What to choose? Any help?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lone_euph, Apr 26, 2007.

1. lone_euph

lone_euph New Member

To get to the point.. well sortof: I have been told to change from abrsm to trinity and I'm now finding it hard to choose what to get out the syllabus (grade 7). Living in South Africa does not make the music all that accessible either - ordering it over net and getting it posted (thats another problem altogether)

My options:
    Group A:

Capuzzi Rondo from Andante and Rondo (from Concerto for Double Bass)
    Curnow Rhapsody for Euphonium
    Marcello Sonata in F major, 1st movt: Largo and 2nd movt: Allegro
    Moszkowski Danza Alegre (from Fiesta Española for Trumpet)

Newton The Riders of Rohan (from Childs’ Choice)

Richards Midnight Euphonium
    Senaillé Introduction and Allegro Spiritoso [complete]​

I was thinking of Midnight Euphonium but I don't know the rest of the pieces (excl midnight Euph and Rhapsody for Euph).​

Group B:​

I already have a piece so no problems here.​

Group C:​

Arban Study no. 10 (from 14 Studies for Cornet)
    J S Bach Study no. 2 in C minor or Study no. 17 in Ab
    (from The Well Tempered Player)
    Balay Study no. 3 or Study no. 4 (from Quinze Etudes)
    Bourgeois Fantasy Pieces for Trumpet, no. 3: Presto
    Brandt Study no. 2 or Study no. 17 (from 34 Studies for Trumpet)
    Court The Chase (from New Concert Studies for Euphonium vol. 2)​
    Hering Study no. 38 or Study no. 39 (from 40 Progressive Etudes for Trumpet)
    Mashima A Spring Morning (from New Concert Studies for Euphonium vol. 1)
    McKenzie Klezmer or Malaguena (from Rhythms of Life)
    Miller Seventh Heaven, no. 59 or Vienna, no. 62
    (from 68 Graded Studies for Brass book 2)
    Vizzutti Funk (from 20 Dances for Euphonium)

I have not a clue on these and unfortunately being studies they aren't exactly.. memorable. All I know is that I should avoid the study murder weapon - the Arban :eek: .

Any suggestions would be very very welcome - even if it is a suggestion of avoiding something.
    Thanks for reading (and hopefully responding :p).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Moszkowski Danza Alegre
    South Africa
    Vizzutti Funk
    Capuzzi Rondo
    LEFT
  3. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Have you been told why you should change to Trinity? I'm not a huge fan of the Trinity silabus and would advise most people to stick to AB.

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I've played a few of these in my previous incarnation as a euph player. The Intro and Allegro is a nice piece. Really quite easy if you know Bb minor (or C minor in brass band pitch). There's a slow section to show off your lyrical qualities and a the faster semiquaver section can display your technical prowess!

The James Curnow piece is nice and, again, quite easy to play and quite effective. Similar to the Senaille, it has a slow lyrical introduction and the main body of the piece is in a quicker dance-like mood. The only bit I found hard (well, I was sixteen!) was the chromatic section halfway down the second page.

I don't know too many of the studies, as I stopped taking the euphonium seriously 15 years ago! I think the best bet would be the Arban. My main reasons for this would be thinking of the future. The Arban method is a sound investment for any valved brass player and will never be out of use. It's quite good for trombone technique, too!

Hope I've helped. PM me if you have any more queries.

Oh, by the way, WELCOME TO THE MOUTHPIECE!

5. lone_euph

lone_euph New Member

I been told to change because of new government system wanting to have one examining body to avoid non-existant conflict (fuss over nothing if you ask me) and they have chosen trinity - Why i dont know.

Thanks for advice Bass Trumpet. I will have a proper look at the arban study - I think I might be able to locate an arban (varsity sheetmusic library has nothing). Ill try find some preview recordings of the intro and allegro (found curnow and midnight euph) on the net. Thanks for help - Its much appreciated!

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The Senaillé "Introduction and Allegro Spiritoso" was originally written for bassoon, and you may find bassoon recordings around as well as those on brass.

7. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

From list C, the "best" pieces in the list are from the Well-Tempered Player IMO.

From List A, Rhapsody for Euphonium (Curnow) is a nice enough piece, and has contrasting sections. It is also one of the easier pieces on the list (whether that would influence your decision of not ...). If you want something sightly different though, I enjoyed playing the Rider's of Rohan. It's another contrasting piece (Slow section A flollowed by fast section B) and in my opinion is a lot of fun. But also a little unusual in the harmony. (sorry I can't really elaborate any more!).

8. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

I can thoroughly recommend the Curnow Rhapsody as well, which I played for my Grade 7. Word of advice if you go for it is to make very sure you are in tune before you start, because the opening is unaccompanied. It is also a good test of bottle to start the exam with it... :eek:

9. The Curnow Rhapsody for euph is a good choice, midnight euphonium is a good one to show off lyrical playing, although i find it a bit of a lip bender! As for studies, you can't usually go wrong with the arban

10. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I would say Rhapsody for Euph from list A and the Vizzutti Funk from list C - the vizzutti book is great and the studies are memorable!

All the best with the exam

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

-what does your teacher recommend??? ... he/she would know more about your sound & playing style (as well as your strengths and weaknesses).

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Moszkowski Danza Alegre
    South Africa
    Vizzutti Funk
    Capuzzi Rondo
    LEFT
  13. lone_euph

lone_euph New Member

My teacher (jazz trombone and valve trombone) suggested the curnow or the midnight euph and said the introduction and allegro spiritoso is great piece but I'd struggle on the allegro section. He suggested against the moszkowski. For list c he said he wasnt sure what to suggest because he doesnt know them.

I have a rich sound but struggle when it comes to fast passages (blur the notes). Strange intervals (eg. aug 4th etc) are fine.

Thanks to everyone for the help! Have managed to locate an arban - will see it on Monday. I'll try get the Midnight Euph and hopefully persuade them for a discount if I get the Curnow as well (Got to get the 2 books which have the lip flex exercises in them).

Thanks again.

14. lone_euph

lone_euph New Member

Edit: Just checked and the Midnight Euph is _3.75 (_ means the pound sign - I dont have one on my keyboard) Any piece of music is worth getting at that price. :)

Sorry for double post - Just missed the Edit time

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  15. Jay

Jay Member

I would advise sticking to abrsm. I've been teaching used the Trinity syllabus for four years, since I was 14, and although Trinity used to be very good, its just changed to Trinity Guildhall. Guildhall is THE worst exam board to use and now it's joined with Trinity the pieces are far less interesting, pieces from lower grades have been moved onto higher grades and the aural work has been dumbed down INCREDIBLY.

If you want the easy option then by all means switch to Trinity Guildhall. But because of this most people I know prefer ABRSM - if someone says to me they have a grade 8 ABRSM I'm always more impressed than if they have grade 8 Trinity Guildhall.

16. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I'd have to disagree with you I'm afraid Jay. There is no way that Trinity Guildhall is easier than ABRSM when a large number of the pieces on the TG syllabus are on the ABRSM syllabus but a grade lower (TG is a grade lower than ABRSM that is). For example, trumpet/cornet G6 TG Dance Macabre by Gregson = G7 on ABRSM lists, trombone G6 TG Dances with Bears by Jim Parker, Fantasy for trombone by James Curnow and Prelude by in Ab Major by Bach all = G7 ABRSM. Surely, then that means that in fact, the pieces, if nothing else are actually HARDER for TG than ABRSM and that they aren't that dull/boring/awful/unpopular etc as they are already on the ABRSM lists!

I also wouldn't say that the aural test have been dumbed down - they are just more focused on the musician than ABRSM. Good to remember too that TG do seem to appreciate the requirements of being a brass player - they have a lip fliexibility exercise as part of the compulsorary technical work, unlike ABRSM.

I teach both boards to my students and have been surprised at the number of students who have elected to do TG as they find them far more appealing than ABRSM.

Finally, both boards carry university entry points for the higher grades and a quick look at the marks awarded for each board/grade will tell you that the QCA regard them equally.

Anyway, to go back to the original post, £3.75 for Midnight Euph sounds to good to resist! Go for it.

17. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

A little digression here, but what has actually changed from the old Guildhall exams now that they're Trinity Guildhall? I did all my grades on Guildhall, but as a teacher I use ABRSM. I have found the main difference between them is that Guildhall use lip flexibilities, and that some of the pieces on their syllabus are graded lower than ABRSM. This would of course make people assume that ABRSM is easier, but Guildhall had lower pass marks.

So overall I'd rate them them the same. But I've never had a clue about Trinity, whence why it intrigues me.