What would you arrange?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MissRepiano, Jan 23, 2008.

1. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Perhap you should read up on the subject here: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19730

Everything MoominDave says is true, plus I would add that this site is frequented by several well-known composers/arrangers/publishers and members of the MPA. It's really not the best place to openly break the law ...

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

The tMP copyright fact sheet is a good place to start.

A relevant quote from it:
    Edit: Snap!

3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... where it clearly states "available for distribution only in the USA"

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

5. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

HYpothetically - If somebody downloads it in the USA then prints it off. If the score and parts are then lot by say being dropped in the street there (The person who printed them can easily print off another and so doesnt report it as missing) and is then subsequently picked up by a tourist and Brought back to the UK has the copyright law been broken? and who by?

6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... And how is that of any relevance to the original point, which is that falcons1988 appears to have openly admitted that he has made an illegal arrangement and is in violation of copyright law? If a carrier pigeon had picked it up and flown it across the Atlantic and deposited it in his back garden, it would still be illegal to pick it up and arrange it for brass band without a licence.

I have no axe to grind here; I don't make copyright law, and like MoominDave, I don't necessarily agree with all of it. Nevertheless it's still the law.

7. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Its not - I was just honestly wondering.

From your reply I assume that the illegality is the minute that it is played here.

It was the fact that it said for distribution in the USA that intigued me. As it hadnt actually been deliberatley distributed in the UK I was wondering where the offence would be?

Thanks for the answer.

:tup

8. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

It never ceases to amaze me how many times posters have to be referred to the Copyright FAQ.

9. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I tried the link posted by falcons1988 and was able to download only a sound file (no printed music). The file was not of the complete carol by Harold Darke and what I heard wasn't even faithful to the original. If I had anything to do with the estate of Harold Darke I'd make sure it was impounded immediately. This is an example of the need for copyright law!

10. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

we recorded that tune on an album called brass in concert. As I recall the fantastic original trombone solo by John Barber was blanked out and replaced by a overdub featuring Jiggs Wigham we never got a definitive reasons to why this happened.

http://www.4barsrest.com/shopping/cd_detail.asp?id=141

Id love to hear it to please.........BTW.....always loved this arrangement on the live at the Tropicana club album and wondered if it has potential..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS7FIjDA_xU

Ive got a contact to the band if you wanna ask to do it, very haunting tune..............