What the Adjudicators say about you

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Masterblaster jnr, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

What's been the most interesting (good or bad) Comment an adjudicator has given you. To start, at a solo contest, an open adjudicator wrote 2 sentences about the top i was wearing etc........:sup
  2. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Ray Farr once said : Stylish Soprano and gave me the Sop proze at Lewisham whereas Don Morrison wrote: Oh Dear, Hard Luck sop on my Aylesbury performance.

My favourite comment is Alan Morrison who wrote the result of the West Ham v Middlesborough score at the bottom of the remarks after I cracked a joke about boro in an entertainment contest!
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

My username says it all...

From an adjudicator and occasional arranger who shares a surname with a prolific test piece writer. ;)
  4. flugelman

flugelman Member

Mine was very similar. After an awful valve sticking episode during a solo part at the Rhyll entertainment contest the bloke in the box wrote "Oh dear flugel". I couldnt have summed it up better myself!!
  5. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Derek Bourgeois said of Hillingdon Band 'If you could hear yourselves from where I'm sitting, you would wince'

Touch harsh, we thought!!
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Had a comment a long time back about me thus... "Solo Cornet played well, but just sometimes is a little pear shaped"... so I went on a diet...:):)
  7. Masterblaster jnr

Is that to become banana shaped?
  8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

not an official comment but I do remember an adjudicator telling our MD, Billy Rushworth that he should never be allowed to do his own comparing at an entertainments contest - because "as soon as you open your mouth you lose your band four points."

I've a feeling he was joking... ;)
  9. Di B

Di B Member

A few funny ones I can recall....

Firstly, not from an adjudicator but 4 bars rest.
    I have helped out Bestwood Band and instead of concentrating on the bands music they seem to constantly comment on Brian's (M.D) sense of dress instead. I never knew they were fashion critics!

With Matlock at Leamington the adjudicator summed up at the end of the contest that one band played so loud they would have sounded better playing in the car park! Yep, it was us :) Personally, I think the adjudicator was upset 'cos we made his tea spill everywhere with our vibrations ;-)

The final one relates to an acquaintance of mine was informed that he had 'no shape or tone' I wouldn't mind, but I'd kill to get the tonal quality he has!
    The same adjudicator a couple of weeks later highly praised the same player - obviously batteries had been replaced in the old hearing aid!
  10. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

I recall going to Dronfield Contest with Heage Band some years ago on Soprano, we played 'Overture for an Epic Occasion by Denis Wright, the adjudicator pulled our conductor (Tom Street) to smithereens on his tempos and dynamics, nothing was said in the remarks on how we played at all ................................
  11. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Bass drum is Oppresive! A while back now! (from tMP's JR)

I prefer an orchestral bass drum - national finals 4th section cardiff (97?) i'd used a kit bass drum so my three spare hands could hit everything available!! Fussy ******!
  12. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Superb Sop at the Northumberland miners picnic a few years ago. We also won the prize for best sop. Only problem was we didn't actually have a sop playing that day
  13. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Here we go -----

after forgetting what the hell I was playing during an ad lib cadenza at Malton ent contest - see sarcastic comments in other thread - where there was a silence for what seemed like 30 mins ( I lost about 3 stone in fluids and soiled my favourite underpants) Our already follically challenged conductor started losing hair from various body cavities and several elderly cornet players had seizures --- the adjudicators comments " not convinced by the ending" --- surprisingly I didnt get the soloist prize.
    But I have managed to get many reminders of the sorry episode ever since!!!
    I think they call it character building.
  14. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Having had the good fortune to spend a couple of years being conducted by him, I can vouch that JR does have a sharp wit for that kind of thing.

"Basses can we have that again 'Senza ton of coal' please?" Was a favourite of mine.
  15. Masterblaster jnr

Found one where i was told to

"Curve my enthusiasm to blow down a brick wall!"
  16. 2004gwyno

2004gwyno New Member

I played in the British Open Solos Comp last Saturday, and Mark Wilkinson & Peter Roberts seem to have had different opinions about me!!
    one said- good, confident start
    the other- Hesitant start!!!
  17. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

At the area's 3 or 4 years ago we got a comment from the box commending our beautifully played flugel solo, a good comment to get except that our flugel had broken moments before the solo was due to come up and our 4th man on the front row stuck it in at a moments notice instead.
  18. dyl

dyl Active Member

Anybody want to mention the Eric Ball story? I'm sure it's at least a month since it's been referred to....................

19. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Eric Ball, conducting one of his own pieces, was told in writing by the adjudicator, "This is not how the composer would want it played."

Happy to oblige, Dyl.
  20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I think the test piece was Resurgam