whats the conductor mean by "sing"?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by perfect cadence, Jun 26, 2006.

1. When we are playing certain types of music at band, the conductor will tell us to sing..... not la la la sing, but through our instruments.... i think..... but what does he mean by "sing" and how do i do it? because when he says it i just tend to play a bit louder! :oops:
    pleeeeaaaase help.... dont want to look silly

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    music
    la la la
    Lucida Sans Unicode
    SIZE
    COLOR
  3. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Although it's probably best to check with your MD - play as if you were singing.
    Project your sound (not necessarily play louder) and play with a suitable vibrato.
    You could try listening to some excellent singers, maybe some soul divas or opera legends for some inspiration.

If you are playing a work that was originally for voice, then obtain as many different sung recordings as you can get your paws on. Find an artist that you really enjoy listening to. Aim to emulate the fullness of their tone, the way they phrase the passages, and the differences in articulation.

However all MDs have their little phrases and sayings, that they've usually picked up whilst playing under a certain conductor for many years. Just one bar of misunderstood style can lose a contest or ruin the mood of a piece, so if you are unsure it's best to be clear on what is meant, no matter what they say.

4. i'll ask him what he means.... and how i can do it.......

5. like cantabile? - cant spell...... if thts wrong...

6. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Laura, this is exactly what your conductor means.

7. thankyou....... i feel well and truely told lol.

8. You are right, 'cantabile' means 'like a singing voice'. Use soft-tonguing to start the notes, hold them for the full duration, slot each note straight into the next one, and only take a breath when you're gasping, and one of those little apostrophes springs up! Add a bit of vibrato or fullness (but that doesn't mean you have to wobble it), and you're sorted.

9. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

but not too much. Quite a famous conductor regularly reprimanded me for excessive vib!:oops:

10. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I think that this subject is closely connected with another thread, 'emotion'. Singing is an emotional activity, babies and children sing automatically when they feel happy. Singing can also be used by soldiers marching somewhere, singing is a means of praise in worship, singing can be both powerful and plaintive in a requiem mass, singing can be a means of support in a football ground. If a conductor asks me, or I ask a player to sing the part, it means put some emotion behind it, so that it is not just a series of notes, but the melody comes alive, and is brighter and more meaningful.

11. ye that emotion post was mine aswel......

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    music
    la la la
    Lucida Sans Unicode
    SIZE
    COLOR
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:confused: - first time I have heard of this Tim. Please quote your source that singing is an inherent function. Where's the evidence that it is a hedonistic trait and triggered automatically? I hope you are not confusing this with babbling?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbling

14. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

:rolleyes: mmm, yes, I was a bit unclear there maybe. When I said babies, I suppose I was thinking of when they had passed their initial developement phase. I know that my own children, and those of family and friends, have all delighted in their early years with discovering the ability to make musical noises with their larynx, and singing their own little tunes when they were happy, evn if their little tunes only had two or three notes, and were even sometimes a little atonal. :)