What's the oddest concert you've ever played?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hornplaya89, Aug 13, 2008.

1. hornplaya89

hornplaya89 Member

We're playing a charity concert at the top of Snowdon!

see www.ramblingbrass.tk

.....but tell me, what is the oddest concert you've ever played?
  2. Bandsman1

Bandsman1 Member

I once did a theatre performance of "Brassed Off" in Bolton, and for the Whit Friday bit, we all had to march into the hall were the audience was seated and march around them in single file playing March of the Cobblers. Every 1 circuit we stopped playing while the "MC" of the village anounced the result, then started off again, but gradually playing worse, and worser, followed by more wrong notes than right ones. It was a scream. And I can tell you, its not easy playing bum notes on purpose. Well, not for some in our band!
  3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Fort Belan was a bit of an odd one for me , great views of Snowdonia...grade 1 listed building , was a midsummer concert with Simone Rebello as guest soloist , the band were showered with rose petals on the way in and all the punters were wearing purple toga's.....ace concert , nice place but It just seemed a little surreal...

for anyone interested check out the fort belan website...
  4. rebecca

rebecca Member

Remember that one well! Was brill!
  5. euphojim

euphojim Member

For me it was playing for a surprise party in the grounds of a country house on the Yorkshire coast. Of course it was raining and the band had to sneak into the grounds without being seen. We trudged across a muddy field and then clambered part way down the cliffs (again muddy) to where a makeshift platform had been built for us out of sight of the main house. We had a tent to provide some protection from the elements but then had to sit there quietly for what seemed like hours until the party guests were driven to the cliff top in a fleet of open topped buses – just as they appeared, we struck up. Thankfully beer and sandwiches were provided.
  6. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Did a local theatre company job years ago, 'Come follow the Band', was played. Would'nt that come from 'Barnum and Baileys'?
  7. millie6589

millie6589 Member

For me it was Bonfire night one year and we were hired by the council to play on top of some of the tallest buildings by the river (in York). We were given the instructions which had allocated times down to the second to play, but we were told to play any rhythm and any note we wanted....so there we were, split into 4 groups on top of a hotel, a church tower, a cinema and another tower, playing literally anything we wanted. It sounded terrible (unsurprisingly) and it was definatly interesting trying to lug a load of instruments up a rope-ladder and through a very small hatch in the roof
  8. Nice Horn!

Nice Horn! Member

Not so much a concert, but one of the oddest things I've done was when I was helping a band out on a tour to France. The French thought it would be a good idea for the band to play at the opening of a new roundabout! (yes the ones you drive a car round not the ones you find in the playground). So the band are all stood in the middle of a playing a suitable march while the cars are whizzing past - very strange.:confused:

Another strange job I played with my own band was for an Asian Wedding, we played outside the bridegrooms house at 8.00 am on a Sunday morning - bet the neighbours loved us.:p
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

That reminds me of when we were hired to put on a marching display at one of the Wimbledon celebrations - I can't remember if it was at the start or end of the tennis. We were under strict instructions to stay out of sight as we made our way past the hedges, carrying our bearskins so they wouldn't be spotted over the greenery! That was also a damp evening, and certainly not ideal conditions for a marching display in limited space :mad:
  10. Angoose

Angoose Member

Would have to be the Cheshire Regiment Rememberance Dinner/Meal. We normally play a few things whilst they all get drunk and jolly. One year one of them squashed a rat with his walking stick.
  11. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Um we ones played at an Elvis tribute concert! started the night off playing American trilogy then we could go home! That was a strange concert! lol
  12. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Just remembered this job that this first brass band I played with did. In these grounds of a large country house. The woman that ran the event, thought we were doing a fanfare for her, as she was coming up to the stage!! In essence we were tuning up!!
  13. hornplaya89

hornplaya89 Member

haha thats brilliant!
  14. m.f.cooper

m.f.cooper Member

I played on outdoor gig in Norway with a youth (wind :-S) band, and it was raining so hard that we had to fit under the overhang of a nearby building. It didn't help that it was an L shape! Half the band going to the right of the conductor, half going backwards. I couldn't even see the Trumpets & Saxes, let alone hear them!

15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

About 15 years ago i was asked top help out a band to play at a wedding not unusual i thought.
    It turned out to be a West Indian Wedding one of the players in the band it was his work mate who got married and he said if you want the band they will come and play.
    So they took a bit of Carribean Music with them to play for half hour .
    The people at the wedding love it.
    The food was more than yummy free Beer etc etc etc , ALL NIGHT LONG.
    I was not driving as one of the players of the band came and picked me up.
    What a night:clap:
  16. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Got to be with Kennington (Oxford) band in the 80's - never experienced anything like getting a full band on to a barge and playing while sailing (floating?) along the Oxford canals...! :biggrin:
  17. Bandsman1

Bandsman1 Member

Question about the Barge

I own a Barge (Narrowboat) and find it hard to believe that 25 bandsmen could actually get onto a boat like this and still play. Then it begs the question who were you playing to? anyone on the bank would only hear about 60 seconds of any piece you play until (even at 4 mph) you dissapeared out of sight. But I suppose it could have been a "wide beam" boat and perhaps you were simply sailing around in circles in a marina? Or did the audience just walk along the towpath to listen to you all?
    Sounded good though.
  18. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

:) The 'barge job' was a one-off - I do remember it was a nightmare getting on, and even worse staying on! We didn't have seats, only benches and boxes. Space was so limited we had basses amongst the cornets - but no drum kit if my memory serves me right! It had something to do with the people who use the canals and was a celebration/funday of sorts. I do remember buying souvenirs from the bargepeople on the canalside - decorated wateringcans/flowerpots/kitchen utensils etc. - it's so long ago the finer details evade me, but I'll never forget the experience. Of course our audience were those on the banks and bridges and I'm sure they must have enjoyed it, or at least had a laugh at seeing us cramped on the bus. And as things come back to me, I can also recall playing with the same band whilst driving through Oxford on the top of an open-top double decker bus!
    We had some funny jobs,...! :D
  19. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

We've stopped doing the job now, but we used to play a christmas concert in a cave in castleton. Nice acoustic, **** ache to get our stuff to the venue.