What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Now I know my surname is a rather unusual way of spelling 'Payn' ('pain' would be more appropriate) but twice in the last two days, I've been asked to give my name for one reason or another, and have gone to great 'pains' to spell it out 'p-a-y-n and no 'e'. And both times they write it down, and stick an e on the end. Is it coz I fick and carn't even spel mi oan naym? On the second occasion, I actually challenged the person concerned as to whether he heard me spell my name out. He replied 'Yes, but that's how Payne is always spelt' 'So you're trying to tell me I can't spell my own name then?'

I mean it's not like my surname's Kopinski, Wojtowicz, or even Zylgtirhytw (!) AAAGGHHH

Anyone else had problems with people who assume you can't spell your own name?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    way
    pain
    Payn
    e
    car
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Not myself, but one of my friends at primary school, who had a terrible job convincing the teachers that his christian name was "Relf", when they were trying to get him to write "Ralph" - his parents had to come down in the end to sort it out, as he was getting so wound up about it :shock:

4. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Yep!
    Old people call me Alec without fail.
    As for surname, just don't bother.

5. Not really had many problems with mine! (Wilson)
    But every now and again there is a muppet who insists on putting 2 l's in it.

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

What, you mean 'Katell'???? ;-) :lol: :lol:

7. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

My wifes name is Lizabeth. However more times than we care to remember, she will fill in a form for the bank etc as Lizabeth and the documents will come back as Elizabeth!

Perhaps I should charge the bank everytime I send them a letter!

8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Children and staff at school NEVER put the "s" on the end of my name, no matter how many times I write it, spell it out or scream and shout about it.

To make maters worse, there are two Mrs Lyon in school and some of the kids seem to think I'm married to both - or either!

And that's without them putting an 'I' instead of a 'Y'

9. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Oh yes... tis a combination of having a less usual spelling of christian name (Neal) and an original Surname (O'Kennedy) The amount of people that drop the "O' " is staggering, plus the mispronunciation of "Neal" is quite common..
    ah well...

My sister Niamh has all sorts of problems. Of course, she signs her name in Irish, so some of it's her own fault...

10. Yeah course I do! :?
    Willson you numpty!

11. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Of course another spelling is Loyns, which has all sorts of connotations, but I think it can usually be put down to dyslexia :roll:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    way
    pain
    Payn
    e
    car
  13. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Not particularly a problem with the spelling. My first names begin with M and R and S. So on my cheque book it has the account name: MRS Hackett. The amount of times I've been challenged about whether the cheque book is mine or not.............Sheesh :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :? :?

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Somewhat similar to the post above, the wrestler "Big Daddy" used to tell of how as a child he received a doll at Christmas from The Salvation Army, misled by his name, which was, of course, "Shirley" :shock:

15. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Shirley you can't be serious!

16. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I've lsot account of the number of times that I have had said my surname has 2 n's, and yet they still spell it with one.

The one that really gets my goat though was when I was living in Sheringham, the amount of times that I told them it was spelt She-ring-ham, and yet they still managed to stick 2 r's in it.

If ever I get hold of them, they will have trouble with their r's....my size 12 will be promptly up there!! :evil: :evil:

17. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

When I was at school people nearly always spelt my name wrong...I mean the teachers have it written down in front of them and some still managed to get it wrong!

Most usual way that i've had people spell my name is:

Griffis
    Griffin
    Griffith

Used to be pretty annoying...especially when they spelt it wrong in a programme or something

18. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I don't have too many problems, although when we were living in Essex (no offence guys, but it's true!) my mum started to automatically follow lynch by spelling it out when someone asked her for it because of the number of less than brilliant specimens who spelt it with an I... for years I thought she was Barbara Lynch-ell-why-en-see-haitch (well I don't know how many marriages she's had do I??)

19. drum_chick_sj

drum_chick_sj Member

well my name couldn't be simplar yet so many people spell it their own way.

I've had Sarah as Shara, Sara, Sahara.
    I'm fed up of people putting a y in Jane. Its just not there!!!!
    And as for my surname. Burn - also written down as Byrn, Byrne, Burns.

I hate it. its just plain and simple Sarah - Jane - Burn.

Another problem is that of u write my name in joined up writing, u have to elongate the hook on the r otherwise i might get a phone call looking for a Miss Bum!!!

20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Talking of which, I remember seeing a shop in Peckham, SE London called Flickers. The shop sign was written in capitals and I had to do a double take as the L and the I were rather too close together for comfort.....

21. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

well usully when i introduce myself to someone

they usually end up calling me:

Jerome
    jerrod
    jeramy
    jerrem
    gerald

then finaly they manage to get it right 'jerram'

so find it easier to stick to Jez (but then they sometimes think i'm caled jess)

:roll:

22. dyl

dyl Active Member

I always end up having to spell my name out, after a couple of attempts at pronouncing it the proper way! I then get the customary 'Oh you mean 'Dillan' - NO, I MEAN DYLAN!!!!! :twisted: