What solo is the most bitched about?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hells Bones, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

What do you guys think it is?

2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

It's possible I've pushed the Acrobat to the top of that list on my own.

3. sarah_bari#1

sarah_bari#1 New Member

Not a solo admittedly - more of a feature - but 76 Trombones seems to have a little place of hatred in my trombone sections' hearts!!:sup

4. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

C Bb/ AF/CA/F--, anyone who knows me will recognise this early notation from my favourite solo and signature tune. The bitching I have put up with, about 30+ years of this solo, you would not believe!
    The problem is, I love it and so do the entertainment contest adjudicators! I will not name it, so as to allow a little dignity to remain when I have it played at my funeral!;)

5. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Never, ever, ever agree to play trombone for The Music Man, 76 trombones in every key you can imagine, grrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

6. David Mann

David Mann Member

We used to sing "Ma-ark Smith, Mark Smith, Mark Smith" to it (quietly, of course):wink:.

My pet hate is "Solitaire".

7. grausue

grausue Member

Oh, Lynchie, you are so not on your own. I LOATHE this piece.

:)

Sue

8. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Think Tuba smarties there always someone that ******* about it! lol

9. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

nessun dorma - nice piece, played to death
    "Orange Juice" - ditto !

10. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    guys
    solo
  12. Scongie

Scongie Member

O Holy Night. Bah Humbug!

13. David Mann

David Mann Member

14. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

On which instrument Dave? Each time I see you play, it's on a different instrument! Is there a section of the band that you haven't played in?
    I have dabbled with other solos, but from hearing my mentor Dave Gough play it, back in 1972, with Pressed Steel Fisher Band, I was determined that it would become 'my piece'.
    Steve Cooper took the p' terribly about it, along with his attempt at a Brummy accent, " Alright?" -ing me all the time!
    Sadly, it looks like I have hung up my mouthpiece for the last time. Travelling distances are becoming more of a concern to me, and some bands in this area think of you as an 'has-been', as a soloist, at my age! The problem is, the longer I leave it, the more likely that supposition will become.:cry:

15. David Mann

David Mann Member

I have still to experience the joy of regular tuba playing, but my wife won't have one in the house!

If it could be arranged, perhaps you could do a guest soloist spot for Gretton - although we're not quite in the West Midlands.

16. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

With pleasure!:D

17. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Bendedictus from 'The Armed Man' gets heaps of stick from within, but it's amazing that the people who moan most about it go away humming the main theme...

18. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

The happy hippo.....

I just despise it. Not showy enough to get away with not being funny, not funny enough to get away with being easy. Just plain tedious.

I've flatly refused to play it on more than one occasion.

19. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

And people act so surprised when I refuse to play it

20. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Aren't you given a choice, Duncan?

21. tuba90

tuba90 Member

Tuba Smarties might be bitched about but it still entertains the audience, even better when the soloist dresses up.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    guys
    solo