What's your favourite non-brass solo?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

There are loads and loads of excellent solo's in the orchestral world but funnily my favourite solo isn't a Rachmaninov Piano concerto or Mozart Horn concerto, its the Concertino for Flute by Cecil Chaminade, heard it played when I was in the county youth band and thought it was brilliant....just a same it wouldn't suit the euphonium.

Anyway whats your fave?
  2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

What's this Andy, some pre-course research?

My all time fave solo is the Elgar Cello Concerto, even though the cello is not my top fav instrument.
  3. groovy

groovy Active Member

Haven't heard many.....but Weger's Andante and Rondo Ungarese for bassoon is fabby-dabby.
  4. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Whoops had to edit that, don't think Ms Chaminade had a sex change :twisted:
  5. bigcol

bigcol Member

Ravel's Piano Concerto for the Left Hand. Some magic moments in that, and leaves the pianist's right hand free for a pint during performance.
  6. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I don't mind a bit of Vivaldi (sounds great on any instrument too :wink: )

But my all-time favourite non-brass solo would have to be Meditation...I think iit's by Metalinet?? I dunno it sounds something like that, but I have 15 billion thoughts going through my head as I think about it!

The Chaminade is pretty, played in the accompanying orchestra in Hong Kong a few years back. Gave me an edge over the flute players when I went to uni and knew the solo part better than they did!!
  7. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Elgar's Violin Concerto for me, no question.
  8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

The Adagio from Bruchs Violin Concerto is one beautiful piece of music!
  9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

That sabre dance thingummy....
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I must admit to a bit of a bias towards the saxophone, and Milhaud's "Scaramouche" and the Ibert "Concertino" are both first class, but I think my favourite concertante work would have to be Malcom Arnold's "Concerto for Two Pianos (3 hands)", full of his characteristic wit but with a very poignant middle movement. Also love the Schumann "Konzertstuck" for four horns :wink:
  11. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

John Perkin's Ashokhan Farewell is just fantastic. would make a beautiful brass piece.
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Massenet, I guess! ;-)

For me, it would have to be the Dvorak Cello Concerto.
  13. BoBo

BoBo Member

Does Mozart Horn Concerto played on a hosepipe count as non brass :?:
  14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Not unless you've come across a brass hosepipe.... ;-)
  15. mikelyons

But it is played with a brass mouthpiece - usually trumpet, I think!
  16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

All right, put one of those Kelly mouthpieces in it then!

I can be pedantic too, you know.... :) :lol: :lol:
  17. mikelyons

:p :p :p