What's Your Favourite Concert Finale?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by robcav, Oct 27, 2008.

1. robcav

robcav Member

The title speaks for itself, I suppose. Whether you've played it or just heard it, which piece has most impressed you as a concert finisher?
  2. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

3. robcav

robcav Member

Agreed - an absolute winner with junior bands. I was thinking more along the lines of the top section standard finales though.
  4. dlls2275

dlls2275 New Member

Lucerne Song
  5. themusicalrentboy

I've always like Kingdom Triumphant for a christmassy one
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've always liked Denzil Stephen's arrangement of Shostakovich's 'The 9th Of January' from Symphony No.2. I don't think it's been played for years.
  7. Hard to beat the old war horses; Procession to the Minster and Pines of Rome.
    Have played them many times but they are still great.
  8. sunshine

sunshine Member

We quite often used to finish concerts with Hootenanny - and I always liked it, cheesy as it is, but then .......

This Saturday, myself and 41 other girls - or "Boobies" as we are known played Procession to the Minister (Elsa's procession to the Cathedral) in a joint concert with Brighouse and Rastrick.
    Those of you who know it, will know that it builds up getting louder and louder and when you have a band of over 70 players of which 7 are percussionists - it's pretty loud; my ears were still ringing half an hour later. But whooah, what a great piece to finish a concert with. And as if that wasn't dramatic enough - we then played The Floral Dance - well we were on stage with B&R - what else would they have as their finale??!!

Sunshine x
  9. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Florrie Fords my favourite
  10. andyp

andyp Active Member

Anything Russian, Wagner, or Berlioz, or the last movt of the Sant-Saens Organ Symphony.
  11. robcav

robcav Member

That's one of my favourites too. I think it's on the 1990/91? Euro highlights but I forget who played it. Powerful stuff.
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

1989 and Cory! ;) I've only played it in rehearsal and it's powerful stuff and a good blow for all!
  13. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Procession to the minster is hard to beat to be hinest. Although Reunion and finale from gettyyshamburger is good. Oh, and whoever suggested Kingdom Triumphant, i played it for the first time tonight.......Turgid. (you should be ashamed of yourslef hehehehe)
  14. themusicalrentboy

Masterblaster - play it in a cathedral, a little faster than is written.

tell me it's turgid then.
  15. Masterblaster jnr

don't tell me that, you make me cry. i only play in a 4th section band who only seem to do jobs in the centre of a market full of people chewing humbugs and buying cardigans. :(:(:(

probably is ok if it's played right, unlike tonight hehe.
  16. themusicalrentboy

sorry if I sounded high and mighty, but we played it in Lincoln Cathedral at Christmas a couple of years back and it sent shivers down my spine!!!
  17. Masterblaster jnr

ah don't worry. i've done british open gala concert but that's about it for high profile concerts. from there it has been the 'Humbug and Zimmer frame brigade' (he sulks).

Speaking of which, our finisher there was Life Divine, another absolute corker of a piece.
  18. themusicalrentboy

I feel your pain, really I do - but what would life be without the golden oldies eh mr Butler? :D
  19. Masterblaster jnr

I will have you know Mr Butler is a 'mature and experienced' fellow of our brass banding community. e.g he doesn't have dry rinses, or not what we know of.

Anyway, moderator time

Mr Jums :)
  20. themusicalrentboy

experienced? yes

Mature????? don't make me laugh!!!!!! :D

anyway, I'm sure there's a topic in here somewhere.......... ah yes, finishing music.....