Whats happening at Dyke. Brett gone??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cplcharisma, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

But we're discussing part of the reason that Brett has been busy with non-Dyke activities - exactly what the thread title says !!

2. doctor thick

doctor thick New Member

Right, a guest conductor on the first ever course! Interesting. So as the band obviously operates with a floating guest conductor year on year, have there been any other M.Ds since course two. Any renowned youth conductors? That would make sense. Maybe Mark Bousie or Samantha Harrison or Chris Wormald or Chris Jeans. All with HUGE and relevant youth band conducting credentials. Would they ever get a look in or is the course far to massive for the names mentioned?

3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Sorry Ron, but the five previous posts to mine were all about which recording was done first - nothing to do with player movements at Dyke. I wouldn't normally jump in so quick, but Jan has already made several requests for this thread to stay on topic. But I see good old Dr Thick has started us back on track again, not surprising seeing as he seems to have very little to say about any other subject here.... :rolleyes:

4. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

Maybe no other conductors because all the above named are professional teachers, whereas as I understand it Nick gives his services for free as does his wife as treasurer. I'm not accusing any of the people you mention of profiteering, but rather that NC is successful enough in his other ventures to be able to give something back to the movement in this way - how many other top conductors have the inclination and make the time to do this at grass-roots level?

5. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

1st there was Masterblaster Junior, then there was the musical Rent boy, then Kjata...... You Eleanor are fast turning into the most irritating new teenager on here. Embrace it!

6. cplcharisma

cplcharisma New Member

I heard from a member of the band that the underlying truth is that thornton and baker were talking in terms of the band perhaps looking for another conductor.

They were found out and arrangements made for their swift departures from the band. Sane thing happened a few years back with Webster and Howie. Although there were other issues, primarily the reason for their sackings was their being willing to vocalise wishes to work with other conductors.

This has been an exercise in Childs self preservation.

7. BlowRob

BlowRob New Member

I've been floating on this thread for a while so might as well give my first post a shot! (please don't crucify me)

Unfortunately this is, like a lot of people on this thread, pure tripe. Has brett even left for a start? And i'm sure i've heard it mentioned around the banding press (or facebook/twitter) somewhere that David Thornton will be getting some sort of memo for his service to the band at a concert in the near future? Sacking i think not.

Anyway, all seems settled now up at Queensbury so we'll have to see how the new band copes in contesting next year. And the best of luck to them and their new players.

And all the debate whether Dr Childs can write music or not, did Mohammad Ali make his own boxing gloves? No. Why? because he knew people that could do it to a better standard. Does Nick write music for his band? Not that anyone is aware of. Why? Because he knows people that can do it to a better standard (Wilby, PLC)

8. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

IF any of that is true then Dr Childs has done the band a massive favour by quashing any unrest before it blows out of proportion. They seemed to do ok after Webster and Howie left, suggesting that perhaps the MD is doing a great job.

9. johnm

johnm New Member

It was thought better in it's inaugral year that the NCBB have a guest conductor to start, as the exercise was very much experimental. It proved to be such a success that the powers-that-be decided that the organization should have a permanent Music Director just like the 'mother' organization the NYBB. Mrs. Childs is not and never has been the treasurer of any part of the NYBB/NCBB . Please check the facts!

10. doctor thick

doctor thick New Member

So successful was the courses that directional regime change was the obvious decision! Never suggested Mrs c was treasurer. And if the course is being directed for free as has been mentioned then I honestly dip my hat. That's a very generous and massively unsung help to the future of banding.

11. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

2010 ? :biggrin::biggrin:

12. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

Not a vintage year for NC & Dyke, but one swallow does not a summer make - look at his record over 10yrs rather than 10 months. It's a nasty bitter habit we have in this country, knocking our best people off pedestals of our own construction.

13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

lmao

14. Eleanor91

Eleanor91 Member

I agree...

15. Cath Ata

Cath Ata New Member

Dyke need new MD. I think it would be good for them as a band and in institution. A change now and again is a positive thing. I think the band should perhaps have a couple of contests with a different conductor, jut to try and stay fresh. They are a superb band but some of their contest performances although technically superb, don't really sparkle any more. (For them I mean, which is better than most anyway of course.)

It definitely should NOT be the other Childs brother, or the mini me, though. :cool:

Are Dyke on York instruments too?

16. sbandsman

sbandsman Member

Is Cath Ata doing the proper job (Catheter) and removing the urine!:oops::eek:

17. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Why? I think he/she makes a good point.

18. Eleanor91

Eleanor91 Member

I thought I'd ask the experts;
    Who would you get in to conduct dyke?

19. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Want to get away from talking about replacing Nick here (he has done a good job there), I am just saying names I would go for if Dyke found themselves without an MD, I would be looking at:

Howard Snell
    Allan Withington
    Bramwell Tovey
    David King
    Bjorn Sagstad
    Ian Porthouse
    Russell Gray
    Jim Watson
    Jim Gourlay
    Bob Childs

Not just for Dyke either, any top band......

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  20. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

I am no expert btw.....just an opinion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.