What Software?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DLogan, Sep 24, 2005.

1. DLogan

DLogan Member

I have recently got our band web site up and running again www.dalmellingtonband.org.uk. I am quite pleased with the way it is looking but the only software I had to create it was microsoft publisher which seems to be a bit limited with what it can do. I would like to add more stuff like scrolling text or photos that enlarge when you click on them but don't seem to be able to do that with publisher. Also the publisher file on my PC is now over 100MB.

What software does everyone else use to create their websites. I need something which is simple to use as I haven't got a clue about HTML and Codes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Diane
    Dalmellington Band

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    publisher
    something
    text
    bit
    microsoft
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

Dreamweaver... but that's a tad expensive!

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

If you've done that with publisher you are amazing!

If you can't afford dreamweaver (which is a ridiculous price) and don't want its very steep learning curve, you could try FrontPage. It's easy to use and you can do quite a few things with it. Some people don't like it but I can't afford dreamweaver and I'm getting too old for such steep learniong curves. These days I prefer gentle slopes, beaches and cocktails ;)

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Diane,

I agree with Mike here. MS FrontPage, though not highly thought of by true programmers, is very good if you are just starting to learn about coding and html. Do remember though that when using FP, it inserts unnecessary html statements into the code that only serve to identify that code as originally written using FP!!!

As web page code is text/html: it might also be a good idea for you to obtain a good text Editor, I use AceHTML 5 (I must upgrade soon, latest is 6) which is an excellent all purpose text editor. It auto formats many text type files such as php, html, java etc so that when you view them, they are colour coded and arranged i line numbers etc ready for easy editing and amending. There is also an output/preview window that does as it says on the tin - shows you the output of your html/php/etc file.

If you do this though Di then you should also get on the web and learn HTML coding. There are a plethora of www sites out there that give lessons and show how to code in html. Have a google for them - but here's a few excellent ones that have helped me;

http://www.w3schools.com/
    http://www.htmlgoodies.com/

Once you get into this you might also find you should learn CSS...

http://www.tizag.com/cssT/

Hope this helps Di... shout if you need more.

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Diane, dreamweaver is the best. Can be as easy or as complex as you want to make it. All of my stuff is done in dreamweaver and I wouldn't use anything else. As for expense, if you have any teachers or full time students in the band then it can be bought quite legally on ebay for under £100.

7. NeilW

NeilW Member