Whats the best CD you;ve heard this year?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jimothy, Oct 28, 2004.

1. jimothy

jimothy Member

Just sorting out my ever expanding CD collection and wondered which CD people most like amongst those published this year. I have to say that the music on the Regionals 2005 CD includes some great pieces (a shame that some of the playing could be better). The Trumpets of the Angels includes some great pieces by Edward Gregson as well as some terrific playing, but I think my fave for this year has to be David Thornton's solo CD "Three Stories, Three Worlds". There's some fantastic playing, especially Napoli, and a great new composition by Pete Meechan.

OK folks, shoot me down in flames and tell us what you have ben enjoying this year.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    CD
    Regionals 2005
    Edward Gregson
    Napoli
    Pete Meechan
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

No need to shoot you down in flames! Each to their own! Personal favourite from what I've bought this year? Not brass orientated at all, but it's the St Matthew Passion (Bach) as performed by the Gabrieli Players and soloists under Paul McCreesh on the DG Archiv label!

4. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

The best CD I have heard this year is the the one I bought recently.
    The History of Brass Band Music -The SA Collection by Grimethorpe. Simply outstanding imho.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  5. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Through work I'm fortunate to hear many CDs during the year so may I list a few rather than just one?

The Trumpets of the Angels (Black Dyke)
    Music of the Spheres (YBS)
    European Brass Band Championships 2004 Highlights (worth it just for St Magnus and Domen alone, imho)
    Rising Sun (Jens Lindemann with Canadian Staff Band)

6. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

shine as the light hehe ;)

7. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

LOL andy u forgot to say who its by.... (shine as the light... by St Helens Youth Brass Band... only £10 ;) *ends blatant plug*)

8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

My nomination was actually released in 2002 but I've only recently become aware of its existence - Voices on High by the Hannaford Street Silver Band. It includes Bram Tovey's Requiem for a Charred Skull (played at the 2004 RNCM Festival of Brass), and other pieces with a very high originality quotient; a piece for solo violin and band, works for band and chorus, and two pieces featuring electronics and recorded actualite respectively.

Highly recommended, although you have to send off to Canada to get a copy, as far as I can make out. The exchange rate makes it a bargain though.

9. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Has to be "Trumpets of the Angels" by a country mile, superb music , superb recording.
    Also an hon.mensh for "History.....The SA connection "(currently on my player here in office whilst I illicitly browse tmp!!) - although I have many other recordings of all the pieces featured, there is something about the freshness and clarity of Grimethorpe's reading that really stands out.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.... maybe the Elgar Howarth influence? ;)

11. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Might well be.He left the SA at a very early age as far as I know , but no denying he is a great musician that has conjured the best from his band as far as this recording is concerned.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    CD
    Regionals 2005
    Edward Gregson
    Napoli
    Pete Meechan
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.... anything I've heard with Elgar Howarth's involvement has that extra dimension that is rare to find! My personal hero! :D

14. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

No arguments from me on that score.Never met the chap , never played under him , but based on what I've heard on several recordings and from those that have had the opportunity to work with him , would love the chance to do so.

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

(I've just dug out a recording of Elgar Howarth conducting some Stravinsky with the Nash Ensemble, 1974 EMI. It has Howard Snell on cornet/trumpet, Denis Wick & Roger Harvey on trombones and Anthony Chiddell on horn. This was about the same time HS was playing and recording with the larger Philip Jones Brass Ensembles.)

16. bigcol

bigcol Member

Scissor Sisters ;)

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

18. As a newbie to the brass band world, i haven't heard any on record,
    so my choice would have to be

Green Day's American Idiont - it's punk rock opera people!!! On your knees and worship! :p

Nice to hear the Biffy boys get a mention, they are very under-rated!

19. Sonny Barker

Sonny Barker Member

OutKast - The Love Below

Radical

...dude...

20. Oh, I forgot one thats (vaguely) brass orientated...

The Mad Caddies - Duck and Cover

They play ska-punk, they have a trumpet player, and a trombone player, and they play at aproximately 3000 miles per hour. My girlfriend (cornet player) was shocked when she heard them play, it's worth checking out if you want to hear fast punk music with even faster brass playing!

21. deave

deave Member

best of savage garden!