What's the aural equivalent of rose-tinted spectacles?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BrianT, Jul 14, 2006.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

Ever had one of those moments where you haven't heard a piece of music for years, and then it comes on the radio and you think "Oh good, this is is going to be brilliant" and you turn the volume up...
    ...and it's not nearly as good as you remember? Or worse, it's complete rubbish, and your children (who are politely listening 'cos you said it would be good) look at you with pity, wearing "the old man's completely lost it" expressions.

So the question is "How should we describe this sort of thing?". It's not rose-tinted spectacles, 'cos you're not looking at something...
    Any ideas?
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

nightingale earphones?
  3. andyp

andyp Active Member

Adjudicator's ear trumpets? :biggrin:
  4. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Soft fluffy earmuffs.
  5. MartinT

MartinT Member

Inadequately-cleaned hearing aids?

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

cobwebbed ears? :rolleyes:
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

So something you thought was brilliant at the time, but is actually complete rubbish....

Stock, Aitkin and Waterman? :-?
  8. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

The earphones of education?
    Acquisition of taste?
    Wisdom of old age?
    Senility? ;)
  9. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

A Gold-Plated ear trumpet ?

But I do like..
  10. BrianT

BrianT Member

Er, nearly, right decade anyway - it was actually M/A/R/R/S and Pump up the Volume if my failing memory serves me correctly.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- mind you, Pump Up The Volume was played solidy in clubs and always got people up on the dancefloor during that era ... and then came aceeeeed!

p.s., did you know that M/A/R/R/S were successfully sued in Great Britain by Stock Aitken Waterman for the use of a 7 second vocal element taken from the latter's Roadblock and used in the single's early pressings?
  12. BrianT

BrianT Member

...and another thing.

At the time it was released, I remember thinking the soundtrack to Chariots of Fire was absolutely awesome. We borrowed the DVD from the library recently, but when we sat down to watch it, instead of being awesome, the music was just awesomely cheesy.
    Pass me those rose-tinted earmuffs.
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Its been a while since it was used here, but I can only say one thing to that, Brassneck...

I remember going through some old stuff the other year, and finding an old S'Express tape (yes... a tape, anyone remember those?) from circa 1989. When it came out I couldn't get enough of that album, so I thought I'd play it for old times sake. What a load of junk! Although some of the DJ style introductions between the tracks were worth listening to for comedy value alone - espectially the one courtesy of a certain Mr Tim Westwood. Hilarious.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2006