What would you have on your CD cover?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mesmerist, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

We have just done a CD recording and have now to decide/argue/toss a coin ect on the front cover art work (and then find a title - but we have a competition on for that one - one entrant has suggested "Verwood Concert blowing wind" so we have some work to do there as well). Personally I don`t like CD covers which have portrait photographs of the artist on the front cover. So what attracts you to pick up a CD in the first place and what would you choose for your band cover?
  2. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

You need to think outside the box Messy. The punters want something sexy, energetic and appealing to all ages, genders and orientations. Remember the Calendar Girls? I'm sure there are some wonderful full bodied specimens amongst the Verwood Bell Ringers Consort :wink:
    I would definately plan the design around Wetheralls finest! :D
  3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

There are one or two that might fit your description Steve and Mr Guiness would like it if we featured the wetherall attribute!
    I can`t see the Verwood target audience going for that though...
  4. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

MMM I see your point Mezz....
  5. bbg

bbg Member

Our CD a few years ago has a cover design of a close-up of a band jacket lapel, featuring pin badges from several of the countries toured as well as a sprig of white heather which has also been worn whilst overseas. The back / inside artwork is basically a close-up of the embroidered band badge from a jacket pocket. All done by one of our trombonists, who is a graphic designer by profession.
  6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Get a professional designer, if you can. Too many bands make a huge effort to raise the money, do loads of practice, make a good CD and then spoil the look of the finished product at the last minute by getting someone in the band who can use Paintshop Pro and Publisher to knock something together in 5 minutes.

(I work in the print industry and have 8 designers working for me, so I'm speaking from experience here!)

Seriously, if you have any contacts with decent pro designers, use them. Doyen have used a guy called Simion Baxter-Cox in Oldham a few times who is very good. He's also done some freelance work for my company so I might have his number somewhere if you want it.

What's on the CD? Is there any music with a snappy title that you could use as a title track and then base the artwork around that? Example: the 2 CDs I've been involved with recently were called "The Sword and the Star" and "The Box of Delights" after tracks on the actual discs, so the artwork was very much inspired by those titles. See KMJ's site for the former; the latter had a photoshop montage of pics of the band mixed with text and music in purple, with a gold ribbon "wrapped" round it.
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

That's what you need - a band member who's a pro designer and can do a freebie for you!! ;)

Loving the calendar girls idea though :clap:, might suggest that for our next CD and see what happens.....
  8. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

We're definitely going to need considerably bigger buns...
  9. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

strategically placed castanets?
  10. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I can see this turning into an Austin Powers type of thing with one of those rainwater things the percussionists use being strategically placed in front of someone like Mr B...
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

When we recorded our last CD with Dolce recordings we already had a title in mid - 'Llechen Las' - the tile of a commissioned piece that reflected the band's slate quarry origins. 'Llechen Las' roughly translates as 'Blue slate' - that's the only directive we gave the designer, who came up with a simple but effective cover (attached). My tip: get a few ideas together and let the designer come up with a number of alternatives. At the very least it'll give you a starting point.........sometimes thinking too much about it proves detrimental - give the designers a brief and the simplest designs may well prove to be the best options!

Attached Files:

13. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

^ love that cover.
  14. rikster

rikster New Member

I did suggest that we call our Cd the picture of which was suggested to show the coast and sand/pebbles "Lifes a beach" but people said that may be misinterpreted!
  15. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

How about a picture of Take That? Guaranteed sales!!!!;)
  16. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

yeah our euph player painted ours for us, good job too!
  17. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I think simple is best.

The cover for the CD we did a few years ago was just a photo of a BBb on the steps outside of the recording studio.

I think 4barsrest were more impressed with the cover/inlay than they were with the recording....;)

Attached Files:

18. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

A mate bought me for my 21st a Patrick Sheridan Tuba soloist CD. I was very impressed that on the cd cover he had his head covered in chocolate with cherries on top