Whats happening at Dyke. Brett gone??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cplcharisma, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

So am I, it doesn't mean I can't play.

To pick up a conductors' baton doesn't mean you suddenly lose the ability to play just as well as anybody else. It just means that you're passing it on.

2. johnm

johnm New Member

Lynda Nicholson was indeed the first 'guest conductor' of the NCBB but the band were formed at the initiative of Nicholas Childs.

3. Eleanor91

Eleanor91 Member

Linda Nicholson was involved in the start of the NCBBGB. Nobody is saying she wasn't. I think the dispute is over how much the Childs Brothers have contributed to lower section/youth bands. Since Linda's absence after the first course it cannot be denyed that Dr Nick has done a great job of encouraging the movement's youngsters on the NCBBGB.

CAN WE GET BACK TO DISCUSSING THINGS CONCERNING THE RECENT MOVEMENTS TO/FROM BLACK DYKE NOW??????????????????? - incase people have forgetten that is what this thread is for.

4. BoomtownRath

BoomtownRath Member

Finally............halleluja :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Any gossip on Brett then?

5. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

But surely the MD is involved in the changes? Therefore is part of this discussion!

6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I suppose that depends whether the calls were his or not.

Which brings us back to the reasons behind the departures.....

7. Eleanor91

Eleanor91 Member

Would it not be best to just see how this all plays out instead of speculating and upsetting people???
    I mean, it's not really got anything to do with you unless your the person it's happened to has it?

8. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Then there would be no discussion Eleanor which is pretty much the whole reason for discussion forums!!!

9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It strikes me that it would have been to Dyke's benefit to have issued an official clarification of matters on this thread pages back. Andrew Bannister's fulfilled this function a few times for Grimethorpe on this forum, and it always makes me thankful that it's prevented pages upon pages of meaningless wittering innuendo from following...

10. Eleanor91

Eleanor91 Member

Discussion or gossip???

11. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

They have a website and it's all on there/4br if you want. Thornton situation all explained, as is 2nd euph. The B Baker thing seems to be speculation based upon a busy diary, and Dr Childs doesn't seem to have horns/ pitch-fork on the band photos as far as I can tell.

12. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

No, but I do notice that on my recently bought copy of his new CD 'Summon the Rhythm' he claims to be presenting the premiere recording of Philip Sparke's 'Capriccio for Trombone'. This was a surprise to me because I have a pre-premiere recording of the same piece played by Chris Thomas on Cory's CD 'A Tale As Yet Untold' which was released some time ago.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

This sort of slip-up occurs from time to time: if I remember correctly, the Cory recording appeared somewhat unheralded on the Open weekend, whereas Brett's was released at the Nationals some four weeks later. At the time of recording and preparation of the notes it probably was believed to be the premiere recording.

14. James Yelland

Possibly. Although as the producer of the Cory CD was Mr Sparke himself, who I recall used to have some connnection with the Polyphonic label on which Mr Baker's CD appears, you might think some sort of communication might have been possible within 'This Great Movement Of Ours'.

Not that it matters, of course. For the record, the Baker version is better value. It lasts for 3 minutes 52 seconds against the Thomas version of a mere 3 minutes 39 seconds...

15. John_D

John_D Member

Does anyone know when the two versions were recorded? Very possible for the first recording to be the second to be released for a variety of reasons (technical problems at pressing plant, waiting for other pieces on album to be recorded, record company waiting for album artwork or printing etc)

16. Eleanor91

Eleanor91 Member

Er this is a silly thing to say. It's not the longest version that is the best value, surely its the one with the best playing on it???
    I wouldn't like to make that call though. I think you might also find that the different lengths in time are due to different musical ideas...

17. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Well-Known Member

18. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Do Cory actually claim to have the premiere recording? If not, where is the problem? If this wasn't so far off topic Mr Sparke himself might be reading and offer a comment.

{Oooops - edit note added due to being far too slow writing my post LOL}

Aaaah .... BUT the Baker CD has 11 tracks for 13.95 = £1.27 per track = 0.55p per second whilst the Cory one is £13 for 13 tracks = £1 per track = 0.46p per second so actually the Chris Thomas version is the better value for money.

19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ahem.... I fear we're straying again..... ;)

20. James Yelland

Well, quite. Evidently my own peculiar brand of humour does not transmit itself to everyone through the medium of the written word!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.