Whats happened to Vic's Horn?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Di, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Vic got her horn out tonight at band only to find that down the front of the bell, and round the bottom edge and a little round the bend (the horn, not vic :-D ) are very dark brown patches. It looks just like someone has taken a blow torch to it. The marks were not there at band practice last night, the instrument hasn't been out today before tonights band and she found all these horrible marks? The poor kid, she's quite devastated, her horn is her little pride and joy). Anyone any ideas? Looks like a total relaquer job :cry: . Mind you, she has been on for a couple of years about having it rose laquered anyway, so maybe she's just taken a brillo pad to it. :p ;)
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  2. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Band...brown stains...I would suggest beer but only really known it to stain music and the odd band jacket, not usually horns!
    Possibly some valve oil has leaked onto it somehow? Not sure what kind of mark that would leave, if any, on the instrument though...
  3. Di

Di Active Member

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Panic over. :oops: While she was panicking in the bandroom, some kind person handed her a silver polish cloth to see if it would come off, to no avail, so we were assuming the worst. We've rubbed, dusted, thought of all the things that could have done this (several people said it looked like it had been exposed to intense heat).

Well, call me silly if you like, but I thought, why not give it a go with a bit of real silver polish and see what happens! :oops: :rolleyes:

It don't half sparkle! :-D

BUT, still no real explanation as to why a horn, always kept meticulously clean, would suddenly, over night, take on the look of a piece of silver that hasn't been polished for 12 months? Very strange.

Anyway, the good news (for me anyway) is it doesn't look like a re-laquer job anymore. ;)
  4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Could be an environmental effect. Any bit of sulfur will tarnish silver quickly, and there are probably other things that will do as well. All it would take is for the case to be put in such an environment for a while - no case is airtight.

When the National Capital Band toured New Zealand, we played in the town of Rotorua, which is known for sulfur springs. We could literally watch our silver instruments tarnish in the time from the beginning of a concert to the end just from being exposed to the sulfur in the air.
  5. Di

Di Active Member

Hmm, yea, but we haven't been anywhere different to our usual places ??:-(

Veeeeeery strange indeedy.
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You may find that, having used polish on it once, you now have to do it regularly to stop it tarnishing ;)
  7. Di

Di Active Member

I use the Goddards foaming silver polish, excellent stuff, and as a good mama, I gives her horn quite regular washes.. In between cleans she rubs it down it a silver polish cloth. It's always been kept nice and shiny. This was just so totally out of the blue. Perfectly OK Sunday night. Never seen anything like it before. Just had to check it again this morning, but, nope, its still OK, nice n shiney. ;)
  8. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

I know that the prob is solved now anyway, but thought id add my say anyway. something similar happend to my horn not so long ago, but when i rubbed, the mark didnt go away. the laquer had proper come off. my teacher and other people say it was where the case rubbed the horn. but again, it happened over night, *and*, i discovered it on the day i was promoted above a few other ppl, up to solo horn in the county youth band.
  9. Di

Di Active Member

Aww how rotten for you. Did you have to have yours re-plated? More to the point, hope you didn't lose your promotion for being without a horn if you did have to send it away! :-(
  10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Probably something temporary then - a repairman using a solvent of some kind, or a cleaning agent that hadn't been used before in that location or that had been spilled so that it was in higher concentration.

At least you were able to polish it away.
  11. Incognito

Incognito Member