What's the best summer gig you do?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by fartycat, Jul 24, 2009.

1. fartycat

fartycat Member

For me it has to be the New Forest Show - a three day event. We camp over in a field nearby and help out Downton Band who are a very friendly and welcoming bunch.

The band start playing at 9am (eek) hence the camping nearby bit and perform for an hour. Then we have an hour break, then back again - off and on all through the day. Of course it does help that there is a very good beer tent nearby plus a great food hall :)

Performing ends at 4pm ish and we toottle off to the beer tent till it closes, then back to camp for a relaxing bbq before falling into our tents ready for the next day's play!
  2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I haven't done it for a few years, but the band I used to conduct do a village pub beer festival every year. One year, as conductor, I was give the band's free beer tokens (2 free pints per player). As most of the band were driving, I ended up with a pocket full of beer tickets and only me and the BBb bass left. To our eternal discredit, we polished off the lot.:guinessIt got to a stage when one of us would go up to the bar and bring back two pints of something brown without caring what it was.

A great band job. Not for the music, though!:oops:

ps. I paid for it the next day. Big time!
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I did a gig last week with the Mossley Band at Cholmondeley castle.

Quite a good gig (even if one of the trombone players from another group was staring at me). Last night of the proms style with some extras added in.

Band to start, then a marching band, then the Manchester Camerata, Pipe band in the Camerata's break and the Camerata to finish.

And also saw one of these babies while we were there.

Any guesses at what it is? ;)
  4. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Any guesses at what it is? ;)[/QUOTE]

A re-cycled trombone?

5. andyp

andyp Active Member

Bugatti Veyron (cost £1m Euros when new). iirc there's only 2 or 3 in the country.

Our best summer job is probably Mawdesley walking day, a proper English summer's afternoon, two pub stops, and a proper English church tea at the end.

It used to be the Eagle and Child beer festival, but that's another story.......