What type of youth band did you play with?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Parper, Dec 31, 2006.

Which type of youth band did you play in?

1. School band

56 vote(s)
  2. Music Service/Authority band

42 vote(s)
  3. Community band (no links)

25 vote(s)
  4. Feeder or 'B' band (linked to an adult band)

42 vote(s)
  5. Other (please state in a post)

13 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Parper

Parper New Member

Hi there,

I'm in the middle of doing some research into various types of youth bands. I'm trying to get a feel for which (if any) are more sucessful in producing players that feed through into the banding movemnet.

The main type of organisations I'm looking at are

The school band
    The Music Centre/ Authority Band
    Community band (no links)
    Feeder or 'B' band (linked to adult band eg. Sellars Youth or Besses Boys)

I'd be most thankful for your help or any comments on the subject

2. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

Hmm ... I played with Poynton Youth for over 10 years. Originally it was linked with Poynton (Vernon) band, but by the time i joined, the bands were separate organisations. So I guess we fitted into the 'community band' section.
  3. NeilW

NeilW Member

County Youth Band (Hampshire!)

The band actually was pretty much self funding - lots of jobs - and we competed in regular adult competitions (in the Championship section in my day :clap: )

(Many, many years ago....)

4. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

ooh, forgot about county bands! I also played with Cheshire Youth, although my 'main' youth band was Poynton, who I played with right from the first few weeks of learning
  5. dikkezeug

dikkezeug New Member

Back in Haarlem, Holland there used to be various youth bands available through which you could progress as you got older at the local Music school. That is how I got nailed to play Bflat Bass and from there I progressed into a higher standard windband. Only because my dad used to play in there and the Musical director at the time (Late Simon Butter) had a remarkable way of motivating young people to play music causing me to get stuck onto bass.
    I suppose though that especially here in the UK when costs have to be cut, Music facilities are sadly usually the first to put an axe into. I suppose nowadays the brassband movement is very dependant on the feed through from their own training bands to keep the motivation and the movement going.

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I played for probably the best Junior band in the West Midlands from 1975-1979;
    Walsall Metropolitan Junior Band who every time went to a contest were always in the prizes becoming West Midlands Ensemble Junior Champions in 1977,1978.
    Many 1st prizes at local music festivals to many to mention.
    These were great days for me as a younger player and got promoted to senior band on 2nd Baritone in 1977 and in my first contest i
    A day i will never forget;)

Edit: Excessive amount of smiles removed!
  7. Hebden Bridge Junior Band for 10 years
  8. ex band-muppet

ex band-muppet New Member

Southport Youth Band in my case, an independent outfit, now a local authority initiative for all instruments. It's where I got my <ahem> well balanced approach to music...yeah
  9. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

I play in four Youth Bands.
    -My School Brass Band which competes once a year in a local youth band contest as well as taking part in the National Festival of Music for Youth.
    -Newport Music Centre Brass Band which is run by the local music support service. We have consistently well in the National Festival of Music for Youth.
    -Greater Gwent Youth Brass Band which is run by the county music support service. Gwent takes part in the National Youth Brass Band Championships of Great Britian and the British Youth Open. We also compete in the National Festival of Music for Youth.
    -I also occaisionally help out my band's junior band which enters a local youth band contest one a year.
  10. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I played in Royal Buckley Town Junior Band for 10 years whilst also playing for the senior band. Also Clwyd County Youth Band and the National Youth Brass Band of Great Britain.
  11. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I played for Ash Green High School Band which was a feeder band for City of Coventry 'B' which was then the feeder band for City of Coventry.Albert Chappell conducted all three bands.He was also my music teacher at shool.That was back in the 60's.
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

One possible gap in your poll is the absence of any Salvation Army youth band activities. I played in the South London Divisional Youth Band under Maurice Cooper, and there will no doubt be many who learnt to pay in various Young People's Bands.
  13. vonny

vonny Member

Very true Peter! I played with the Rochdale YP band for 3 years then played with the Rochdale Metropolitan Youth band.
  14. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

It was just a youth band there wasn't an adult one but it had a learner group that I started in. So would that be community band???
  15. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I played for Stockport Schools. It is an Authority Band and at the time I was involved there area bands for beginners - I played for East Area, then moved on to Stockport Schools Intermediate and finally onto the Senior band. It produced some very good players such as Craig Bennett, Ross Davies and Tony Wyatt. I left in 1993 and many players I was with still play today.
  16. i played with denton brass' juniour band for a rehersal then got invited to the senior band! = )
  17. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Just good old Boldon School band for me
  18. englishgill

englishgill Member

I played at Poynton Youth and Stockport Schools from when I learned to play in about 1985 til I left to go to University in 1992. It was a fabulous way to play music and meet loads of other players from the local area. This forum shows that there are still a few people around active in banding who played in either/both of these bands which is fantastic. Think there's a PYB reunion concert planned in July this year so it will be good to see if any tMPers turn up!
  19. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Was many years ago but the full list was......
    Beaumaris Youth Band
    David Hughes School Band
    Menai Bridge youth
    Anglesey area band
    Gwynedd youth Brass Band
    National Youth Band of Wales
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  20. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I played in the school band, but keep in mind it was a wind band.