What was your first solo?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by vickyrowlands, Feb 15, 2008.

1. vickyrowlands

vickyrowlands New Member

I've just started playing iona and to be honest i'm making a bit of a mess of it whenever i play it with a band. I'm fine by myself!!!

Its not my first solo so i should be used to the band by now but it all seems to get in a bit of a mess although so did the first one to begin with!
    (my first solo with a band was misty a few years back and i've recently done it again.)

anyone else have these problems when rehersing with the band the first few times???
    especially if it when it was your first!
    what did you play for your first one??
  2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Th' Acrobat
  3. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Snap! Many moons ago now though he he! Played plenty more since then thankfully on bass trom not on tenor anymore!
  4. leisa

leisa Active Member

Mt first was with stockport schools band and it was the power of love on cornet, then my first with flixton was my love is like a red red rose and georgia on my mind
  5. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I've never had the opportunity to do one with a band but if I did it would be Lairg Muir from Hymn of the Highlands. It's just sitting on my shelf at home - lovely piece.

I've done lots of solos with piano and I find it hard because it proves just how much I don't count!
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's taken me to remember what I first played ... but in a solo contest it was Allan Street's 'Rondino', and with band either 'Alpine Echoes' (Basil Windsor) or 'Una voce poco fa' (Rossini arr. Fred Muscroft).
  7. kerrytoy

kerrytoy New Member

On My Own from Les Miserables, on tenor horn
  8. Robhibberd29

Lovely piece that Kerry.
  9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Never been a soloist playing (nearest I got was Londonderry Air auditioning for Bedfordshire Second County Youth Band - got in on the pity vote).

Did a solo in school assembly as a treble in the choir doing Morning has Broken. Went for the uber high note and it ended up with me unconscious on the floor, been a bass in spirit ever since.
  10. Robhibberd29

Hmm sounds like a sop moment there Daniel!
  11. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Two Imps (xylo). I did it from memory too, the MD prompted me to "have a go" about 3 weeks before a concert.
  12. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Was a great one for attention from the women. All the prettiest girls in the year were rushing up to me in a way they somehow hadn't been before (or since!) Oh well, such is life.
  13. barkingbari1

barkingbari1 New Member

My first was Drigo's Serenade on Baritone, last one was Blaydon Races on Euphonium, favourite has to be Song for Ina (Sparke)
  14. lilz

lilz Member

the rose...i was like12 or 13 hu knows? n did it at a contest 1st time in public at like solford or manchesta contest, cant remember, but got it on video :D
  15. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Vilia....60 years ago :D ;)
  16. andyp

andyp Active Member

I Don't Know How To Love Him....a fair while ago!
  17. Hmm let's see:

First band solo on Cornet - Solitaire (i think, it was too long ago!)
    First band solo on Flugel - Orange Juice
    First band solo on Horn - Over the Rainbow
  18. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

The Elephant. With the school band at Harrogate as a 13 year old nipper.
    My Mum loved it and still gets me to play it for her now and again!!
  19. Deltabrass

Deltabrass Member

Panis Angelicus on Tenor Trom.
    Wandrin' Star on Bass Trom.

And vocally, Any Dream Will Do as a 10 year old, which I only did because I thought singers got the best girlfriends!
  20. cornet1991

cornet1991 New Member

my first solo was mcarhtur park. Fairly easy solo but also reli easy to mess up. I hink i played that at harrogate flower show like 4 years ago. It was a good place to start.