What's It Called Again?!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jockinafrock, Dec 17, 2012.

1. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

For the life of me I've been trying to remember the name of a piece I played many years ago under Ron Sudworth at Kennington Oxford Band.

The only things I can tell you about it are that it was an arrangement of an orchestral piece... it was supposed to depict when players had candles to light their music on the stands and, as each player came to the end of their own piece of music, they blew out the candle and left the stage, leaving only the violin leader. It was something like ' candle light serenade' or the likes
    :confused:

HELP! It was a lovely piece of music and I've never heard it since, either orchestral or band arrangement.

And if anyone knows where we could get a set that's be fab!
    Cheers!
    :icon_biggrin:

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sounds like Siebert's arrangement of Haydn's "Farewell Symphony" ...

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The Adagio of Haydn's "Farewell" Symphony (No 45), written when the orchestra were wanting a holiday.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Snap!!! :cool::tup

6. Indeed there is...

The Farewell Symphony
    By Joseph Haydn

Composed in 1772, Haydn's Symphony No.45, better known as the Farewell Symphony due to the circumstances of which it was composed. Haydn's employer, Prince Nikolaus became so attracted to his Eszterhaza Castle, he spent longer and longer there each year. The court musicians were not allowed their families with them and became increasingly depressed. This symphony was composed in such a way, that during the last movement, one by one, each player blew out their candle, and crept of stage. The idea being that the prince would get the subtle hint. The next day, the court returned to Vienna! Arranged in the same way, players able to walk off one by one, a perfect ending to a concert, or first half.

Full score & parts: £18.95
    Available here: http://www.penninemusic.com/show_score_details.php?id=79&tf=F6.rtf

7. jockinafrock

Thanks everyone! Will certainly be buying it come pay day PMP! :icon_biggrin:

8. George BB

George BB Member

If it is the "Farewell Symphony" then it is arranged for brass band and we have used it this year. No candles but that sounds like a novel twist.

9. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

I once used the Siebert arrangement to get the band of the stage at an Entertainment contest

10. jockinafrock

We did the very same at a concert once - ended the first half with this, then came back on the 2nd half in reverse playing 'One Voice'. Went down a treat! :D

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    FONT
    comic sans ms
    lovely piece of music
    orchestral piece
    band arrangement