What was your first rehearsal back like?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Jan 6, 2004.

?

First rehearsal back?

1. Good

80.6%
  2. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ugly

16.1%
  4. OK

3.2%
  1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'd imagine there are some who haven't had their first rehearsal of the year just yet but for those who have, what was it like? A band on top of their form after a Christmas spent practising solidly? OK, not too shabby? A collection of assorted fart noises and a performance when tuning of the world famous Variations on a Concert B Flat?

Croydon's was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting it to be awful, but we are somewhat bereft in the player department at the moment, so we kicked off with some unconducted 10 piece stuff and the ensemble and intonation was rather pleasing! Then went on to snippets of a full band work (Gordon Langford's Harmonious Variations on a Theme of Handel) which was remarkably well sight read by them (despite the missing parts). So all in all, I was pretty pleased, despite the lack of numbers. Hope all your first rehearsals are/were good too.

Cheers

2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

ps. In case my first post sounds a little immodest, bearing in mind I'm the band's conductor, I should (a) apologise if so and (b) make absolutely clear that the reason it was a good rehearsal was the players themsleves and not me!

3. cornydevil

cornydevil Member

Our first rehearsal back was ok, we spent the entire rehearsal playing Coventry Variations for the area (it was our first proper look at it).
    Having spent the two week christmas break getting my lip in for moving onto solo horn (from cornet), i found out the flugel player was retiring, and i am now the flugel player! :)

4. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Terrible. The band sounded OK, but as I said in another post, I've changed mouthpiece over the holidays. Despite having practiced every day (yes including Christmas morning) I sounded absolute garbage. Depressing!

5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

well, it was definitely interesting...

6. timbloke

timbloke Member

Had a great rehearsal. good full turn out. played through The Bombasto for the first time (since the CiN Event) and i think the band really liked it. Cheers Roger.

Then played through Mission Impossible and Tubby the Tuba and finished off with Coventry Variations. All sounded a bit rough but as though with a bit of work they'll be very good. Pity it was the possible the last rehearsal with our MD. But'll ensure that whoever his replacement won't have to work too hard to get a good bit of success.

7. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Must admit i wasn't looking forward to it but went better than I expected. We have temporarily moved band room whilst ours is being done up. Everything sounds really loud but it might be something to do with the pieces we got out:
    The force of Destiny, Peterloo Overture, Benvenuto Cellini and of course a blow through Tristian Encounters.

I'm sure that everyone in the pub below where we are rehearsing must be enjoying the music, cos by the end of the evening the music from the jukebox was thumping through the ceiling (only fair I guess). :x

I think that if there were some wrong notes played it was due to the lack of visibility from the naff lighting system (two 60w bulbs at each end of the room)! :?

8. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Took first rehearsal of the year at Newlands last night, and was pleasently surprised at the level they were playing at. Not quite at full strength, (We were down a few of the inner parts) but had a bit of sightreading with the Golden Lady, and spent the rest of the night on Partita.
    I must admit, I didn't think we would get past the first movement first practice back, but the band has really been looking at their parts, and the sounds and styles were very pleasing.

Hopefully this will carry on to the Scottish and forward to Germany in July!!

Will give you all a Broxburn Public first rehearsal profile on Thursday :D

9. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I'll tell you tomorrow!

10. leisa

leisa Active Member

mmm can say that again :? :? :cry: :cry:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    rehearsal
    Moi
    Negative
  12. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I'm not sure if Emley started yesterday or tomorrow ... either way, I'm sure it was OK ... just about ... :)

I don't return to Uni till Sunday so until then rehearsals are a little difficult.

13. Stewart

Stewart Member

Our first rehearsal back was... cancelled! Central heating in the bandroom packed up over christmas, still waiting to find out if it'll be fixed at all this week :(

14. Steve

Steve Active Member

Having spent the last two weeks drunk, living with half the band at the conductors house I know exactly how much practice everyone has done so tonights rehearsal should be a cracker!!!!! :? I cant wait

15. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

It will be fabulous i'm sure (Melvin and I are going to practice now)

Vizcaya.... it already feels like a body part!

16. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

What an exuse! :roll: :p

17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I wish it did for me too! Not enough players to enter the contest! Just when there's a piece that comes along that I really like. Here endeth another quotation from the Law According To Sod. :-(

18. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

What we need is something along the lines of rent-a-friend/pet/
    child/boyfriend/girlfriend/family
    but rent-a-bander to fill those banding gaps....I think it would work (if anyone does this can I have 50% of all profits please)

19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

So you want 50% of all profits. Here goes:

All pr

:) :)

20. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

'tis the first rehearsal for the uni concert band tonight.
    No idea what it's going to sound like nad how many people are going to turn up due to exam/coursework pressue.

Anyway, will wait and see (and hopefully get my Euph valves working agian :?)

21. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Don't be so negative, i can feel a good idea!Just wait the money will start rolling in soon :shock:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    rehearsal
    Moi
    Negative