What's your favourite Christman Carol?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 08cbinns, Dec 13, 2008.

1. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

Its that time of year again people. Concerts everywhere, carolling on the streets. We've had to grin nd' bear these songs out of the 'red book', so whats your favourite christmas carol?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Christman Carol
    Tuba
    Aussie
    Praise Ye The Lord
    Red
  3. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

Coventry Carol, every time!

4. impycornet

impycornet Member

I agree

5. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

yep i third that! though i find carols abit tedious i have to say that one a good'un! :D

6. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

5 in Red book

7. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Can't remember her last name but it was deffo the Christmas of '74 :icon_cheesygrin:.....
    I'm pretty sure she was a Carol....could be wrong, mind....

8. rcalvert20

rcalvert20 Member

My favourite carol ever is O Holy Night, its so pretty :)

xxx

9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Coventry Carol
    Just something in the music which sends a tingle down my spine each time i hear it.
    Come to think of it
    Coventry Variations made a great test piece in 2004 1st Section Area:clap:

10. sarah_bari#1

sarah_bari#1 New Member

We wish you a merry christmas cos that means we've finished!! Hurrah!!

11. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Coventry Carol is my traditional favourite. I played a fantastic arrangement by Andy Baker a few week ago. Very nice Andy (again).
    My all time Christmas carol is O come, O come Emmanuel. I love it. It's featured in The Kingdom Triumphant by Eric Ball (I think!). What a fantastic Christmas opener.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Christman Carol
    Tuba
    Aussie
    Praise Ye The Lord
    Red
  13. tuba90

tuba90 Member

I like Angels Sing again (Number 9) and Calypso Carol (Number 18) they are jolly and lively!!!!

14. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Since moving to Wales, I'm kinda starting to prefer some of the Welsh ones...

O Deued pob Cristion
    Hwiangerdd Mair
    Carol y Seren
    Suo Gan (Not really a carol but you get the idea)

15. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

'Who Is He?' is my favourite.

16. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Sweet Chiming Christmas Bells

Just been out today and judging by the amount of money going in the boxes at any one time, the public seem to like "on a Starry Night" and "Calypso Carol". But really anything with a lively beat. They put very little in when we play slow carols

17. grahammck

grahammck Member

Mine too!

18. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Praise Ye The Lord no. 66 in Red carol book
    it's good to play something a little challenging after all those easy carols

19. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

why oh why, coventry carol is the most depressing carol ever!!!

I do like wish you a merry christmas, as it does mean hometime, as previously mentioned!!

20. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Probably because of the chord progression. It is rather lovely.

21. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Coventry Carol is lovely, but I have to say the version in the red books and the green books before that doesn't really do the carol justice. I seem to remember it should be in a different time signature than 3/4 (9/8?) and there is definitely a time change for a bar midway though. To stick it into waltz time kind of messes up the beauty of the writing IMO.

For me Who Is He (or as we say around these parts "oo isE") is just gorgeous, but again the version in the old green books was better with a euph part to die for.

There are several - we often go "off piste" when numbers and players ability allow and we often get surprised at how good some of the lesser known carols are. But we are en-debited to the SA for producing such flaming good books to play out of. Today we had a very mixed group of players - always unbalanced as we were light on cornets but with a but of sensible part allocation the group always sounded great, whether it was four players or ten.

22. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

I've got a copy of Coventry Carol here marked as "original tune of 1591" and it doesn't have a time signature! Bar lengths are two, three or four (minim) beats at various places. Interestingly it only has three (rather than four) parts and includes a delicious F sharp against F natural clash three bars before the end.

The evened out three in a bar, four part version is certainly newer but still of some fair vintage by now. I can't say I'd want to see anyone waltz to it, it would be like watching 'Strictly' in super-slow motion...!

All that said, I do rather like it. And 'In the bleak midwinter' as well. And plenty of others. I don't think I could possibly settle on a favourite!!