What's the best trombone trio?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hicks, Jul 2, 2008.

1. hicks

hicks Member

Can anyone recommend a decent trombone trio for brass band? Something better and more challenging than the usual lightweight pieces like "Trombola" and "Frolic For Trombones".
  2. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

It's Alright with me
    Spanish trombones
    Sad & Blue
  3. andyfake

andyfake Member

It's Alright With Me - good band parts too and if you play it quick enough it can sound as dangerous as a good trombone trio should!;)
  4. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

It's Not Unusual
  5. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

The Faithful Hussar - arr. Fernie, pub. Obrasso.

Stirring stuff!
  6. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Ones I've played with various bands are Blades of Toledo (T.L Sharpe/Studio Music) And Hot Toddy (don't know composer/arranger/publisher off hand)
  7. smaca

smaca Active Member

Yip, agree, best I have heard.

Reminds me of when I could not stop singing "The Green, Green Grass of Home"

I went to the doctors and he advised I had Tom Jones syndrome. I asked if that was common, and he replied "Its Not Unusual".:oops:
  8. andyp

andyp Active Member

"I Will Follow Him" from "Sister Act"

There's a band version (not as good IMO) as well, but the trom feature is excellent. Think it may have 4 parts though?

We did it with our troms dressed as nuns, went down a storm!
  9. hot toddy is pants!, played it for years in the hebden bridge junior band it bored the hell outa me!

sad and blues a nice one, there was a trio version of the acrobat played by grimey a few years ago in concert at halifax and that was pretty good, and i hate the solo version coz like hot hoddy, i overplayed it in hbjb

i will follow hims not bad

these ones have all been mentioned already, just keep looking for some you'll come across some good 1s eventually
  10. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

No, 3 trom parts and a flugel part. Dunno why but for some reason the arranger put the high bit on Flugel.

Only goes up to a D.
  11. blades of toledo is definitely the best ive done! always wanted to play it again!
  12. andybt1984

andybt1984 Member

Frolic for trombones is the best I've played although I like 'I will follow him' but never played it.

ROBTHEDOG Member

Buglers Holiday works fine as a giggle let the cornets start it and say you can do simple stuff like that..

Also man many years ago I saw a Californian mad cap group "The Brass Band" at the Edinburgh Festival do Sabre Dance not sure if there's an arrangement but they had a sword fight on stage with their trombones ..
  14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

It's Not Unusual is tops for me as well...

I do think there was an arrangement of Basin Street Blues which was also quality
  15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Our three are currently doing Razzaza Mazzaza. the piece itself is pretty good, but not as good as some of the attempts I heard at announcing it!
  16. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

French Open 2008 - Lockwood Brass

The Blades !!

Legendary (eh, Crawford?)

:clap: :clap: :clap:
  17. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

emley are playing 'Dem bones at the mo, excellent stuff, Gordan Langford I think.
  18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Any Trio that says 'TACET' for the trombones. ;)
  19. drum_chick_sj

drum_chick_sj Member

it has to be you, and blades of toledo. temptresses for trombones is very good as well.
  20. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

From a brass band perspective the Eric Crees arrangement of 76 trombones is good.

I'd have to say the best trombone trio though is 'Steak and Kidney Supper' by Brian Lynn - excellent but unfortunately no brass band to go with it :(