What's happened to the Navigation?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by centralbankofdad, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Remember that great pub where banders were welcome, food was great value, service friendly and general atmosphere pleasant?
    It's all gone! I went for lunch there today to find most of the banding pictures removed and was met with the most ill-mannered dragon behind the bar that it has ever been my misfortune to meet with.
    Needless to say I did not hang about.
    If you are in the Saddleworth area and fancy a pint or something to eat, I suggest that you avoid the Navigation like the plague:(

2. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Yes you are right she is a right dragon,I went in a week before whit friday, whilst out on a motorcycle ride,I mentioned that I was a brass bander and would be returning to the area for the contests and she went beserk, I have never met such a rude woman, she hated whit friday and brass bands, the beer was so bad I left it, I was going to nick something but there was nothing worth having.

3. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Ah well you see, that's yer problem straight off. Never put a dragon behind the bar. That whole flame-grilled-customer thing is so offputting. And my dear, the smell!

If she hates brass bands and Whit Friday so much WTF is she doing running a pub in Saddleworth? Some form of aversion therapy maybe?
    I say we all go there all at once next Whit. Get as many banders in there as possible, all in uniform, all with instruments playing as many different marches at once as we can.
    BMB
    xx

4. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Brilliant idea.....something like a bunch of ex matelots would do also!:clap: :clap: :tup

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Great idea BMB... but to add to this, we should all go there, wallets in hand, and then say... "hmmmm.... something in here smells, something in here isn't right... oh yes, it's that woman we've all heard about on tMP... come on folks... let's go to a warm and welcoming pub to spend our money!!"

Then leave!! :)

6. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

OK, that's the meeting point for 'tMP Whit Friday 2008' sorted then. Do they do accomodation???

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe Mr. Sparke should hand over a framed and signed copy of his march score dedicated to the pub to them as well ... and possibly Year Of The Dragon too! ;)

8. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

9. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Funnily enough, the Navi. still has Brass Band concerts most Sunday afternoons (Weather permitting) and they do food for the bands as well.
    I have never met said Dragon.
    Can you describe her?
    Is she a Norwegian Ridgeback? Hungarian Horntail? Welsh Green? Chinese Fireball?

10. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

She is blonde, slim, about 50 ish, and a psychopath, dont mention brass bands or your dead.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Saddleworth
    great value
    service friendly
    food
    great pub
  12. Hells Bones

I shall keep an eye out for her next time I'm up there.
    I'd actually look forward to her giving me some guff.
    I have this annoying habit of finding things like that funny.
    Has she ever met a bandsman who would laugh at her ranting do you think?

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If the above comments are correct, you had better take a friend called George (with a lance) as a witness. ;)

14. Hells Bones

What about his trusty steed?

15. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

I didn t stick around to laugh at her ranting, I prefer to look and chat up woman half her age.

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Bayard? Erm, use a mountain bike! :cool:

17. Hells Bones

Even so, Old Dragon Lady baiting is hilarious!

18. Hells Bones

Ok, I am off that way for a walk in a minute, and am in the kind of mood that leaves a short fuse.

Shall I go in and anounce myself a bander?

19. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Ever heard the phrase "do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with chilli dip"?
    Have this vision of two smoking boots sitting forlornly in the bar...
    If yer not back within 24 hours we'll send in the Pub Rescue Team, armed with pewter pint mugs, pipes and their own polypin of mild.
    BMB
    xx

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

nah! Tease her a little. Talk about how the pub looked before and ask about what's happened? Get the confession, corner her and then drop the penny (if the circumstances don't lead to singed facial hair!). Best of luck! Remember to take Ascalon with you!

21. David Mann

David Mann Member

I'm surprised the moderators haven't pulled this one. We do still have libel laws in this country don't we?
    Perhaps there's a publican's message board ( thebeertap.com? )where said lady has posted that she met a bander and thought they were a fat ugly geek.. would we like that?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Saddleworth
    great value
    service friendly
    food
    great pub