What's the rule?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Thirteen Ball, Apr 28, 2007.

?

Repeats 2nd time? Or straight through?

1. Yes, all repeats both times!

16 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. Don't be silly, no repeats second time!

46 vote(s)
    74.2%
  1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Ok, myself and my girlfriend having a bit of a debate about how marches should be played on a march contest.

My own opinion is, once through with all repeats, DC with no repeats second time.

Her opinion is with ALL repeats second time.

I heard a whole bunch of bands at whit friday last year play all repeats both times, but quite a few also did it with no repeats scond time. AND I've plenty of marches on CD with no repeats played second time.

What does everyone reckon? Surely Whit friday is tiring enough without unnecessary repeats.

What does everyone else do?

2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Discussed in reference to Mephistopoholes and Whits here

Personally, if it's written in Sonata form, I'd NOT do the repeats. If it's MY march it will say NO repeats on the DC or DS.

3. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

TO DC or not to DC?

The poll needs a "depends" button. 2 examples: Radetsky is always played with repeats on DC. On the other hand, Scaba have from time to time dictated for their March contest that bands play top to bottom, no DC. (due to time restrictions).
    When marching, military bands go DC and play through to the end and DC again ad nauseum stopping only when instructed by the drum major.
    Having said all that, the other thread debated this a while back.

4. JR

JR Member

Ravenswood won't work without the repeats on the DC will it Andi?
    Ive heard Dyke do Knight Templar both ways but I prefer no rpts 2nd time
    Mephi is an interesting one - doesnt need a DC but most do it and end in the minor - bit daft really
    I remember Denis Carr telling me that Glemdene (written by his father) was best without any DC, but if a repeat was required for a contest such as Whit Fri then one should go back to the trio
    On concerts I think it's best to finish at the bottom otherwise risk severe boredom!

JR

5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I read somewhere (and typically I can't remember where! :mad:) that John Philip Sousa didn't believe in writing DCs into his marches at all. He is quoted as saying (something like) "after you have the pudding, you don't go back for second helpings of the main course" (the pudding being the trio section!).

He also didn't like people changing the tempo of his marches - i.e. putting ralls etc. in, so they should be played strict tempo all the way through.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Some background and breakdown of march form here in Wikipedia.

Interestingly (although we may argue differently)...

7. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

ey up andi lad. I be with you on this one. :wink: i think its too much if the repeats are put in on the D.C. Im sure there are exceptions as people have mentioned above but generally i prefer my D.C.s senza repeat! sounds better i think. cx

8. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

I've voted 'no repeats', but I suppose it depends on wether you are marching and how far:confused:

9. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

I would say it depends on the march and the circumstances! Marches can be very taxing and from audience point of view they dont want to hear the same thing 4 times(with repeat) I was always of the opinion that marches where not repeated when playing through for the second time! I like others saw this as tradition but i think the question i would like to ask is there a rule for this or is it down to interpretation!

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I think that is the format most would prefer but some bands may play the repeats on the D.C. to show they have the stamina to do it unless contest rules instruct otherwise.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    bunch
    ALL
    bands
    everyone
    repeats
  12. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Definitely no repeats on DC.

By the time I've gone back to the top I can smell the beer thats waiting for me (Roger please take note for Whit Friday)

13. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Repeats in a March on a DC.

May I refer you to an Old Harry Enfield character called Frank

OIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

14. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Don't worry Andi and Jenny, Mr Rushworth will be telling you soon :wink:

15. on_castors

on_castors Member

I agree about looking at each on it's particular merits, but with a tendency toward playing no repeats 2nd time.

What about other times though, ie. when NOT for contest purposes?

I think some (most?) marches sound like stopping at the edge of a cliff when the D.C. is not played at all, yet over the years I have played many that way under varied conductors! :-(