Whats happening at Dyke. Brett gone??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cplcharisma, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleanor91

Eleanor91 Member

Fair play, I misunderstood what you were saying.
    Yeah that list is full of very inspiring conductors for sure... Bram Tovey what a legend!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2010
  2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Well-Known Member

Sir Simon Rattle
    Gustavo Dudamel

Would be interesting to see what a couple of the world's great conductors would do with one of the world's top brass bands. My guess is that Black Dyke might make incredible leaps forward on the concert platform, but the contesting might take a backseat.

3. JRH

JRH Member

You mean musical interpretation and performance might be more important than scoring points? Oh my, that would be horrible.

:eek:

4. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

There is NOT a vacancy for a new MD at Dyke as far as I know, therefore this debate is at best irrelevant, and at worst vindictive stirring. Do yourself a massive favour Cath and lay off Dr C and family - it's just getting silly now.:frown:

5. Eleanor91

Eleanor91 Member

:clap::clap::clap:

6. What's your point? I also think that Dyke should get a new MD. They are lacking inspiration, whenever I hear them. There is no immediate need to, but it may give them a push... and they should definitely get a better-sounding trombone player.

7. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

My point is fairly clear - there is no vacancy at Dyke for a new MD and why even consider the rest when you already have the best? As far as trombone goes I think they are also pretty well sorted unless they want to go down the pro route and appoint someone like Christian Lindberg or Duncan Wilson. Personally I regard B Baker as the best there is as far as band trombone playing goes.

8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Here we go again. Yet another anonymous user making cheap jibes at me in the form of overblown compliments. Give it up, it's getting boring. So, how many tMP accounts have you got now?

9. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Hm. That's a separate thread all by itself!

10. Cath Ata

Cath Ata New Member

I'm not sure about the trombone thing. Christian lindberg is a but above a Thursday night reharsal in Queensbury I would imagine, (financially i mean of course) and I've never heard of Duncan except on this site. I'm sure he's a great player, but dyke would need someone with fully fledged contest wings surly. Nick Hudson or perhaps Jonathan Beety? Although to be honest I didn't think there was an issue with Bretts sound. Was there?

As far as the md thing goes, I just think that it would be positive for the band and their fans to have a new and different slant, which would be easily brought by any of the conductors mentioned here.

Ian Porthouse would be a great choice. He would be hungry for results and wanting to proove he can perform on the very highest level. Exciting for us in the audience that's for sure!

Whats young Steve Sykes like then?

11. doctor thick

doctor thick New Member

I.P. would be an interesting choice. Ex player and all that, last time dyke went down that route it resulted in the best Dyke sound in years which hasn't been bettered by Watson or the good doctor. Their sound is certainly seriously massive but maybe they struggle to mix it up a bit. Tovey would be a logical choice but I doubt they could afford him. The name that would tick all the boxes would be Withington. He is a winner. He reads the score SO much better than what Dyke have presently and his performances are not as cliche as N.C.

12. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

From the six or so solo albums I have of his, I'd say his sound goes a bit thin in the super-high register. But no, he's still a very fine player, and I doff my hat to anyone who actively commissions new music.

Sorry, off topic again.

13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Doesn't everyone's?!

He deserves respect for taking on that register at all on a large-bore trombone. I've yet to hear any trombonist at any level who isn't on a small jazz-style instrument attain a full sound above super C. In fact, a nice sound above a 4 leger line G is pretty extremely infrequent. Most soloists don't like to show when they are playing on the edge of their technique, and so they shy away from the edges. Not Brett - and I have a lot of respect for that on grounds of both guts and audience engagement - it helps engage an audience if they feel that they are witnessing something that is not guaranteed to come off.

14. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

It's easy to get bogged down discussing the finer points of a great player, but as far as I know B Baker is not leaving Dyke. Even if he were it seems that Lindberg can't do Thursday night rehearsals & Duncan Wilson is too grumpy.
    As for replacement MD's it is all irrelevant gossip seemingly based on the 2010 contesting season. Alex Ferguson doesn't win the champs league/premship every year, but his team stick with him as he is the best. Also like Ferguson, a lean year in terms of results for NC would be massive for any other band/conductor. I know the football analogy is a bit crude, but I am just trying to put NC's long term record in perspective for all those who think there is some sort of crisis in Queensbury.
    I think cath ata is just trying to stir the pot, and dr thick is a joke as is his user name - how on earth can you be a doctor and thick?!:-?

15. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

So since we now have established that Brett baker is Not leaving Black Dyke, the purpose of this thread has been achieved (see title: "Brett gone?"), I think the thread has run its course.
    Like you said yourself: the rest is purely speculation and probably meant to stir.
    Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.