What strange places do you practice in alone?!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matthew, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

It struck me (like it does occasionally), just now while I was practicing on my own, that should I be observed hopping between my spare bedroom (aka 'my' practice room) and the bathroom (yes, the bathroom, seriously!) for the last hour how odd it would look to the casual observer! :eek:

Either they would think me quite mad or think it was some kind of ritual...?!

My spare bedroom has a very 'dead', dark sound and I can't hide many imperfections in it, when practicing alone, so it's a perfect choice to regularly do my home practice. However, I then sometimes like to hop into the bathroom to hear the difference (and for a change of scenery) in sound/tone and practice 'feel', etc, etc.

What strange places do you (regularly) practice in for personal practice?! :lol:
  2. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Do you do this hopping with your B flat Bass in hand?!! I just practise in my bedroom, very dead sound as you say, good for improving tone!
  3. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

:lol: Absolutely! ;)
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Normally practice in our third bedroom. Its totally dead and I sound really **** in it, but as you say it all helps...:)

Erm....I compelled to ask, where do you sit? ;) :D :redface:
  5. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

:lol: It really is a bathroom (e.g. no loo in case you're wondering!). ;)
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ahh OK I was going to ask you if sitting on the toilet gave you a good posture for playing or not....;)
  7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

We had an integral garage as well as a "Proper" garage.
    We had the integral one converted into a 4th spare "guest" bedroom which I use for practice because it is the room furtherest away from the neighbours.
    The ceiling is only 7ft instead of the normal 8ft and I sound even C**p**r than at band.
    Is this actually possible ?
    - Wilky
  8. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Nice note 'bounce back' then Wilky?! :)

On the subject of consideration to neighbours, that is a very important point. :) In our last house, I'd never play after 6pm, with agreement/consultation from our neighbours. In our current place, which is detached and has 'european style' shutters which I can operate to cover the window on the outside when I'm practicing (further muffling of noise), I can play with no disturbance to neighbours. :)
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  9. Good question Matthew. I live in a flat in a generally very quiet block, and finding somewhere to practice is a problem. At the moment I'm using a very quiet home-made practice mute. It is really difficult to play on and is improving my tone no end. I've been talking to the local clergy this week, hoping they will let me use a rural church near here. It is in the middle of a field and is left open for visitors all day. Another idea suggested to me, by two completely separate people, is to find a little quarry up on the mountain!
  10. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

I have got two places I like to practice at home - the kitchen and funnily enough, the bathroom! Trouble is, there is no double glazing in the bathroom so I have to be careful about the times that I play in there to avoid annoying the neighbours or more importantly, to avoid heckling from my son's little friends outside!! :redface:
  11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

When I first started to teach myself the trumpet, my wife banned me from the house. I used to practice sitting in my car, in the garage down the bottom of the garden, with Tune a Day Book One balanced on the steering wheel. :)
  12. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

this is a variation of a technique that some of us teachers use in order to get students practising at the beginning of their learning (when practising first starts getting to be a chore).

Tell the students to practise in every room of the house and see which one they sound best in. Not only do they discover that different rooms have different acoustical properties (which many find fascinating) but it also gets them practising:clap:

I have had a phone conversation with a frustrated Mum - "since you set little Johnny that every room task we can't stop him practising in the bathroom, he says he sounds best in there."
    I'm not sure his big sister appreciated it :biggrin:
  13. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

My oddest place was when I used to practice at sea sat in the steering gear compartment at the back end of a War ship trying to play above the sound of hydraulic rams and water sloshing up against the side!
  14. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Rapier - I felt quite sorry for you reading that! ;)

But after reading Cornishwomble's practice room blues, I feel quite sea sick! :D
  15. i normally practise in the kitchen... annoys the neighbours less, living in a semi detached house, lol. Although im still trying to work out whether the rattle i have on my instrument is caused by the pans vibrating or a loose piece of soulder (excuse the spelling!) :confused:
  16. sooooper sop

sooooper sop Member

I occasionaly practice in my garden, much to my neighbours amusement....they come round to watch!
  17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

When our band quailifed for the nationals in 2003 (1st Section) i used to take my instument into work when the others had gone i got what work there was to be done and then practised my part, that was in a Butchers Catering Unit.
    The only thing was we share the site with 3 other companies so i told them to say nowt to the gaffa or i would have had a right old telling off:biggrin:
  18. BrianT

BrianT Member

Strange Practice Rooms

As we live in an end-terrace, I practise in the downstairs toilet, which is on the outside wall of the house. I have to play with a practice mute, otherwise my ears are ringing when I come out.

Best practice room I ever had was when we went off-season to a big campsite in Wales, and I had the sports hall to myself for a week. I could play as loud as I wanted and the acoustics were fabulous!

At a previous job, I used to practice at lunchtimes in the basement of a factory building. Someone upstairs could just about hear me playing in the distance, and was convinced by a wily colleague that what they were hearing was the sound of a ghostly trumpet player who'd fallen to his death down the lift-shaft into the basement years ago. They actually believed this for a while...

I've also had fun playing (only for a few minutes) out of the window of a block of flats abroad on a concert tour, and the echo coming back from the block opposite was really entertaining (for me anyway).
  19. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

My current band practice in the police canteen...not that strange but my previous band practice in what was the old rifle range on an army camp and I have been to another band who practiced in a small room (and I mean small) in the basement of a brewery (so not all bad)

In my old workplace I used to practice in a storeroom where all the survey equipment was stored in the basement at lunchtimes. The only problem was it had an internal door and an external door and occaisionally people would enter from the external door to put back some equipment from their cars and come face to face with me practicing! Some very shocked faces occaisionally!