What's the best accent?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Jun 9, 2004.

Whats the best accent?

1. Scottish

2. Geordie

3. Yorkshire

4. Mancunian

5. Brummy

6. Welsh

7. South (London)

8. South (Cornwall)

9. Scouser

10. Other - Specify

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

So what is the best accent then.

For me has to be geordie, just a class accent, spoke by class people :twisted:

Seriously though I think its a friendly accent and people tend to warm to it more. Scouser has to come a close 2nd, want a car stereo mate eh eh eh

But come on what accent do you think is the best.
  2. Yorkshire, every time
  3. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

What you mean that "Northerner" accent...... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  4. I didn't vote - no choice there for a Potteries accent.

Robbie Williams had one once.......

Cast kick a bow agin a wow, it wi yer hed and bost it?

Thats Stoke
  5. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

has tha nowt moist?!

For me it would be geordie, it's got such a nice soft lilt to it. i do prefer irish though.
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Need a little help for the stupid American

Haven't voted yet as I am struggling with the choices.

Scottish - Easy...from Scotland
    Welsh - Also easy, from Wales
    South (London) & South (Cornwall) - Is one of these the Cockney and the other the more proper?
    Yorkshire - I was thining this would be like Manchester, but am not sure?
    Geordie - No idea
    Mancunian - No idea
    Brummy - No idea
    Scouser - No idea

Could you give me some hints ...like location and an actor, football manager or movie character that has that accent.

7. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

:shock: :shock: how is 'Scottish' an accent!?! Glasgow (haw byraway) is different from Edinburgh (which to be fair is full of english people anyway) which is dfferent from West Lothian (ye ken) which is different from Dundee (fash)....

But obviously Glaswegian's the best scottish accent. :wink: we don't use fake words.

Best accent though is geordie.
  8. Kernewek Den

Kernewek Den Member

Re: Need a little help for the stupid American

You're not alone, there's a fair few accents between London and Cornwall :?
  9. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

cornwall is west by the way...

but there's only two other accents down south, posh and poor :lol:

and if you're going to get silly about it, the north welsh accent is different to the general south welsh accent, which again is very different from the valley accent...

and scouse is close to liverpool really, but it goes a lot further in some directions than others!

and st helens has an odd accent, although there are scousers here too, and wigan is different again, chorley, bolton... all have their own accent!

I now can't be bothered to think about 'geordie' accents, but don't call a mackam a geordie, that's my advice! they do sound different though.
  10. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

I know everyone says it, but I really don't have an accent.
    I sound different to everyone and alike no-one.
    That is, of course, until I launch my teddy, then I get the filthiest Manc twang.
  11. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

welsh accents r the best. i dont really know why, but i think welsh accents are the best to listen to.
  12. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

has to be those scousere for me
  13. Alice

Alice Member

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  14. Trigger

Trigger Member

Irish for me everytime! :wink:
  15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Southern Irish accents for me, i think they're the nicest to listen to.
  16. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

The 'Manx' accent is far superior! :wink: :lol: Have had people accuse me of being Scouse/Welsh/Irish/Geordie! :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock:
  17. rutty

rutty Active Member

Re: Need a little help for the stupid American

OK, just to help you out:

Scottish - Och Aye the Noo
    Welsh - Boyo
    South (London) & South (Cornwall) - I think he means Cockney for London. Cornwall is very different - Oooh Arrr, grockles etc. Can't think of any main media examples at the mo, sorry.
    Yorkshire - By 'eck - 'ecky thump etc. Ever seen American Werewolf in London? They went into a pub "on the moors" that was in Yorkshire. Some good authentic Yorkshire accents there. Or "Full Monty" was set in Sheffield, Yorkshire. Sean Bean is a bona fida Yorkshireman and speaks (when in normal dialect) like a Sheffield lad.
    Geordie - From Newcastle, often heard saying "Why aye" and other things difficult to understand. Alan Shearer is a Geordie. Not really used much in films but there must be some examples out there.
    Mancunian - From Manchester. Daphne from Frasier is supposed to be from there. Definitely not the same as a Yorkshire accent.
    Brummy - Kipper tie/cup of tea. Depressed-sounding dialect from the midlands (Birmingham). Always sound like they're going to top themselves any minute.
    Scouser - From Liverpool. Ever seen Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels? There were two scousers in that, complete with curly hair and 1970s moustaches. Or the Beatles were from Liverpool - like that.

All very general, but you get the gist. There are many different accents within each area, sometimes within the same town. Pretty much like it is in the States I suppose ;)
  18. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I like the yorkshire accent! I went to Uni in Sheffield and think it is great! I obviously don't have an accent. I was told at School by a lad I really fancied that I had the strongest Nottingham accent he had ever heard!!! argh!! I would say (and hopefully this will be backed up by people I know :shock: ) that I have a midland-ish accent but it isn't that strong. I am living in Manchester now and working in schools am just about getting used to the accent! Bolton was definately different to here and alot stronger. I like irish, scottish and geordie too!
  19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As has already been said regarding Scottish and Welsh accents there are vast variations within a area. By and large, I tend to prefer the gentler accents, whereas the harsher sounds can grate a little.

When we were in Sunderland after a while it was possible to distinguish very many variations, which to the unenlightened all tend to be lumped under "Geordie" - much to the disgust of those from Wearside, South Shields etc. We were up there when the Nissan plant was about to open and they were advertising for staff, but they made the unforgivable mistake in the adverts of using Newcastle-based actors - absolute heresy when the plant was to be at Washington :shock: :wink: :lol:

As to the accent which most annoys me, I suppose it would have to be Wolverhampton - roll up Barry from Auf Wiedersehn, Pet :twisted: :wink: :lol:
  20. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I love the Irish accent, but I've voted a bit closer to home, South (Cornwall)... which is actually southWEST... ;-)

Alreet me lover!!!

Love the Devonish accent- seeing as thats where I've lived most of my life and I can come out with the accent unexpectedly, then people I know up North fail to understand what I say :lol:... (eh Jez?! :p)
    The Cornish accent is great ;-)

Just remember people, that only cos my surname is Cornish and I used to play in Cornish bands, that I have never lived in Cornwall, ever and probably never will...
    Cornish by name, not by county!
    A thanking you...