What would you miss?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Kerwintootle, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Being away from England for ten years and from Scotland for nearly two we do miss certain things.

What would you miss if you left the UK for an extended time.

Things I miss
    Cold Christmases
    The Pennines - when I went back to Huddersfield in September last year, crossing the Pennines brought a lump to my throat. It's lovely round there.
    British Wit and Sarcasm although Simon provides bucket loads of dry humour.(lol)
    Family
    Autumn - smell of bonfires, treacle toffee
    Black Dyke and the 'co
    Contest Banter (don't get much of that here as the contest goes on forever)
    Decent shops

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- fish suppers
    - our choice of draught real ale

3. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Here are a few of ours:

Family and friends
    band practice
    contests
    going to the chippy
    going into Manchester to the shops
    HMV
    Virgin (the music shop)!
    Hollands meat & potatoe pies and steak puddings!
    going to the Formby Hall
    cheap BACON
    having a coffee with my daughter
    mams breakfasts
    listening to records with Rach's dad (Pete Edge)

Think thats all, now you what we get upto when we come back to the UK on our holidays!

Cheers

4. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

When I lived in Gibraltar it was the silly little things tha tI missed, like being able to have a morning paper actuially first thing in the morning and not at midday.

I missed Boots the chemist and ASDA pizzas. I missed being able to watch Wimbledon play football and of course I missed band contests!

5. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

That special light of spring and autumn mornings
    Me mam
    The smell of fish and chips even though eating them makes me feel ill
    The sight of Durham Cathedral as you arrive at the Miner's Gala

6. Steve

Steve Active Member

There isn't anything I have ever missed when out of this country for a long time except friends. It's not a nice place :(

7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Not a nice place??? Which bits are you looking at?!?! We live on one of the most beautiful (and safest as far as weather conditions go) parts of the world, how can it not be nice???

I'd miss Yorkshire scenery...it's easy to take it for granted living in it as I do, but sometimes when I'm driving home from work, and the sun is out on the pennines, I can't imagine anywhere Id rather be at that moment. It's truly beautiful here.

8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I can honestly say, apart from my friends, I don't think I'd miss much. When I spent two and a half weeks in NZ with the band, I don't think I'd have come back if it wasn't for my friends still being here. Fantastic place. It was a bit like the UK, only better. Easier going, warmer, better scenery.... And some very good bands!!!!

Maybe fish and chips... and spam fritters... and my favourite B-road, the B6161 from Harrogate to Otley... but if I could take my bike, get a halfway average job and find a chair on a bass section I'd be happy pretty much anywhere if it were just me.

I'd miss my mates like crazy though. And persuading my girlfriend to leave Knottingley Silver and come with me wouldn't be easy!!!

9. englishgill

englishgill Member

I spent just over 3 years in Germany, apart from my family, I missed salt and vinegar crisps, prawn cocktail crisps, custard creams, ribena, bacon, baked beans the BBC and my brass band. I took one look at the local 'band' at the asparagus festival and decided I couldn't do that - my beer belly wasn't pronounced enough and I didn't have a moustache - oh yeah and I wasn't a man!!!

10. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I lived in Austria for 2 years and the thing I missed most was Marmite. And Cheddar cheese.
    BMB
    xx

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    Wit
    England
    Scotland
    Pennines
  12. HBB

HBB Active Member

Surprisingly they also go well together in a pitta!

13. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Proper bitter
    Sausages
    Cold Autumn/Winter days at Dunham Massey
    The walk aroud the Newlands Horseshoe in the Lake District
    Whit Friday

14. Jen

Jen New Member

When I spent 6 months in Greece the things I missed most (apart from the folks) were curries, proper news and the pennines. But the things I miss now about Greece go on and on and on!!

15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Real Ale
    English Beef(Got to say that been a Butcher)
    Contests
    My Own Band
    My mate(Heather) on 2nd Baritone(Formidable team we are)
    Liverpool Football Club

16. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

I spent last year in America and can honestly say I didn't miss a great deal about England. I was playing in band out there but I guess I must have missed brass bands and contests as I travelled 5000miles to come back and play with one of my old bands at Stevenage last March....absolute craziness on my part I think!!! Came home for about 6 days, was at one band or another every night I was home then flew back Monday morning after the contest on Sunday.
    Hmm what else, I think cadburys chocolate would have to be the only other thing, and of course my cat without a doubt!!!

17. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I would miss being able to just get in the car and drive up to the Eclipse workshop, in Luton - the chance to play instruments like that, within easy driving distance, is a great advantage of living in the UK.
    If you haven't already tried them - go there, say Mike sent you:biggrin:

18. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

When I lived out in Gibraltar I used to miss the shopping. there only had a marks and spences and a BHS. It used to make me laugh cos when Marks and Spencers used to have a sale the Gib people used to Q up waiting for M&S to open to get to all the bargins. When was the last time you saw that?? LOL

19. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Firstly it would have to be my family and friends, anylonger than a couple of weeks and i start to miss them, especially the girls.
    After that it would be my cats,
    A good cuppa Yorkshire tea,
    My fave shops, ie, Meadowhall!
    Having said that I have been getting twitchy to go travelling just lately, for some bizare reason, Japan seems to be appealing to me. Don't know if I'd have the guts to do it, but suppose this is the best time in life to do it, whilst i'm young, free and single!

20. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Manchester - Is the greatest place on earth!!
    Proper Beer (guinness is also good, but I need ales)
    Man City - need my fortnightly fix (summer is hell)
    My Mates - The Fellas from work, but mainly the geezas from Oldham!!
    My Job... its ace... cant believe they pay me to do it!!

21. tedmundo

tedmundo Member

Weetabix

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    Wit
    England
    Scotland
    Pennines