What was the 1st piece you conducted?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by imthemaddude, Feb 24, 2008.

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Following on from the thread what was your first solo, what was the 1st piece you conducted?

For me it was Sky Boat Song I think about ten years ago with the junior band.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2008
  2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Dvorak: Slavonic Dance in g minor (can't remember the number), as my audition for conducting the Nottingham University Student Sinfonia.
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I can't remember precisely, but the first one I remember doing some in depth work on at Harlow Brass was Pineapple Poll.
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Silent night!
  5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

probably Lloyd (no 43!!)
  6. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

First piece I prepared properly....Isaiah 40...then St.Magnus....and Contest Music....with the excellent Reg Vardy Band....all a real challenge.....for Ray Farr's Conducting course at Durham University.

Back in the real world, the conducting has got simpler, but preparing/rehearsing bands for contests is still a constant challenge.

7. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

That Denis Wright was it a Septet he did, quite a few years ago now!!
  8. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Begin at the Beguine
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Ray Steadman-Allen's march "The Scarlet Jersey", filling in as Band Sergeant when the Bandmaster was delayed on practice night ;)
  10. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Barnard Castle by Goff Richards. It was in January 1996 with KFUM-spejdernes Brass Band. That was the good old day :) and now 400 concerts later... Hmm. The Latest piece was Reunion & Finale..
  11. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Me too.... Filling in. (Not the scarlet jersey though!) The band called me " wax on, wax off". I didnt know that if the man in the middle dont show, the top man puts out!
    My proper full on debut is with my little ensemble that has only been playing for 12 month, Milnrow Parish School. I loved it and know i will do much more. (I'm not a teacher, i just helped out)The kids faces were fantastic and i loved every minute. I felt like i was putting something back into this fantastic movement... The movement that has made me mix with people that have shaped me into the person i am. :clap: Conducting those kids has opened up a door in my mind!
  12. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Sight read Padstow Lifeboat on a tuesday morning in front of Dave King...absolutely ****ing myself, hence lots of loud "foghorn" shouting at the baritones and euphoniums :D...happy days!
  13. think the 1st piece i conducted at my college course was saddleworth festival, i'd done a couple of little pieces on rare occasions in the hebden bridge junior band, but if your meaning like a test piece then that would probably be it
  14. Blagger

Blagger Member

Finale to the Empire strikes back - arr. me ;)
    First real piece would have been dimensions at college
  15. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

I started my conducting career since September 2007. Im the deputy bandmaster of a junior band and the first song I conducted was 'Happy People' arranged by Thomas Mack.
  16. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

Think it was ellers when the conductor was running late. First serious work would probably be First Suite in Eb.
  17. HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter Member

Pretty sure it was a medley from West Side Story with the University Wind Band back in the '80s. First brass band piece was probably "Someone to Watch Over Me" with Bestwood, on a rare occasion when Brian couldn't make a rehearsal and a few of us took turns in conducting!
  18. Deep harmony!
  19. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

A Wind Quintet piece called "Mozart Divermento" when I was 13... I can't remember what it quoted, but I remember it was pants!

First brass band piece I conducted was "Frontier" in a Bon-Accord Silver Band rehearsal at 16... Talk about being thrown in the deep end!!
  20. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

The end of Disney Fantasy, As part of a concert, three members of the band dressed up as gorrilas for the 'king of the swinger zone' bit.
    I stole the conductors baton, made him conduct with a banana and stood behind him mimicking his conducting. Then he walked off stage leaving me there conducting the band. couldn't turn pages with the gorilla suit on, tried to look at the flugel players part and got an "Eff off" for my trouble (Thanks Flugtastic! :biggrin: :tup ) and had to conduct the ending from memory of what my part went like!