What would you arrange?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MissRepiano, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Eb master

Eb master Member

Because i got high - afroman

2. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

:) Did you arrange the 1st movement? It's all lush- have played the original on flute. Can imagine the flugel sounding gorgeous in the slow movements (not sure about the waltz, though!).

3. GordonH

GordonH Member

Somethings Gotten Hold of my Heart (as sung by Gene Pitney) as a soprano cornet and tenor horn or baritone duet like the version he did with Marc Almond...

4. TheFopp

TheFopp Member

I did the 4th Movement, the Waltz! It works very well but does give the flugel soloist something to get to grips with!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  5. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Thank you. I contacted Steve and he tells me it was a commision and therefore copyright restricted. He is, however, going to enquire about extending the copyright subject to Warner Bros approval so watch this space.

Tim

6. Errol

Errol Supporting Member

That's strange, because I actually bought the music from a trade stand at a contest (can't remember which one) a few years ago. If you require any further information send me a pm

John

7. euphoniums_rule

euphoniums_rule New Member

I did the whole of Symphonie Fantastique a few years ago, it was played by Grimethorpe at the Gala concert in Birmingham earlier this month.

I've done a few others lately, including Lefebure-Wely's Sortie in E flat (published by The Music Company), Berlioz Symphonie Funebre et Triomphale, Franck's Choral No 2 for organ and The Rondo from Brahms Serenade No 2.

8. cornishscot

cornishscot Member

[​IMG]NEW
    Bat Out of Hell
    The classic "Meat Loaf" number one hit, in it's entirety, arranged for brass band. [​IMG] Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad The classic "Meat Loaf" rock ballad and another hit, arranged for full brass band by Steven Booth.
    Both of the above items have already been done (by Steven Booth) - haven't played either yet so cannot comment on quality or anything but just thought that you might like to know all the same!

9. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Has anyone done a simple SATB arrangment of the Harold Darke version of In The Bleak Mid Winter? which could be slipped into the carol books. I much prefer it to the standard Gustav Holst setting.

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Trivia - I work with the owner of the copyright to that; he's one of our engineers. I'll ask him. I don't think it would be a copyright violation to just write out the parts separately in suitable keys though? Or would it?

On the subject of OUP, I also waited a very long time to get approval for something from them (a piece by Percy Whitlock) - and that was with a contact on the inside!

11. winterman

winterman Member

For me it has to be some of the soundtrack to The Pacific, love it!

12. falcons1988

falcons1988 New Member

I have it, I will certainly do one in a few minutes, if you give me your e-mail address, I will send it to you

13. falcons1988

falcons1988 New Member

14. falcons1988

falcons1988 New Member

15. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I have thought this for years, if only I had the skill!!! I would arrange the hymn tune All Through The Night in the cascading style similar to Cornet Carillon. I can hear it in my head but that's as far as it will get.

Also, the original Johnny Dankworth theme to The Avengers, used for the first season or two when Ian Hendry was in it.

Finally, something that's been done and probably lies somewhere in the bandroom at Grimethorpe is an arrangement of the movie theme from "The Big Country"; very nice. I had an LP with it on years ago. Might be a good one for Brass in Concert.

16. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Active Member

What are the copyright implications of this ? Harold Darke only died in 1976 so his music is still in copyright.

17. falcons1988

falcons1988 New Member

As I am not really selling it, I am not making any money off it so it doesn't really matter.

18. MoominDave

That's not the line that copyright law takes... A court would say that you are depriving the estate of income by making available for free something that is theirs, I'm sorry to have to say.

I sent the copyright holder (who I know personally) an email asking if such a thing exists, as I mentioned earlier in the thread - I'll pass on what he says.

19. falcons1988

falcons1988 New Member

I haven't deprived them of any money. Plus it is available online as a FREE SCORE, at www.cpdl.org

I haven't done a full blown arrangement, it is more of a transcription so it can be played by a brass band, I already have the score in a hymn book. IF it was a full Philip Wilby style arrangement of about 5 mins. And I was looking to sell it commercially then, yes I would need copyright permission.

20. MoominDave

Methinks you should read up on copyright law... Before you get sued by anyone for doing something similar... Copyright holders have more rights than you realise.

I'm not saying that this is a good thing - in fact, I think that modern copyright law gives too many rights to copyright holders - but it is how things work.

p.s. The 'depriving money' thing - a court would say that it is the copyright holder's right to decide whether or not to make a particular version available, and so by making the decision yourself, you have potentially deprived them of the income that they could have made from supplying the need themselves.