What night for rehearsals?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Temporary Noble, Mar 12, 2006.

When to rehearse...?

1. Monday & Wednesday

6 vote(s)
  2. Monday & Thursday

27 vote(s)
  3. Monday & Friday

4 vote(s)
  4. Tuesday & Thursday

15 vote(s)
  5. Tuesday & Friday

4 vote(s)
  6. Wednesday & Friday

3 vote(s)
  7. Wednesday & Sunday

6 vote(s)
  8. Thursday & Sunday

2 vote(s)
  9. Once a week!

13 vote(s)
  1. Just wondering what everyone thinks are the best nights to rehearse, in terms of getting bums on seats?
  2. Carina

Carina Member

I'm not sure about what the "best" night is, but we rehearse on a Wednesday night. There are often a few people away due to sickness, or work/school commitments, but that would happen no matter what night of the week it was! As for getting people to turn up; they need to feel like it's worthwhile being there. Our rehearsals can be hard work, but also a lot of fun.
  3. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

We only rehearse once a week as well - Thursday nights. I wouldn't mind another night as well - say, Tuesday or maybe Monday. But, that's just our Brass Band night.

Tuesday is reserved for Community Band rehearsal. So I get twice a week anyway... or a least during the summer months.
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

One rehearsal a week is normal for Salvation Army bands, although there may be additional ones arranged if something special is coming up. Our practice is on a Thursday night, although many of us are also involved in the songsters (choir) which meet on Wednesdays.
  5. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Friday nights at Lydney

We rehearse on Friday nights and have additional rehearsals (usually Sunday afternoons & Tuesday nights) for the run up to contests.

We have extended our rehearsals to 10pm to help make up for the 1 rehearsal & that seems to be working quite well.
  6. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Mon and Thursday is what we do at Brum... Works well - but bonly because you can arrange other things that you do around band! :-D
  7. persins

persins Member

We rehearse on Mondays and Thursdays. I'm not sure you can have a best night to rehearse really because everybody's life is different. You are always going to have some problems with attendance since it is very difficult to get 25 players plus percussion there every week, twice a week.
  8. postie

postie Member

Well we rehearse on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8pm till 10pm obviously with extra added nearer contests.
  9. We rehearse Tuesday and Friday by the way. I just wonder how much it affects recruitment and attendance of players, with parties and nights out often being on a Friday... Plus the end-of-the-week feeling...
  10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Wednesday and Sunday!
  11. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Mondays for the National Capital Band, Wednesdays for Arlington Citadel. The NCB has been rehearsing once a week on Mondays since at least 1961.
  12. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Tuesday and Thursday for us, with an extra added on Sunday in the run-up to a contest.

I don't think any night is better than another, the main thing is that it's consistent so people know where they are.
  13. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

We rehearse wednesdays and fridays. More people seem to come on fridays. I think, maybe it's the other way round. Think it depends on the band as to what nights are best though.
  14. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

We rehearse Wednesday and Friday on a regular basis, lots of other nights leading up to a contest!

I think it's very difficult to say what nights are the best for fuller rehearsals. But Wednesday definitely seems to be the night when most get. For some, Friday is a bad night. The end of the week, Friday night out etc...... I personally like Friday night rehearsals, the end of the working week (for me anyway), I don't have to rush home afterwards because I'm not getting up early for work. Friday also tends to be the night that more of us go to the pub afterwards for a drink. However, I know there are a few that would prefer not to rehearse on a Friday, but when we have discussed changing this rehearsal, there's always someone that wouldn't be able to make the new rehearsal day on a regular basis.

On saying all this, most of our players turn up to all rehearsals except for work commitments, and this would be the same for them whatever night we rehearse on.
  15. Souter

Souter Member

We were doing Monday and Thursday but with a large number of under 18 members, when the rugby and hockey season starts we were having rehearsals of 10 to 12 members, which when a few of our members travel long distances is really demoralising. We changed the practice nights to Thursday and Sunday and although thursday is not fully attended (It is better than a monday was) the Sunday evening rehearsals are more often than not 100% full now.
  16. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

We rehearse Mondays and Thursdays, which is fine, but student night has just been moved to Mondays which is annoying...avoid student night!! :rolleyes: :)
  17. Key2207

Key2207 Member

We have band Monday and T hursday. We have most people there each practice. :p
  18. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Monday, Thursday seem to be the most popular nights, I think Fridays are best avoided, as most people (me included) are on winding down mode. We rehearse Wednesday, Sunday which suits me perfectly.
  19. Feefee

Feefee Member

I like wednesday rehersals because that way ppl rnt too tired as it middle of week! Ppl have generally had the weekend off and work monday tuesday wednesday then they have band wednesday nite, If u have it on a friday ppl are generally tired from working all week which mean u have a bad rehersal! However fridays rnt too band as u have the weekend free after dat! Monday are gud too because it helps you wake up a little from the weekend!