What's Your Earliest Band Music Memories?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Jul 25, 2008.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I was asked today what pieces I remember from my earliest encounter with bands. For some reason the arrangement of 'Perpetuum Mobile' (Johann Strauss) performed by Dyke always brings back fond memories. Is there any piece that sticks in your mind from years gone by?
  2. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

My first ever piece i played in a senior band was the sounds of music! so that sticks with me! and my first ever brass piece i herd was barney's tune on a Grimethorpe CD and thought i wanna play that! I still haven't lol
  3. Queenie

Queenie Member

jock mckenzie - gospel rock...that was in the training band mind. erm my first piece in a "senior" band would be The Magic Flute...still close to my heart.
  4. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Annies Song and a piece called Carribean Calypso (i think) it was a suite we played (think it might have been goff richards) to play in Germany in the year dot...1983. Dobx b band! Its stuck in my mind as the first piece i played where i could give it some stick!
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My school band always played 'Sousa On Parade' in concert for some reason. I can't remember who the arranger was, but it was enjoyable to play if my memory serves me right.
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I think in my first ever brass band rehearsal we played Carnival of Venice. I couldn't keep up with the accompaniment, so I was quite amazed at the soloist!
  7. markyboy

markyboy Member

I can remember the first piece I played with a full band ( Holme Silver ) when I was about 10 . That was called ' Polished Brass ' , a rare original composition by Edrich Siebert (who as we know was more famous for arrangements) .

Later in the rehearsal we played ' New Colonial ' by R.B. Hall and the after hearing the Sop bit at the end , I had my heart set on playing that instrument .
  8. thepirate

thepirate New Member

The "Morayfirth". Following the band up the hill to the cenotaph as a wee boy in the early fifties. It sounded magic to me. A few years later, and it was "Le Preludes" in the Usher Hall. Had the good fortune to play it several year later at the Edinburgh Charities in the playhouse.
  9. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Earliest piece I can remember rehearsing was 'little suite for brass' for the areas with Monkwearmouth band. I remember band jobs and such before that but cant remember what was played.
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Earliest 'modern' sounding pieces I remember is Gregson's 'Prelude For An Occasion' and Vinter's 'Challenging Brass'.
  11. leisa

leisa Active Member

Yes, Barnard Castle and Hootenany we're the first two pieces i played with my high school brass band when i was in last year of primary school all the brass players got invited over to the high school to play those two pieces in a joint concert with YBS...i remember being on horn and not being able to play either of them at the time and being immensly scared of richard evans (I was only 10 and had never played or seen a proper brass band before)...barnard castle haunted us all for the next 5 years of high school :frown:
  12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

my first big piece was called
    The Old Castle Suite by Stewart Johnson
    My first test piece played was Divertimento by Eric Ball in a ensemble contest and came 3rd.
    My First test piece with School band (Shire Oak) was Voices Of Youth
    My very first test piece played with Senior Band (Walsall Metropolitan) was
    Rhapsody On Briitsh Sea Shanties by Donald Osgood
  13. RobBari

RobBari Member

Passing Moods, junior section at the Ebbw Vale contest. early 70's with Tredegar Junior Band. think we won by a mile.
  14. Blagger

Blagger Member

"March with a Beat "- on second Horn in the school band circa 1982
  15. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

1st ever contest piece - The Young in Heart by Eric Ball played with Royal Buckley Town Junior Band at the North Wales Rally held at Kelsterton College back in 1987 - I was 7 years old.
  16. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

First test piece was "Mexican Fiesta"
  17. bbg

bbg Member

Being from an SA family, some of my earliest memories are of the corps band playing, back in the days when Army membership / attendance was a really full-time commitment - every Saturday evening plus three meetings (and two open-air meetings) each Sunday. The first march that I probably recognised was "Emblem of the Army" played as the band marched back uphill to the hall after open-air witness. YP band days are memorable for such "classics" as the "Bargoed" and "Sandwich" marches, "Melodies from Great Composers" and other green book standards. Becoming a senior bandsman, I recall an early rehearsal when the prelude and fugue "Arise My Soul Arise" introduced me to Festival Series standard as an apprehensive young 2nd horn player.
    I retain an immense affection for "The Call of the Righteous" , a fantastic piece of music in any case, after playing this at Cobham Hall (National School of Music) in my last year there (1983) before age overtook me.
    After my 12 year absence from playing, it was good to get back into the swing of things, can't really say that any of the "programme" music that we all play has any particular significance but thoroughly enjoyed tackling Bruce Fraser's "Imperium" for Harrogate 2007.
  18. brass muso

brass muso New Member

A Swingin' Safari !!! Just how many times did I play that... ?????
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Does anyone remember the band radio programme that used to be broadcast very Sunday morning at 8 a.m. during the (early/mid) '70s? I used to listen to it every week after I finished my paper round. A lot of the most popular programme pieces at the time were played.
  20. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Not even I'm that old ;)