What to charge?!?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tom-King, May 10, 2006.

1. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Hi,
    (have to keep this short as its late and ive got school tommorow)

Have been asked to play the last post at a funeral on Friday (British legion members)...
    This isnt a problem.. HOWEVER! Ive been asked what I would charge and i dont have a clue :-? Its not anyone i know so i wouldnt want to do it for free as I have got to give up about an hour and a half... On the other hand i dont want to overcharge them..
    Any Ideas? (The lady is getting back to me tomorrow afternoon so this is kind of urgent)

Thanks
    Tom
    :)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    Tom
    ive
    funeral
    Friday
  3. Blower

Blower Member

Not a difficult answer... you don't charge anything, you do it out of respect for who ever it is that has sadly passed away no matter if you know them or not! If the family then want to give you something after for it pass it back to your band.

Surely that's what we're all about?!

4. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Member

Hmmm!....... I wander if the funeral Directors, Florist and Caterers are doing it without charge ("out of respect")???

5. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Hmmmm - here's another one, £25.

6. Blower

Blower Member

You're having a laugh, that is their job (not a nice one but then someone has to) we're better than that! Aren't we? Hmmm, maybe we're not!

7. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Member

But Tom would be providing a service, just like the others. I don't see what the problem is!?.
    That would be a interesting POLL, "How many of you would expect someone you don't know to turn up at your funeral and play for nothing"
    I know this is a touchy subject, but i can't help feeling that you are digging yourself a big hole here.
    By the way, I do have the deepest sympathy for anyone that has lost a family member (as i have very recently)

8. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Personally I wouldn't charge, but I would say they could make a donation to the band if they wanted to.

9. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

The fact is that they have actually asked him how much his services will cost, so they are obviously expecting to pay. Therefore I can't see any problems with Tom charging a small fee for his time and service. Personally Tom I would suggest somewhere between £10 - £15.

;)

10. cornetblower

cornetblower Member

Somthing around £10 seems right to me Tom.

Heather

11. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

If you do it free you may get a phone call every time a Bristish Legion member dies!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    Tom
    ive
    funeral
    Friday
  13. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

What about travelling expenses,depending on how far you have to travel?I have played The Last Post and Reveille at many funerals over the years and even worn ceremonial uniform.I ask for a fee of around £50 because I have to take time off work to play.I also play it on a bugle not cornet.
    Richard....CubbRep..Ex Drum Major Royal Regt of Fusiliers.

14. Harold.Wells

Harold.Wells Active Member

I know that it's not quite the same, but I play the bagpipes at weddings occasionally.

There are similarities though, in that I don't usually know anyone there - I am being "employed to provide a service" and I am asked in advance what the fee will be.

Although playing time is usually only about 5 minutes from when the bridal car comes into sight until she is ready to "go in", then maybe a further 2 minutes to "play her in", the accepted "going rate" is between £50 and £100 depending on how far you have to travel for the "job".

15. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Harold do you also find that not knowing anyone initially puts a lot of pressure on you to do a good job.And,also Funerals are always mid-week and at some out of the way places.I have driven over 100 miles to play and obviously charged accordingly,to find the church/crematorium is way out in the country side at some obscure place that you have never even heard of.
    CUBBrep

16. Harold.Wells

Harold.Wells Active Member

I've not noticed any more pressure doing a job when I don't know anyone there, in fact it's probably the opposite.

Ok, on a purely fee-paying job you still want to do your professional best, but when you're playing at a friend's wedding as a "favour", you're wanting to do your best so as not to let your friend down.

17. brittm

brittm Member

For me it's about Khama, I tend to charge either a propper fee or none at all. Taking a tenner or so in the church yard won't pay the mortgage and I'd probably rather feel like a nice sort of bloke for the rest of the day.

Martin Britt
    Sop, Desford

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think I'd be inclined to try to find out what the organist's fee for a funeral is these days, and then add any necessary expenses. I presume it is laid down somewhere, just as the officiating minister's fee is. Whether you keep that fee personally or pass it on to the band etc would be down to you.

I think there is a strong case for establishing the principle that such a service does cost money. Does anyone know what the current Forces policy is if a bugler or trumpeter attends a funeral?

19. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

The organists fee would be about 100 quid I believe, so probably not a useful indicator in this instance. I think charging £10 -£20 would be reasonable. After all, you are putting yourself out for them by rearranging your day. Good luck!

20. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I don't really have a problem with the idea of charging a small amount for your services however...
    If you're at school you are obviously not a professional musician and will have not offered your services out... so how did you come to be asked? surely you have some sort of connection here even if you do not personally know the person asking?
    If you're not at a financial detriment through helping here then I personally think you'd be happier doing it for free.
    This is not your job and although I wouldn't criticise you for taking money I do think you'd benefit from keeping your love of playing seperate from a source of income - often becoming a chore!!?

Good luck though, and play well....

21. stotty74

stotty74 Member

Personally, i have never actually charged for playing at funerals, but a fee has always been offered. It is up to you if you want to or not. Nobody expects any goods or services to be provided for free.
    They obviously expect to pay a fee for your services. In the past when i have been asked, i have been offered £50. I have usually just asked for expenses to cover petrol, or asked for a donation to be made to the band. But that is my choice.

I think a fee of anything between £20-£50 is reasonable.

22. xemmax

xemmax Member

ive never charged but ive only done it a few times when i was 13/14.
    if they want to pay you then let them, you cant not really. can you?!?