What's your favourite Carry On film?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Sorry if this has been done before (and mods, please redirect if another thread along these lines exist)

Just been watching Carry On Screaming on DVD. Takes the mick out of every old horror flick you can imagine (including a homage to the Sherlock Holmes story 'The Speckled Band') and even the music with occasional references to Z Cars and (as Harry H Corbett is the lead character) Steptoe and Son. Unadulterated, corny, but fun!

Though it did get me thinking.... what has Fenella Fielding done apart from this film???

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think there are some gems amongst the early Carry-ons: Carry On Sergeant, that started things off, is very poignant, but does not really fit in with the others, as it is a different sort of humour, with a masterful performance from William Hartnell (the first Dr Who ;) ) as the sergeant determined to get top platoon with his last squad by being nice, rather than nasty.

Other favourites of mine are Cleo, Cowboy and Up the Khyber. The earlier films placed more emphasis on clever dialogue rather than just relying on the double entendre that took over later on, coupled with some good ideas and visual humour.

3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Carry on Up the Khyber is one of the best. Some of the names e.g. "The Kahsi of Kalibar" or "Bungdit In", you just wouldn't get away with them nowadays.

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Well for what it's worth i think that screaming and up the Khyber are definitely the two best ones but it has to be said Dave that if you're already on to the "Carry on film watching phase" of living in the outer reaches of the planet, then resorting to drinking your own ur*ne can only days away I'm afraid!!! (If you hadn't already startred that before you left Fulham that is!) ;)

5. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

ooh matron!! i love the carry on doctor ones. v funny!!

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Nah. It was usually somebody else's. Someone by the name of 'Foster's I believe....

No it's not a Carry On Phase. My main 'phase' is Pro Evo Soccer 4 on the XBOX.

Hang on, just going to top me glass up (zzzzzippp!)

:)

7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

There's a joke there somewhere involving a very famous train station in london but I shalln't go there...it is a family forum after all!!