What percent of your band's concert repertoire is original brass band music?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Apr 10, 2012.

?

What percent of your band's concert repertoire (by time) is original brass band music

1. ~100%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ~90%

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. ~80%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ~70%

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. ~60%

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. ~50%

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  7. ~40%

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. ~30%

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  9. ~20%

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  10. ~10%

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  11. ~0%

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

After a great post by Andrew Baker on the Classic FM Top 300 thread...I simply ask...What percent of your band's concert repertoire is original brass band music?

2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Ah, as in 'not arrangements'. For a second I thought this was about photocopying...

3. Will the Sec

Don't know the answer accurately without looking through the pad, but the band's next concert on 19 May will feature a brand new piece by YT.

4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I recon probably about 40/50% of the library, because it's huge and fairly old - however, if you're asking about what makes it to the concert platform, maybe only 10-15% of a program is original stuff for band. . .

5. blue juice

blue juice Member

In our current pads it is 32% original music for brass band, this may be slightly skewed as we have a songs from the shows concert coming up.

6. DublinBass

Just out of curiosity...what is the majority of the music your band plays that was NOT originally written for brass band? For us, I'd say movie music and arrangements of hymns...we don't do very many orchestral transcriptions or pop tunes.

7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Wow a world premiere from the pen of Yolanda Trussington. May well head over for that! Is it her brand new Bass Trombone Concerto?

8. DublinBass

Damn I can be slow sometimes...I knew the Yolanda Trussington name was fake...but was trying to search for a composer with the initials YT!

Only then did I get it! :-S

9. Laserbeam bass

Quite right Mr DB, Yolanda Trussington is a figment of my imagination, however their is another composer this could relate to Charles Whitey, who has written a lesser known piece called Reel 'em in. A musical representation of the angling scene on the thames estuary. This will be premiered along with the other YT's composition on May 19th.

10. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Hard to put in terms of a percentage, but I do try to make sure that every set-list includes at least one original work for band. Depending on the type of performance, this might be anything from an 'old favourite' march to (preferably) something a bit newer - possibly even a test-piece (or an excerpt from one) of the more audience-friendly kind.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Classic FM Top 300
    Andrew Baker
    Classic FM
    concert repertoire
    original brass band music
  12. Will the Sec

No, LBB, not a Bass trombone Concerto.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  13. Laserbeam bass

Phew

14. DublinBass

I do like test-piece excerpts! (sometimes difficult to find the cut to make it work by itself, but still good stuff)