What was the bloke thinking when he ate.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by WoodenFlugel, Sep 10, 2004.

1. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

As this is my 1000th post :)bounce) I wanted to do something notable but wasn't sure what...

Then it hit me like a speeding train as I prepared my lunch this morning......

What was the bloke that first ate cheese thinking of??

Think about it for a moment - cheese is nothing more than well rotted milk. So there must've been someone (I'm guessing a male, probably a student) that had a pint of milk, left on the side, out of the fridge that had gone through the early stages of rot. But no! Our hero doesn't throw it down the sink like the rest of us would do. He waits and he waits (cue Guiness ad music) until the milk is not only well off but has now gone solid and probably a bit smelly and then he decides (probably after a few beers).....

"hmm what a tasty morsal I shall eat that pint of milk that has festered on my worktop for the last 6 months!!!!"

So I submit the question "what was he thinking of?"

This person, whoever he may be (lets call him Mr Cheddar) was a major pioneer of food technology (after all Britain would be a lesser country without cheese and onion sandwiches) so I salute you Mr Cheddar!!

And I now throw this thread open so that we can salute the pioneers of other unlikely delicacies.

...But the bloke that invented Stilton was just plain wrong......

edit: sorted my dodgy spelling...
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

[boc]That'll be Guaglione then[/boc]

Congrats on your 1000th post then Mr. H. May there be 1000 more just like this one...

(did I really say that?)
  3. Despot

Despot Member

Probably, "God, I'm really hungry, I'll try that!"
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

now that is a good post :) hope the 2000th is just as interesting ;-)
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yeah... good post Ian. I think you have set a new prescedent here.

Announcement: New tMP Rule
    Everyone's 1000th post must be a good 'un... ;)
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Thanks John.....the cheque's in the post ;)
  7. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Life without cheese....a terrifying thought!
    What would we call the genre of music commonly found in the cheese category, if cheese wasn't around?!
    Good post! Congratulations on the big 1000:)
  8. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

congrats on the big 1000 dude, and what a great post to do it to!
    :metal: :woo :woo :woo :woo :metal:
  9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations on the 1000th post Ian!! And a good post it is too.

I feel i must add to it then...

imagine (lets call him Mr. Mouldscoffer for arguments sake) taking a stroll through a field one day when suddenly he's struck by the thought
    "blimey, look at that strange looking growth of mould that has sprouted from that rotting vegetation and animal excrement...i wonder what it tastes like?...Hmmmmm, quite nice, I'll call it a mushroom!"

What on earth was he thinking?!?!? And having found it wasn't poisenous what in gods name encouraged him to try another???
    Mushrooms, surely the work of satan himself. :eek:
  10. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

What about the onion discoverer.
    Peeled the thing, it made him weep like a small child, and he STILL ate it.
    Full marks for perseverance.

Well done on the 1k!
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

And the banana - who discovered that underneath the bitter skin there was something very different?
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  12. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

How about eggy music if cheese wasn't around?
  13. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Or what about Messieur Escoffier

" Ooooo Mon dieu , I am starving , I will eet zat little Snail , MMMMMmmm le yummy , Garlic Burre zat is a breeliant idea"
  14. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

surely the guy who first ate an egg...

"See that chicken? Next thing to come out of it's back side, I'm going to eat..."
    or even
    "See that cow? Think I might squeeze it's nipples and drink whatever comes out..."

and these people made us what we are today???
  15. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

What about the bloke who created sweetbreads? He must have done it for a bet, surely?
  16. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

and just how exactly did anyone manage to come up with beer?

(inspired as it was...)
  17. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

:) thank goodness the geezer who invented Marmite liked the taste!:shock:
  18. jambo

jambo Member

Ace thread.

However, the introduction to such unsavourary looking introductions to the menu such as snails beg the question WHY!?

I admit, with lashings of garlic butter and loadsa wine, in France after a day on the plonk they're quite nice but...do you think our token frenchie was out hunting one day chasing...I don't know, a horse for dinner, gave up, stopped for breath and low and behold crawling past him on a rock was a snail...so he ate it as it couldnt get away...!

Come on...he must have been starving!
  19. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

No, he was nuts!!
  20. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I've just had a thought... Ian, are we assuming that it must have been a guy who decided to try the mouldy stuff because he was stupid enough to eat it or because he was lucky enough that it didn't kill him and thus it must have been a man because he was a genius. Or are we just being sexist? (Or am I just being sexist?). Will we ever know?

Next amazing instalment in "Flugelgal Has Finally Lost the Plot (Apparently)"will be at the same time next week....