What Trumpet??????

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by New Trumpet Boy, Jun 15, 2007.

1. New Trumpet Boy

New Trumpet Boy New Member

I'm thinking of taking up playing the Trumpet to do Shows and Dance Band type of gigs. I haven't the first clue about what Trumpet's are available and mouthpieces to chose from. I have played in Brass Bands all my life and just want a change of direction. It's either this or to start a career as a Musical Director.

I've looked on various websites and would spend up to £450 on a new instrument. All the websites are informative but I need some advice from members who have recently purchased a new trumpet.

Yahama website seems good but there's such a variety and I don't know what's a good buy or not.

I don't want to spend too much at this stage.

your suggestions please!!!!!!!!!

2. Bradderz!!!

Bradderz!!! New Member

Hiya,

I currently play a Yamaha YTR-4335 which is a good quality instrument and is in the mid range of Yamaha's models. I play in Big Bands and and Jazz combos and its great for me. The RRP is £499 but your best bet is to look on ebay, I got mine, brand new, well used once! and it was only £300 including gig bag, case etc... Theres more ranges on there, but this model is certainly a great starting point and I have had no problems and have enjoyed playing this instrument for the past 3 years. Hope this helps and gives you a kinda idea on what to get, I would definately recommend it!

3. New Trumpet Boy

New Trumpet Boy New Member

4. joelrn

joelrn Member

for £450 you might be lucky enough to ge a second hand 'olds' trumpet. They're perfect for that type of thing, and much better than anything you'd get new.

as far as mouthpieces go it probably depends what you play on the cornet. Vincent Bach's are a safe bet though. Schike's are also good around 16-19 cup.

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Olds can be excellent, but there are a large number of models out there and a HUGE number of instruments being sold with a description that far exceeds the accuracy of the instrument.

There are also a VAST number of apparently good value instruments being sold by many shops at the moment. I have seen a great deal of these instrument and have yet to see any that I would recommend to anybody who would wish to use it at a decent level - they look pretty, they work well for a week or two, but they haven't yet established that they have a consistent long standing record.

For my money, the Yamaha YTR 4335G is THE finest instrument you can find for that sort of money (unless you can find a good condition YTR 6335 second hand). I know of a number of professional players who have a 4335G as their back up instrument, in case their main weapon is taken out of action.