I've gotta try that!!
  15. floppymute

floppymute Member

Need to correct this..it should be cooked for 90 mins or thereabouts. Sorry if I gave anyone indigestion!:-?
  16. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

mashed Taties (note the spelling, not tatties!)

Tah tays - tay tays ..... Who cares..! Yummy! :D
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- remember to add a little skirlie to accompany.
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If that the "skirlie" of the "pipie" ? ;) :oops:
  19. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

if you feel indulgent add a splash of baileys to the chocolate truffle filling. It's the recipe I use when anyone orders a chocolate wedding cake
  20. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

This is lovely but extravagent:

1 Large Chocolate Swiss roll
    1 pint of custard
    1 large carton of double cream
    5 tablespoons of full fat milk
    5 standard size Mars Bars
    Sherry to taste

1.Slice Chocolate roll and place in the bottom of a straight sided dish.
    2.Soak the chocolate roll overnight in sherry - add to taste there is no set amount of cherry this part is trial and error.
    3.Thinly slice mars bars and melt in a saucepan over a low flame with the milk. Don't let it boil. Keep stirring. When melted, pour evenly over the chocolate roll covering all of it and allow to go cold.
    4.Make up the custard. It needs to be a thick set. When cold, pour over the base so far.
    5. Whip the cream until fairly thick and floppy, but not stiff. Pour this over the custard.
    6. Decorate with any confectionary to hand eg sliced up mars bars, minstrels, grated chocolate, smarties etc . Sit back admire and pig out.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009