Whats the best flugel horn?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Cornetto, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Cornetto

Cornetto Member

Ok people, I'm looking to buy a flugel horn but want to know what is generally considered to be the favourite model, or favourite few at least. I've played on a Yamaha before and really liked it. Also anyone know what model number the copper belled Maestro is? So far I've only found laquered ones - YFH6331G or something like that.

Thanks, Nick

2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

bach strad

3. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Our corps band bought a Yamaha YFH631G a couple of years ago and that has a gold brass bell. The player preferred this to the Bach but that could be because it is easier to blow. Bachs appear to be the most popular make
    About 5 years ago, I saw a B&S flugel at Rosehill Instruments in Beaconsfield. This was an exact copy of the Bach Strad. The bloke who designed the Bach had left the company and joined B&S!
    http://www.percypriors.co.uk/stores.html#beaconsfield

Have a look at this link for prices of new instruments from John Myatt;
    http://www.myatt.co.uk/flg.htm
    Also, check out their secondhand list, they've got a Yamaha 631 for £599 plus a Getzen Eterna 3 valve for £900.

You might see 4 valve instruments from Getzen and Blessing. I don't think these are liked very much.

4. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

My brother bought a Flugel last year. Having tried all the usual suspects (Bach, Yamaha, B&H, Getzen etc) he finally bought a Jupiter. He had the cash for another make but said this was by far the best! (Most in tune best sound etc). I think it only cost him £400, so it saved him a few quid as well.

5. Cornetto

Cornetto Member

[quote="carlwoodman
    Also, check out their secondhand list, they've got a Yamaha 631 for £599 plus a Getzen Eterna 3 valve for £900.

You might see 4 valve instruments from Getzen and Blessing. I don't think these are liked very much.[/quote]

I've got a 4 valve Getzen at the moment, but I don't like it - intonations hard to control and not as thick a sound. How much do you think I could get for it? Bearing in mind its about 10 yrs old but in excellent condition because its hardly been used.

Thanks for the links.

Nick

6. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Our flug player has the Holten Arturo Sandoval model and it seems great. Also copper belled, it has this cool purple colouring under stage lights. Sounds pretty good too.

Oh, and the case is enormous. I could fit in there...

7. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Myatts are listing a secondhand 'Blessing 4 valve, silver plate, as new' for £900. They are selling this for a customer, so 20% commission is included in this. Might be worth looking on Ebay as I've seen flugels on there sometimes.

8. sparx

sparx New Member

Kanstul ZKF 1525

6.5" copper bell with 3rd. VTS trigger

Cheers,
    Ted

9. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

The best flugel is a she, not a what.

Hows that CG?

D

10. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Nice one Mr. Mute!

I'd vote for the Strad meself.

Rach x

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Yamaha
    Nick
    Maestro
    favourite model
    best flugel horn
  12. Sparky

Sparky Member

Our flugel (my wife) plays a Smith Watkins and reckons its the best flugel she's had, she played Strads before she got the SW. When we were buying the flugel she tried the Yamaha Bobby Shew and the Courtois as well as the SW.
    She's just taken delivery of a Gary Radke 64fl mouthpiece and reckons that she now has the best combo.

13. bladder

bladder Member

I did! I bought the top o'the range, rose brass bell Jupiter, what a gem!! It a bit smaller than most modern flugels, but it makes a good sound and very easy blowing. It has, by far the best intonation, even in the high reg. >C, of any flugel I ever played, and I've tried them all (not the Smith-Watkins). You can get some real 'fog-horn' pedals as well, for a laugh. More importantly, it's cheap.
    I liked Bobby Shew Yamaha but this is more ideally suited for jazz, has more of a Bobby Shew/Chuck Mangione sound. Close behind comes one of the 'old' Strads. Don't reckon much to Getzen, Yamaha, Holton, B&H, etc, all have suspect intonation.

14. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

Kanstul Flugelhorns are quite well thought of here in the US. I have the ZKF1525 and it plays much better than the Bach Strad and Getzen flugelhorns I've tried.

Give it a try.

15. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I haven't played any myself, but I heard a lot of good things about the flugels made by Dutchman Hub Van Laar: http://www.hubvanlaar.nl/

Has anyone on here ever tried one of those?

16. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

The finest flugel for you is the one that plays best for you.

That said, the finest I have yet played is the Eclipse flugel. Which bell is up to you, but the instrument itself is simply outstanding. I am currently saving for an Eclipse flugel, copper bell. This is the only flugel I have yet played that has allowed me to sound like a proper flugel player (I play piccolo trumpet the majority of the time - completely different tonal concept needed).

www.eclipsetrumpets.com

These flugels play IN TUNE above the stave!

A friend and ex-student has just purchased an Eclipse Red flugel and it is a gorgeous instrument, beautiful sound and very easy to play. I still prefer the copper bell, but these things are very personal.

17. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I love my Bach Strad, it's loverrrrrly

18. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I have to agree with Mike here, the Eclipse Flugel is certainly the finest Flugel I have played.

19. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

i just invested in a new flugel, after having the same puzzle of which one to go for. i got a bach strad-they have a lovely full sound, and high register is good for me. its personal preference but i would recommend it.

20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I'm currently playing on a Bach Strad which is great - its getting on a bit now (just like the player!) but it has a nice rich sound and doesn't have too many tuning foibles (for a Flugel anyway...)

Wigston are also lucky enough to have a Kanstul ZKF1525 and to be honest there doesn't seem to be too much between it and the Strad - both are very good. Every now and then I swop which one I'm playing. It drives our Quartermaster mad, but at least it doesn't mean one is rotting on the instrument cupboard shelf.

I've heard some good reports about the Cortois - Flugelgal used to play one at Granite City and she loved it (even over her own Strad) - I've never played one (well not the latest model anyway) so I can't say for sure but lots of people are fans of them.

Really I think it is down to the Flugel you feel most at home on.

...I wish I could afford an Eclipse or Taylor one though...

21. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Courtois are lurvely!
    I have two of their different prof models-one mine and one bands, and they're both very very nice. I used to have a Strad which was also nice but i prefer the Courtois :)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Yamaha
    Nick
    Maestro
    favourite model
    best flugel horn